Zumo 665 problem

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
BigKev72

Zumo 665 problem

Post by BigKev72 »

Hello all. I updated my 665 using Garmin express last night. Everything appeared normal at first, connected it up, it was recognized by express and told me that there was an update for my unit. I hit all the normal buttons and it went into a normal update sequence. I checked on it a couple of hours later and it said it was finished updating. I unplugged it as usual, replaced the battery cover and powered it on. All looked normal at first, it loaded up to the safety acknowledgment screen, opened up the home screen and then without any notice powered off. I tried to make it work by powering on and going through the same sequence a few times but no joy.
Next I plugged it back into the computer and it then began power cycling on and off repeatedly with no human interface. I had originally planned on restoring it from backup but it would not stay on long enough for the computer (and garmin express) to recognize it.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? I am in a bit of a bind as you might be able to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 665 problem

Post by sussamb »

Sounds like the battery is just flat and many usb ports don't provide enough power. Either charge it using a wall charger or on your bike and all should then be ok
BigKev72

Post by BigKev72 »

Battery is a full charge.

I heard back from Garmin, they essentially said that their update must have caused a problem and since it won’t connect to the computer there is no way to fix it. Due to the 665 being obsolete there is nothing they can do to fix or replace it. Their option was to give me a 30% discount on a 595...which is a cute idea if I had $489 at a loose end. So essentially I’m out of a GPS.

dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

Try a Master Reset.
BigKev72

Post by BigKev72 »

dave726 wrote:Try a Master Reset.
How do I do that?

Moose
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Post by Moose »

if I remember correctly you hold your finger down on the lower left corner of the screen while starting the unit keep it there till it say reset
BigKev72

Post by BigKev72 »

It was lower right, however the bastard thing is still power cycling of its own accord. Garmin is probably right that they killed it. Highly disappointing.
Well I’m officially done with Garmin for good, not worth spending money on crap that they screw up and kill and they even acknowledge that it was their update that did it but they don’t make it right. Going to explore some other options I guess.

sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Try googling Garmin Cure 3
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

BigKev72 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 pm Going to explore some other options I guess.
Contact PalmDr if you are in North America.
BigKev72

Post by BigKev72 »

Thanks both of you. The cure 3 would have been good if the device could be recognized by the computer but unfortunately it power cycles too rapidly to even be detected by usb.

I have a call in to palmdr right now and waiting for them to call me back. Hopefully they can do something with it. If not then it looks like a tomtom 550 is in my near future.