Duplicate vs. Copy Operation

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
m185945
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Duplicate vs. Copy Operation

Post by m185945 »

Does anyone know the difference between these two options when it comes to routes? I tried them both but could not detect a difference. My funny logic is why call them two different things if they are identical. I'm hoping one does something the other does not so I can decide when to use either.
Novice using the zumo XT.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Re: Duplicate vs. Copy Operation

Post by Breezly »

They don't really have anything to do directly related to a route. They are very important to understand though in helping to keep your data in Basecamp organized. Keep in mind that the Basecamp My Library works in a database fashion and Copy and Duplicate have very different effects.

For example, what you see in My Library as a waypoint name is actually a label that directs BC to the actual data item. Using the Copy feature to copy the waypoint to another List or List Folder does not copy the underlying data just the label that directs BC to the underlying data. Since both labels are pointing to the same data item, if you make changes to either one the other will also be changed.

Duplicate on the other hand makes a new item of data. So if you then make changes to the new item it will not affect the original.
Last edited by Breezly on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
m185945
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by m185945 »

Excellent and superb explanation. Answered my question perfectly. You've made me a fan of DUPLICATE.

THank you very much.
Keith
Novice using the zumo XT.
khunpaul
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by khunpaul »

Excellent explanation above.
As a practical example: these two functions are very important to me. I have a record of all my 100s of walks downloaded from my GPSMAP 64st. When I want to create a new walk I grab a few walk histories near the proposed area and COPY them in to a planning folder. Then I DUPLICATE one or two and create a new walk plan from this data.
Then I use REMOVE FROM ... to remove those copied to this folder whilst preserving the original data.