Uk lane mapping

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Ben

Uk lane mapping

Post by Ben »

Hi I would like to ride the uk lanes in adventure route , but the zumo xt wil only take me on B roads or A roads , do I need to change or by new maps
Thanks
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Uk lane mapping

Post by sussamb »

If you're talking about green lanes they aren't on the map that came with your Zumo. I doubt there is a map that will do what you want but you could try googling Garmin OSM maps.

There are lots of free OSM maps that work for hiking so you may find something suitable
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I was always under the impression that the TOPO maps was for this sort of thing? :?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Topo maps are often not routeable. In UK for example the Garmin OS maps aren't although they have an underlying road map so will route on roads. OSM maps if routeable often only route on parts of the map. I have numerous OSM maps on my GPS that I use when hiking but use them in conjunction with BaseCamp using direct activity as using a routing activity never takes me the way I want to go :D
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Ben wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:16 pm Hi I would like to ride the uk lanes in adventure route , but the zumo xt wil only take me on B roads or A roads , do I need to change or by new maps
Thanks
The only way to check if an off road route is 'legal' to ride/drive with a motor vehicle in the England & Wales is to check on the individual 'Counties' definitive map for the area, to check its right of way status. You need to remember that there are no legal off road routes in Scotland.

Your best bet would be to join the 'TRF' and speak to a local group who could then guide you in a particular area on 'legal' routes.
The best maps for England & Wales are those produced by Ordnance Survey, these show all off road routes, footpaths,byways & bridleways, but they are NOT an accurate indication of there vehicle status. Only the Councils definitive map shows this, which is available online from most Councils.It will also show any seasonal closures for the listed routes. Sadly the XT will not run Ordnance Survey maps, you would need to use OSM, which are free of charge, and very similar to the Topo's that that come with the XT.
You cannot run routes off road, you will need to follow 'tracks'.

The TRF is easily your best bet https://www.trf.org.uk/.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi all thanks for the comments . im not looking to ride the green lanes or byways i would just simply like to ride the country lanes from A to B with as few main roads as possible.
thanks
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ah ok, when you said lanes you confused me, have a look in avoidances, on most devices you can at least set it to avoid major highways etc, no idea what the options on the XT are though, but it's in Settings, Navigation, Avoidances
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Ben wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:47 pm Hi all thanks for the comments . im not looking to ride the green lanes or byways i would just simply like to ride the country lanes from A to B with as few main roads as possible.
thanks
I'm guessing that selecting the curvy roads option will do as you ask. Not used it to actually see that it does do that!

Otherwise planning the route in Basecamp is going to work better I'd guess.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Oop North John wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:25 am Otherwise planning the route in Basecamp is going to work better I'd guess.
Yes, I agree, absolutely. IMHO allowing the device to pick the route will always be a disappointment. There's just not enough choices and let's face it- Garmin's way of choosing routes leaves much to be desired. If you have the time prior planning, especially route determination, is always a better option. Often I plan the first half and pick "Go Home" at the end of the day to see what I'll get from the big ol' Garmin bag of surprises.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A