Waypoint overload

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
suzukizone
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Re: Waypoint overload

Post by suzukizone »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:51 am
suzukizone wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:51 pm Making progress learning to plot routes in Basecamp and run with my Zumo 660LM. One issue I am stuck on.
So I do get the entire route read to me as I plotted it, beginning to end BUT have to listen to "Jack" blabbering about all these waypoints which I had set by clicking my route out, step by step.

There must be a way to pass the route over to the Zumo as a continuous and singular event and not a series of short runs that make up the whole. :roll:
DH
When you click on all of those points in Basecamp, you are creating Via Points. These all get "announced". What you need to do is change these Via Points to Shaping points, which are NOT announced.

Double click on the route in Basecamp, so it opens up and you see a list of all of the points. You should now highlight all of the points that you want to edit. Once they are highlighted, right-click the mouse and you will have an option to change them so they do not Alert On Arrival. If there are any that you want to have announced, set those points to be Alert On Arrival. Transfer this route to your Zumo. It should work.

Capture.JPG

Thanks again MSTOCK27370. Sometimes it takes me awhile to get to things. So I have tried this method you offered 4 or 5 times. Although the waypoints are clearly marked "will not announce", they still do. Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye. Possibly I have to use MapQuest and learn new tricks. There are some other posts I have to review and also want to try to get input from Garmin, though the last few I spoke to there hare been a bit skeezy as things they told me were dead wrong as I worked out solutions. Anyway just wanted to get back to you directly as to how the 660 handled this situation.

Stay safe!

DH
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Well, I'll give you something else to try... I didn't bring this up in my earlier post because I don't use a 660. But, since you say that the first option didn't work for you I will suggest this.

I own a 450 and 550. They do not use the "will not announce" function. Garmin recommended ( in the past) that routes for those be created with MapSource. For the 450 and 550, if you place a Via Point directly on an intersection, the device will treat it as though it was a shaping point and it will not announce that point. It will just use the point to guide the route onto specific roads, through specific intersections. If instead, you place the Via Point on the road just after the intersection, then the spot will be announced. Since it is located just after the intersection, the directions in the device will direct you to the turn and then immediately after making the turn at that intersection, the via point will be announced, you will pass it and the next turn will appear in the turn by turn directions. Remember, this is my experience with the 450 and 550. I don't have first hand experience with the 660.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

On the 660, stored Waypoints alert on arrival (no matter what it says in the route properties in Basecamp). Other points do not.

I notice that if I use the route creating tool to create a route, it does tend to give you points from its database. These could be behaving like waypoints. I prefer to create my own waypoints where I need them and create a route using them and then use the insert tool to add the addition points that shape the route. It can still land on known waypoints, but not as often as using the route tool.

I don't think it makes any difference, as I am pretty sure that the Zumo 660 just ignores the tags that make a route point an announcing Via point for the later Zumos - but maybe prudent to highlight them all and make them non alerting.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
suzukizone
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by suzukizone »

Thanks jfheath, trying to grasps what you are relaying here. I'll enumerate them, as such;

1. "I notice that if I use the route creating tool to create a route, it does tend to give you points from its database"

Should I take it "route creating tool" is the little icon with 3 boxes connected by lines? This would be the tool I use to click on the map to create my desired route? Also please, if you would explain "database" is that a database of clicks I have created from previous routes? Or is it just a pool of info in the map or the device?

2. "I prefer to create my own waypoints where I need them and create a route using them and then use the insert tool to add the addition points that shape the route."

Are you saying you create these waypoints by clicking using the tool I mentioned above to create a route? Or are you stating that you create a route by just listing a start and end point and then shape it in some way to customize the route.??

Man I must sound dumb but I have waypoints, viapoints shaping points route creation and sudry rolling around in my head. My competency here is obviously not up to the task. Wish I could sit down with someone at the computer and learn in real time.

I try to read the tutorials or watch this stuff on YouTube but somehow it all looks easu until I try to get what I want and then I seem to end up in another dimension, one of sights and sounds with Rod Serling smoking a cigarette and asking me what is the signpost up ahead.

Well any clarification will earn you points from the sluggish geezer's club.

DH
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok. Thanks for the request for clarification. I'll give some brief specific answers here, but I'll send you a private message. I need to find out a bit more about your route that keeps announcing.
suzukizone wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:38 pm Should I take it "route creating tool" is the little icon with 3 boxes connected by lines? This would be the tool I use to click on the map to create my desired route?
The route creation tool is indeed the small icon at the top that has three tiny boxes connected by two lines. I never use it. It has never given me what I need.
suzukizone wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:38 pm Also please, if you would explain "database" is that a database of clicks I have created from previous routes? Or is it just a pool of info in the map or the device?
No, not the database of your clicks.

The 'database' is a list of thousands of places - hotels, pubs, shops, attractions, petrol stations, etc etc, etc. Each entry is a Waypoint and has an icon and lat/long coordinates along with other i fo like address and phone number. This what waypoints are. Points already created that you can put into your route if you wish. You can create your own (much shorter) list of Waypoints to add to your own route. There are advantages in using a stored Waypoint in your route - in the case of the 660, they announce as you approach and when you arrive. In the later Zumos, they are the only riute points that keep the name that you gave them in Basecamp.

You can search the database to find a hotel (say) in the area of the map that is on the screen. If you zoom-in close enough on the Basecamp map and have the map detail set to highest, you will get a map cluttered with icons of points in the database, particularly in built up areas. Hiver over one of these and you get the option to add the stored waypoint to your own route.

But you can also create your own stored Waypoints using the flag tool. This puts the waypoint into the 'list' window of Basecamp ready for it to be put into your route.

The Zumo 660 has its own list built in. It calls them 'Favourites, or Points of Interest.

Sometimes when you place a point for your route onto the map, it can land within a gnats whisker of a stored waypoint. Even if you have the map detail turned down low so that the icons dont show on the screen, they are still there. You think you are clicking on an empty bit of road, and an icin poos up saying you're routing through Joe's Diner. And because it has come up with a name that is stored in the database, that may make it announce when navigating.

suzukizone wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:38 pm Are you saying you create these waypoints by clicking using the tool I mentioned above to create a route?
No. i rarely use the route tool. It doesn't do what I want it to do. Usually I create my own waypoints with the flag tool. I give them a name that will make sense to me when I am riding, and I usually prefix them with a number. Sometimes a sequence number, sometimes a mileage.

I then use those waypoints to create the basis of my route. In a day long ride of maybe 200 miles I will have maybe just 4 or 5 Waypoints. A start, and end and 2 or 3 stop off points. The rest are just points that force the route along particular roads. What Basecamp refers to as Non announcing shaping points.
suzukizone wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:38 pm Or are you stating that you create a route by just listing a start and end point and then shape it in some way to customize the route.??
That is closer. See my answer above. I use named, flag Waypoints for the key points in the route, so if it is a short ride, yes, I may just have a start and an end point.
suzukizone wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:38 pm Man I must sound dumb but I have waypoints, viapoints shaping points route creation and sudry rolling around in my head. My competency here is obviously not up to the task. Wish I could sit down with someone at the computer and learn in real time.
No I disagree with you on this point. There is a lot of poor information out there. For example, it is common for the term 'Waypoint' to be used to refer to any point on a route. But we are using Garmin stuff, and the term Waypoint is very specifically defined. And when a Waypoint is put into a route on a Garmin device, it affects hiw the Zumo behaves.

So for the 660, a waypoint will announce approach and arrival. on the 595 and XT, these are the ponts on a route that the Zumo will use the name that you gave it in Basecamp. For the others, the Zumo is likely to change the name to something else.

To me, the only people that are dumb, are the ones that do not ask questions, and your questions have been very intelligent, attempting to seek out precisely the detail that you need to understand.

I just hope my answers have been able to address those.

But I need more info from you about your 'noisy' route and your chatty back seat driver. I'll send a private message and when I have more detail I'll put together a video which may help.

John

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

@suzukizone

One of the better tutorials is this one, you may find it helpful

https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I agree that the NER is a good tutorial, but in @suzukizone's case I don't think that it would help. The NER document, good as it is, does not put much emphasis on the type of route point that is created and how the various Zumos treat them.

I think that Suzukizone's issue it to do with somehow having too many Waypoints in his route rather than shaping/via points. The 660 does not know about the silent/announcing points. According to my testing documentation that I produced at the time I owned my 660, it relies on whether the point was created as a Waypoint, whether the point that was place on the route landed an an existing Waypoint or whether it was a point dragged in using the insert tool that didn't land on a known named location.

I've asked him to send me a copy of his over talkative gpx file, so that I can take a look and see exactly what is going on.

There is also the possibility of the Mapsource/ Basecamp issue, but I don't think that is the cause at this stage. If I load a Basecamp route into Mapsource, it simply strips out the tags that make the route point into an announcing Via Point. I used to use Basecamp with my 660 - although Basecamp has moved on a bit since then.

I'll report back from what I find out.

sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

jfheath wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:38 am I agree that the NER is a good tutorial, but in @suzukizone's case I don't think that it would help. The NER document, good as it is, does not put much emphasis on the type of route point that is created and how the various Zumos treat them.
Agreed, my thought was more aimed at the grasp of the basics, as @suzukizone queries what the route tool is etc :)

Working through the tutorial should help increase his understanding.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

PM sent to @suzukizone