Can I stop my nav from recalculating my designed route?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
BradB
United States of America

Can I stop my nav from recalculating my designed route?

Post by BradB »

Hello,
I have created many routes using Basecamp for my Garmin Nav V on my 2014 BMW GS. The problem I have is that often when using the Nav and following a route, the Nav will recalculate and route me a DIFFERENT way, sometimes in a significantly different way. Its disconcerting and don't know how to keep in on "MY" designed path. :x

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

BTW, this is my first time here. I didn't know this forum existed. I sure have plenty of questions! :lol:
BMW R1250GS - Zumo XT / Cardo / iPhone.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Re: Can I stop my nav from recalculating my designed route?

Post by rbentnail »

Ask yourself this:

With my route as is, if I remove any one shaping/via point, will my route likely change?

If so, add more shaping points! Give it no choice but to follow your route. With older models we didn't have to do this but nowadays it's necessary. Really- try putting a shaping point about every 10-12 miles and see what happens. I learned the frustratingly hard way!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
H2R
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by H2R »

BradB,

If the problem is that you get off the route a bit and the GPS is suddenly recalculating your route, you should be able to fix that in Settings on your GPS. I believe there is a setting on the Nav5 called "off route recalculation." If you set this to Off the GPS will never recalculate when you leave the route. I prefer Prompted which pops up a box and asks you if it is okay to recalculate. That way you have a choice and are aware the change in route was made.

Another thing that I find is helpful is to make sure that the Motorcycle route settings are as close as possible on BaseCamp and your Nav5. The setting choices are not the exact same in both places so you can't be 100% the same, but you can get close. For instance, if you are avoiding highways, toll rolls and ferries in BaseCamp, do the same thing on the Nav5. The closer the routing preferences match for the motorcycling activity the better. That way you may be happier with the result if the GPS does need to recalculate.

If the GPS does recalculate on you keep in mind that you can pull over at a safe spot and reload your original route.

Enjoy the ride.
BradB
United States of America

Post by BradB »

These are great tips! Thanks so much. I will start to tighten up my routes and will definitely look into all my settings once again. Excellent! :)
BMW R1250GS - Zumo XT / Cardo / iPhone.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Route Properties.JPG
Route Properties.JPG (57.6 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
Customize Route Options.JPG
Customize Route Options.JPG (41.36 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
Another thing- when you make your route in Base Camp, select "Customize Route Options". Do this by double clicking the route name to open the Route Properties box. Click the "Route Options" tab.

Then tick the "Customize Route Options" box and fill out the info below that.

This may help to specify to your gps device to use custom selected parameters, kind of overriding the generic Base Camp or device ones. It helps immensely on the 595 model.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just note that rather than customise route options for individual routes you can also go to Edit, Options, Activity Profile from the BaseCamp tab bar then select the routing tab, this will set it for all routes using that activity profile. Note in this tab you can adjust the speeds on various road types that BaseCamp uses to calculate the route, some find this helpful to force BaseCamp to avoid, or use, certain road types by setting speeds higher or lower than the default ones.

While you're there note you can also set up your own activity profiles, I find this useful.
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Not to rain on the picnic, but I find it useful to force every pre-planned route to recalc before I take it out on the road. Why? Because if it survives that, I will not have unpleasant surprises out in the middle of nowhere.

If it does not survive intact, as others have said, add shaping points until it does.

I also set my zumo 660 to ASK before recalculating. Most times I answer No, because I can see how to rejoin the purple stripe. But sometimes it is useful to let it recalc.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE