Routes not behaving properly

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
davem37
United States of America

Routes not behaving properly

Post by davem37 »

I created a route (to see Christmas lights at various addresses) about a year ago that behaved properly on my Zumo 550 last year and it guided me to my waypoints as expected.

I tried to use that route this year and it seemed like it was behaving in 'off road mode' and did not direct me to make turns as expected. I'm probably not describing this really well, but hopefully you get the idea. Instead of seeing a 'Turn in xxx', it just shows an arrow.

If I use 'Where to' and enter an address, the GPS behaves properly.

I've re-booted the Zumo, deleted the route and re-imported it - still not behaving correctly.

I'm running map version 2021.20. Software version 5.00

I use My Route Application to create routes.

Any suggestions ? Thanks.
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Routes not behaving properly

Post by jfheath »

The map in the Zumo needs to be identical to the map that you used to create the route. Since you are using MRA in order to create the route, this will never be the case. In which case the Zumo will need to recalculate the route before it can navigate it successfully.

I cannot remember the features available in the 550 - mine died years ago, so excuse my suggestions if the features don't exist on the 550.

But some things to check

Make sure that you have not turned automatic recalculation off.
Make sure that the route is designated as a motorcycle route - in MRA (if this is possible)
Make sure that the route is set as a motorcycle route when it is loaded into the 550
Check your routing preferences in the 550 eg faster, shorter, off road

On later models, some of this info is transferred from the route that was set in the software that you use to create the route. I'm not sure how MRA and the 550 behave in this respect - but you should be able to alter it once the Zumo has received the route. Doing that will force the route to recalculate using the Zumo's maps.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
davem37
United States of America

Post by davem37 »

jfheath, thanks for the suggestions, but still no luck.

I should mention that when I 'show map' on the zumo, I can see the waypoint flags, and it mentions that the number of 'via points'. But the waypoints are not 'utilized'.

When I open the route, select 'edit' and 'recalculate', it takes me directly to the end point.

So wondering if I need to change the 'type' of the waypoint some how ?
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'll say what I think may be the issue, but it has been a very long time since I used a 550. Mine dies, and I sent it to be repaired, enclosing my cheque for £100, or whatever it was in those days. By return of post, they sent me a brand new 660 in a new sealed box - they didn't have any refurbished 550s to give me. Since the 660, I've had the 590, which I keep switching software to and from the 595, and now have that and an XT. They are all a bit different.

So please treat my comments with suspicion. My memory may be a little confused.

Generally speaking, there isn't a tool to put a waypoint into a route using Basecamp or Mapsource. The Waypoint has to exist as a separate item first. That is the definition of a Waypoint - a saved location that may be of interest that you may want to put into a route. Or you may want to keep for future interest.

If you have a Waypoint that has been transferred to the Zumo, it may appear on the screen, but not as part of the route. It just appears as a symbol on the screen letting you know that it is there. It won't navigate you to it - unless you have put deliberately made it part of your route.

I don't know if MyRouteApp will deal with Waypoints.

I did experiment with it 18 months ago for a friend who was having issues. There seemed to be two ways of creating a GPX file. One using v1.1 , one using v1.0 . This is what I wrote to my friend in May 2019:

-----

I've had another go with MyRouteApp and the GPX1.0 and GPX 1.1 files formats.
Both create a route file, both create a track file.

1.0 creates a route with all Via Points
1.1 creates a route with all shaping points.

1.0 on mine creates a route that follows roads.
1.1 creates a route joined up with straight lines. This route could not be navigated without forcing a recalculate on the Zumo. I haven't seen this before, so I repeated the experiment with the same result. Its as if the route was set to be an off road route.

Both of them created a route in the Zumo which was slightly different from the route on MyRouteApp. (But that is normal with gpx files from third party software).

-----

I don't remember the track files - but if the use of each export version (1.0 and 1.1) is creating a track as well as a route, make sure that you are trying to navigate the route, not the track. It must be obvious, otherwise I would have mentioned how to tell the difference.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.