590 + Cardo PackTalk

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
JerryK
United States of America

590 + Cardo PackTalk

Post by JerryK »

I am new to the site.. And so glad I found it ! Some great information..

I am running a 590LM and my group just purchased a number of PackTalk Bold com's. I was previously running a Sena 20S. So far the PackTalk has been great.. We are up to 3 users using DMC [Dynamic Mesh Communication], several more to go.

My S20 configuration was basically Phone to 590, 20s to the 590. Everything worked fairly well. Directions would go to a low level and and intercom was high.. Either talking or listening.. Same.. Unfortunately the 20S sucked at everything else.

So far the PackTalk is about 90% and here lies my issue...

When the 590 is giving directions the DMC Intercom is dropped. Actually dropped for an extra 5+ seconds after directions, before re connection. If I am talking or listening makes no difference the Intercom is muted, dropped, disconnected, whatever you want to call it.. If music is running and an intercom conversation starts, or I start talking, the music is reduced significantly, Intercom us up and all is good.. Honestly I wouldn't care if directions went off completely during the intercom conversation, intercom should be #1 Priority..

I have used the Cardo Connect app to configure the headset and the Intercom priority setting is checked.

I have tried pairing the 590 to Channel #1 and Phone to #2 then swapped them.. Same behavior. Intercom dropped with directions.

My Cardo guy says.. Pair the PackTalk Channel #1 to the Phone and GPS to channel #2.. Play music from the phone to PackTalk and Phone Calls to PackTalk.. I REALL DON'T WANT TO DO THIS.. As you 590LM users know.. it is very nice to control everything from the GPS.. Pick your music and see who is calling, make calls from your phone book.. it seems it would be a HUGE step backward to do what Cardo support says..

Any help would be appreciated..

THANKS in advance..
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Re: 590 + Cardo PackTalk

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

I found that running the 590 and packtalk that disconecting the bluetooth on the 590 and reconnected helped quality. Also BTW Packtalk is not offically tested and approved on the 590..595 yes but not 590.

Also I just connected the 590 to the packtalk on channel 2 and did not connect the phone. If you don't wan to do that you may be able to open up the dual channel bluetooth on your phone (worked on S8)
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
JerryK
United States of America

Post by JerryK »

I didn't get to ride this weekend, but the guy that runs our group was having the same problem.. He is running a Zumo 350.
That is both the 590 and 350 Instructions step on the intercom.

Is that your experience too??

I am really surprised there are not more guys jumping on this... Do you know if the 595 is better behaved? That is directions are muted during intercom?

I did find the same thing on the 590.. Music was cracking and popping like crazy.. Was horrible.. I stopped the Bluetooth. Then re started the connection and it was fine.. Which makes no sense.. That was a frustrating find. It sounded great in my basement when I was working on it then terrible on the bike... That is a good tip. I will mention this to support..
Rr1073
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Rr1073 »

I am wondering the same thing. It seems like you can’t have It both ways. If you connect phone to PTB on Bluetooth channel 1 and 590 to PTB on Bluetooth channel 2-GPS mode (this is the set up Cardo suggests) you lose all visuals and control from the 590 and the Smart Link app is not connected (no weather, etc.). If you connect phone to 590 and then 590 to PTB you lose 'Hey Siri' commands from the PTB and cannot use the Cardo app (phone is not connected to PTB). I am trying to figure out a way to have everything. I tried connecting phone to PTB and also to 590, and then 590 to PTB. As soon as my riding partner turns on his PTB my music level drops to about 50%.
Does anyone know if it is possible to have control and visuals from the 590 and also utilize 'hey Siri' commands along with the Cardo App? I can’t figure out a way to make this happen. Maybe it’s not possible?
JerryK
United States of America

Post by JerryK »

The only 590 control I seem to have lost is the 590 Phone volume control, I have no idea why. The other volume controls seem to work.

I have the PTB Bluetooth to my phone BUT I have that Bluetooth connection shut off during normal riding. When I tried to have both on [590 and Phone to PTB] there was a bad Bluetooth crash and nothing worked. When I want to use the Cardo Connect I have to disconnect Bluetooth at the 590, and the phone then enable the Bluetooth to PTB at the phone and the Connect app works fine. Which is OK for me. I don't have my phone available while riding to use the Connect app.

I did start a ticket with Cardo tech support. It took a long time but they did get back to me finally. The response was pretty poor. I think since my old SENA 20S could determine what was GPS and what was intercom and lower GPS instructions the Cardo should be able to do the same, especially since music goes low during intercom.

What is happening is simply volumes are reverse what it should be doing. That is, GPS is on and Intercom off.. Should be GPS off and Intercom on.. I would be OK if the GPS when off completely during intercom. I think that the PTB is seeing the GPS instructions as a phone call which I believe is a higher priority. So Killing intercom. I am going to remove the Phone connections and see if that solves it.

Here is the response from Cardo:
While we've had this issue before, unfortunately, there is no set solution. The Garmin 590LM is acting as a TFT-lite, [does anyone know what TFT-Lite is??] meaning that when your phone is connected to it, the GPS takes precedence and overrides the Packtalk DMC functionality.
Possibly by pairing your phone on channel 1 and the GPS on channel 2(phone). I have not had anyone try that pairing, so if it solves the issue, please let us know

FYI my buddy set his Cardo Ch#2 to his Garmin 350 as a phone and has the same intercom drop problem.

Yesterday I emailed back and offered to send them my 590 if they would look into a solution, my guess is that everyone is having the same issue. Maybe if more people complained that would get this issue resolved.

I do have 1 other guy that just got as new Garmin XP. I don't know if he has the issue or not. I may see him this weekend and will update this post.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have the 590 but I always have the sounds off

I have recently installed 595 software on mine though so can't really test it all
bald biker
Great Britain

Post by bald biker »

I have the phone paired to 590 and cardo with no problem. Calls come through 590 and music .
giuseppe66
Has liked: 5 times
Italy

Post by giuseppe66 »

JohnnyRidesAlone wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:19 pm I found that running the 590 and packtalk that disconecting the bluetooth on the 590 and reconnected helped quality. Also BTW Packtalk is not offically tested and approved on the 590..595 yes but not 590.

Also I just connected the 590 to the packtalk on channel 2 and did not connect the phone. If you don't wan to do that you may be able to open up the dual channel bluetooth on your phone (worked on S8)

bluethoot hardware it's the same for 590 and 595
giuseppe66
Has liked: 5 times
Italy

Post by giuseppe66 »

Already test everything. There is another discussion about 595 and Cardo. Alls Garmin use the same system. Problem is only Cardo that use 1 bluethoot chip for everything so you can hear only GPS or Intercom (you can test every type of connection on your Cardo but do not work). If you want hear intercom ON and GPS ON you must use not Cardo for now but only a system with 2 bluethoot chip (www.midlandeurope.com) . Cardo know very well this problem....but they know also that there is not solution for solve with 1 bluethoot chip. For problems with Garmin mediaplayer is because mediaplayer chip inside Garmin do not take exact door for comunication with his bluethoot chip. For solve there is only 1 method. Disconnect Garmin bluethoot (system menu) wait 2-3 seconds then unflag again and try start music. Do this 1 or 2 times. If sound is again bad, turn off your Garmin and restart 1 or 2 times. This is only the solution for take mediaplayer right door for bluethoot chip
JerryK
United States of America

Post by JerryK »

Giuseppe66.. Thank you so much.. I have been going back and forth with the Cardo guy and they keep insisting that it is my Bluetooth pairing.

I can say this, I am pretty pissed off that they [Cardo] NEVER mention this limitation of the PackTalk product. Frankly I would not have NOT purchased the product. My SENA 20S handled this with no problem!

What is very strange is that when directions are done I can hear the intercom very softly.

What they need to do is fix the firmware so that you can set it up so if there is an intercom conversation the GPS can NOT int interrupt. The Cardo Connect app indicates you can do this but best I can tell it doesn't work.

I don't know about you guys but, i would rather hear from the guy up front that there is a ROAD HAZARD then the next turn is 1/4 mile away !!