For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Driving icon is along side of road - not on route

Post by Iris »

This has been happening a lot to me lately:
We are riding along and then I notice that my icon is not on the magenta line anymore. It’s tracking on another road next to the road I’m on or it’s in the middle of a river or out in a field.
My husband has the same unit 590LM (like mine). I’m the “tech” person and route creator for both units. His works fine and mine is driving in space.
Anyone have any suggestions? I’ve already done a hard reset. I have the latest maps.
It seems there is something wrong with the satellite tracking.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Driving icon is along side of road - not on route

Post by sussamb »

Is yours mounted differently to his? It's possible where it's mounted is affecting accuracy. Try swapping devices and see if yours still does the same thing.
Iris
United States of America

Post by Iris »

Oh my. I can't believe you just said the same thing the Garmin Tech Guy said (which I promptly poo-pooed).
Both of our bikes are identical and the gps is mounted in the same location on both bikes. So my natural response what "what? How can that be?"
Okay but perhaps you are right. Just to make sure I will try the unit on my other bike tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That's unusual :lol:

I had anticipated in my reply your bikes etc were different but it'll still be an interesting experiment. He doesn't have anything different fitted, does he, eg a camera? I had a cheap camera fitted once and it completely screwed up my Garmin due to poor electronics in the camera.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I would be inclined to check what satellites are picked up on both units while side by side
Iris
United States of America

Post by Iris »

Here’s my update.
We went for a ride in our FJR’s and there were no issues with losing satellite or odd tracking.
The problem seems to occur more on my DRZ.
The only difference between the two DRZ’s are that my windscreen is slightly higher and my GoPro is mounted on my brake reservoir and my husbands is on top of his helmet.
Maybe there is some weird interference with the gopro location??? It was not even powered on the last time we rode. I could try a different location anyway and see what happens.