For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Thrust Cadet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

595LM Satellite Acquistion

Post by Thrust Cadet »

Morning all.

I have a brand new Garmin Zumo 595LM. Was quite excited to get it (sort of an apology from a motorcycle dealership after woefully poor service on their part).
For three days it has not connected with a single solitary satellite. Just keeps telling me it's locating or acquiring. I have registered, activated and updated correctly and also ensured that the GPS simulator is switched off, still no signal. The bars on the left have always been grey.
I have left it outside for a couple of hours in full view of the sky and away from trees and the house, still nothing. It's also showing the map location as SW1 LDN (London Central). I cannot seem to change it to the small Hertfordshire village i reside in. To be honest i'm losing interest in it. I need it for a bike trip this coming Friday.

Is anyone able to assist me? It may be that i have missed something very simple.

Cheers

TD.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: 595LM Satellite Acquistion

Post by sussamb »

I've heard of similar issues where devices had been set to 'display only' mode when on display in a shop. If this was given to you I suspect that's the issue.

The simplest solution is probably a master reset, which I believe for your model is done as follows

1. Touch and hold the lower right hand corner of the touchscreen
2. Power the device on
3. "System" will appear on the screen for approximately 30 seconds
4. Remove your finger when the screen displays Loading..."
5. The device will now reset.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

As above

Although it's "demo mode" :D

No need for a hard reset go to the map click on the speed on the left bottom corner then on the next page just press and hold where the speed is and after a few seconds you get a settings screen where you can turn demo mode off

Hopefully that is your issue
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Thanks Stu, I remembered there was an easier way but I couldn't recall what it was :D
Thrust Cadet
Wales

Post by Thrust Cadet »

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I tried the suggestion re the speed/Demo Mode. The only option was to 'Enable Demo Mode' so i think it will have to be another Master Reset and an hour in the garden looking for satellites. Although the device was given to me by the bike shop, it was factory sealed.
You would have thought at this price point there may be a danger of the thing working.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well normally they do but like all electrical items you get the odd one that doesn't, you may be the unlucky one but if it is faulty then it'll be replaced under warranty.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

[mention]Thrust Cadet[/mention]

As [mention]sussamb[/mention] says you do once in a blue moon get one that doesn't work as expected! and it should be replaced under warranty

But first press and hold the satellite signal strength indicator in the top left

It should take you to another screen that shows if its picking anything up!

Also have you tried taking it for a drive/ride?
Thrust Cadet
Wales

Post by Thrust Cadet »

Thanks for the continuing assistance.

Tried the signal bar thingy, takes me to another screen which occasionally shows a satellite flicker on the outer circle. Leads me to believe it is trying. I'll take it out for a drive shortly.
Garmin have sent me a return process, so if the drive does not work.....off it goes.

Many thanks for taking the time out etc.

TD

Stu wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:28 pm @Thrust Cadet

As @sussamb says you do once in a blue moon get one that doesn't work as expected! and it should be replaced under warranty

But first press and hold the satellite signal strength indicator in the top left

It should take you to another screen that shows if its picking anything up!

Also have you tried taking it for a drive/ride?
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Thrust Cadet wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:06 am Thanks for the continuing assistance.

Tried the signal bar thingy, takes me to another screen which occasionally shows a satellite flicker on the outer circle. Leads me to believe it is trying. I'll take it out for a drive shortly.
Garmin have sent me a return process, so if the drive does not work.....off it goes.

Many thanks for taking the time out etc.

TD

If it's trying then I think it will get it with a drive

If you're in a built up area then the signals might be blocked

Keep us updated :)
Thrust Cadet
Wales

Post by Thrust Cadet »

Hi.
Finally received my 595LM back from Garmin. They sent a new one boxed with all the accessories!! I have spares!!
I registered, activated and updated as per instructions. When it started up after all that faff, it still showed as searching in Central London again (obviously the default setting).
But, thankfully after less than two minutes it showed my location in Herts and all was ok. Obviously a faulty device, efficiently dealt with by Garmin.
Slotted it on my Z1000SX and worked perfectly, so off for a cheeky ride tomorrow weather allowing.

Thank you for the advice and help. Much appreciated.
TD