590 Route recalculated after converting from imported tracks

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
oscar
Mexico

590 Route recalculated after converting from imported tracks

Post by oscar »

My 590 recalculates my routes after I convert them from tracks. But this only happens when I select 'end' when it asks to select the Next Destination. If I select 'begin', it will calculate a route to the beginning of the chosen route and it will leave it intact. No problem there. The problem starts when I have traveled part of the selected route and I hit 'end'. It will calculate a whole different route from my current point to the 'end' point. This is very frustrating after all the time and effort designing and building your own trip. Everything is not lost, though. If I go to the tracks and convert it again, it will show the original route again but the same thing happens if I select 'end'. Any idea of what is happening or am I missing something? How can I prevent zumo from recalculating the converted route? Under navigation preferences, the Off-Route Recalc is set to off . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks .
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: 590 Route recalculated after converting from imported tracks

Post by sussamb »

Add some intermediate viapoints so you have something more to select than simply start or end.
oscar
Mexico

Post by oscar »

sussamb wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:02 pm Add some intermediate viapoints so you have something more to select than simply start or end.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried editing the route adding viapoints but it needs so many, it becomes impractical to do it on the device. I practically had to go through the whole remainder of the route using the 'browse map' tool. Zooming in and out to see if I'm on the right road and direction. Imaging doing that for each day of the trip. Doing this makes designing the trip on the laptop and transferring the gpx files lose its convenience. But why does it do that only when I choose 'end'? If I choose 'begin', it nicely calculates a route to take you to the Beginning and keeps the route identical to the original tracks.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That's how trip planner works. It calculates the route to whichever point you select and then follows the route to the end. Clearly if you select the end then it calculates the route to there too. It's logical for most people but won't suit everyone.

I'm confused though when you say you have to insert lots of viapoints. Just a few would at least give you options.

Do it when you're planning the routes on your PC, then it's easy.
oscar
Mexico

Post by oscar »

sussamb wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:46 am That's how trip planner works. It calculates the route to whichever point you select and then follows the route to the end. Clearly if you select the end then it calculates the route to there too. It's logical for most people but won't suit everyone.

I'm confused though when you say you have to insert lots of viapoints. Just a few would at least give you options.

Do it when you're planning the routes on your PC, then it's easy.
Thanks Sussamb. That worked! I included a few more viapoints through out the route while doing the route on the PC. They do get transfered in the gpx file with the tracks. Unfortunately the viapoints don't get 'included' in the converted route. I had to manually insert each one by editing the converted route. But at least you don't have to browse the map, you can select them from the SAVED places. If I have to manually do this, I'm not sure if it makes much sense to do the tracks on the PC first. I'll keep trying different things.

Zumo 660 worked a bit different. Once I had converted the imported tracks to a route, it would keep the route regardless of where along or off the route you are positioned. No need for viapoints.