Zumo 660 and SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
menhir
United States of America

Zumo 660 and SD card

Post by menhir »

The last update (North America NT 2019.2) left my Zumo 660 within a hair's width of storage capacity.

It's good to go, but I'm going to add a micro SD card in case the next update crosses the line.
I don't want to lose Canada. I got plans. ;)

I've searched the web but found conflicting or confusing answers. If someone here could help me clear things up...

I think 8GB ought to serve my purposes...I don't use the device for anything but navigation...no music, pics, etc. But extra capacity doesn't cost much more if recommended. Preferred class/speed?

The how to...
I've used the "cloning method" ... which I'd really rather avoid ...on an older device but I'm led to believe that Express can just load the maps directly to the SD card on the 660 if requested. Is that so? I'd find out for myself but I'll soon be heading off for some travel so I don't want to actually experiment with the device at the moment.

If I can load the maps directly to the SD card, do I have to delete them on the internal memory to avoid any confusion with the device?

In short, any step by step info or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 660 and SD card

Post by sussamb »

8Gb will be fine. See this FAQ but basically Express should do it all for you.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=b ... =noProduct

However if you've used the cloning method on the 660 before then on the first occasion you may need to delete the old map files.
menhir
United States of America

Post by menhir »

sussamb wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:01 pm 8Gb will be fine. See this FAQ but basically Express should do it all for you.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=b ... =noProduct
Thanks. That looks plenty official, simple, and seems to cover all the bases. I like simple. :D
However if you've used the cloning method on the 660 before then on the first occasion you may need to delete the old map files.
No, I never used the cloning method on the Zumo660. In fact, I bought it to replace an older Nuvi that I had used the cloning method on.
Cloning worked, but loading new maps onto device after the original cloning proved to be problematic and time consuming. I got it done, but it was time to put that old horse out to pasture anyway.

While we're at it, and just for my own edification...
It looks like Garmin recommends anything between a class 2 and class 10 card. I know the class number refers to speed, but is there really any noticeable difference when using the device? Or is it just a matter of how long it takes to load the maps onto the card?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No, not in use as the class refers to write speed not read speed. I've used maps on cards for years without issue.
menhir
United States of America

Post by menhir »

Well, you just saved me a few dollars.
I have an 8GB class 2 in my desk drawer.

Cheers. :D
bcihil
United States of America

Post by bcihil »

Another way to free up space is to remove all unused languages, vehicles, voices, and jpg files. Save then to your computer in case you want to use them later.
If you open windows explorer, you can see where these files are. Make a folder on your computer with the same foler names and copy them before you delete them on the GPS. Should give you enough room to put all the new maps on the unit.
Western PA
Zumo 660
menhir
United States of America

Post by menhir »

bcihil wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 pm Another way to free up space is to remove all unused languages, vehicles, voices, and jpg files. Save then to your computer in case you want to use them later.
If you open windows explorer, you can see where these files are. Make a folder on your computer with the same foler names and copy them before you delete them on the GPS. Should give you enough room to put all the new maps on the unit.
I did that on my old Nuvi 550 and it worked.
But eventually the updates still overwhelmed the stingy internal memory and I had to use an SD card. I figure I'm just going to get ahead of the curve this time. 🤨

It's funny that a device that touts the ability to store space taking photos and music, neither of which I've done, would not even have enough room for the basics after a few years. 🙄

But now that you reminded me to delete those unnecessary files on my Zumo, I might as well get around to doing it. Thanks.