Will Zumo re-route me to a via point that I've missed ?

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
davem37
United States of America

Will Zumo re-route me to a via point that I've missed ?

Post by davem37 »

It seems like my Zumo will not attempt to re-direct me to a via point that I've missed.

Imagine a simple route consisting of 5 via points. Points 1,2,4,5 are essentially a straight line. But I have to turn to get to point 3, and then basically return to where I turned from to resume the route. (Imagine going to a coffee shop and then returning.)

In this scenario, my Zumo tells me about the upcoming turn to point 3, but if I miss the turn, and stay on the route, it simply continues on to point 4.

I've tried playing with the 'auto calculation' setting (on/off) but this does not seem to have an impact.

Note that I'm using a 'route' instead of a 'track/triplog' because I want to see the display of upcoming waypoint names.

Is there a setting/technique that will allow me to achieve my goal ?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Re: Will Zumo re-route me to a via point that I've missed ?

Post by rbentnail »

It sounds like you could have a SHAPING point and not a VIA point. It would be helpful if you'd mention specifically which model you are using. On the 595 model, VIA points have to be manually skipped until you go a certain distance then it will either prompt you to skip it or just skip it on its own. Be sure it's a VIA point and that possibility might be eliminated.

Sometimes too the device will see a "crossover" of the route, as you've done by going out and back from/then to the same point in a route, as a deliberate intention of skipping a point. Here's option #1, it's what I do- split your route. Have the initial route end at the coffee shop. Then have route #2 start down the road a hundred yds or so in the direction where you're going. I learned to never have (in this case) the waypoint for the coffee shop as the start point. That can create another problem in itself.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

davem37 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:16 pm It seems like my Zumo will not attempt to re-direct me to a via point that I've missed.

Imagine a simple route consisting of 5 via points. Points 1,2,4,5 are essentially a straight line. But I have to turn to get to point 3, and then basically return to where I turned from to resume the route. (Imagine going to a coffee shop and then returning.)

In this scenario, my Zumo tells me about the upcoming turn to point 3, but if I miss the turn, and stay on the route, it simply continues on to point 4.

Is there a setting/technique that will allow me to achieve my goal ?
In the 450/550 device world, I believe the answer is no. Once you continue on the path of the planned route, the device picks up the route from where you are and starts directing you towards the next point.

I have a lovely route in my Zumo (450 and a 550), that flows through the curvy backroads in north Carolina. There's a left turn on this route that takes me into a 20 mile loop of additional national forest two-lane roads (paved). When I approach this left turn I look at the time and make a choice depending on when I need to be back home. If I just go straight ahead and skip the left turn, my estimated "ArrivalTime" on the Zumo drops about 30 minutes once I get past the left by a mile or so, and the turn by turn starts pushing me to the next turn. If I stayed off route, the Zumo wouldn't pick up the directions, it would keep trying to direct me to that next point after the left. But once I return to the route the Zumo just picks up the route and keeps going.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
davem37
United States of America

Post by davem37 »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:00 pm It sounds like you could have a SHAPING point and not a VIA point.

I'm using 'via point's. I create most of my routes with My Route Application. It allows me to designate via vs shaping.

It would be helpful if you'd mention specifically which model you are using.

Its a 550.

Thanks
davem37
United States of America

Post by davem37 »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:17 am ......

In the 450/550 device world, I believe the answer is no. Once you continue on the path of the planned route, the device picks up the route from where you are and starts directing you towards the next point.

OK, that certainly matches my experience.

When I use routes such as this on my HD Boom GPS, it directs me back to my via point ............. until I choose to skip the via point - I really prefer that behavior. But looks like I cant achieve that with my Zumo 550.

Thanks.