Shape Route problems

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
sprint
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Shape Route problems

Post by sprint »

Had the XT a few days now and whilst there are many improvements over my 346 there remains a number of frustrations when planning routes directly on the unit.

Like many I'm sure, I find using Basecamp very frustrating and whilst after several hours I can just about get a route together by the time I need to do another one I have forgotten what I did and then have to spend hours again. So being able to do the route directly on the unit is always the preferred way for me.

However, with the 346 and earlier models this was a nightmare because of the unresponsive resistive screen. This is now been made much easier with the new capacitive screen.

However, I have now come across a problem when using the Shape Route function.

Having loaded the start and finish locations, using Trip Planner, if you use the Shape Route function the screen map resolution truncates at 0.2 mile, you simply can't reduce any further.

As a result many of the smaller back roads become so small it make it difficult to actually see and identify them, as at that resolution many of the smaller roads are not even named until you get to around 500 ft, but worse because they are so small even when you press on the screen to select the road/route the XT has been unable to recognize it as a road even though the 'circle' is directly above it.

Can't see why the map resolution is being truncated to 0.2 miles when the max resolution is 50 ft, when you select Shape Route?

Further investigation shows that whenever Shape Route is selected it truncates the map resolution to 0.2 miles. Clearly this must be a software/firmware bug?

Can anybody throw some light on this?
sprint
Great Britain

Re: Shape Route problems

Post by sprint »

Has knowbody used the Shaping function on the new XT and found any issues with the map resolution being limited to 0.2 mile and despite having the Shaping circle on top of roads it does not recognize them?

If not could somebody with a XT please try using the Shaping function to see what they find?

Thanks
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

I shall check but it may take some time!
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

JohnnyRidesAlone wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:21 pm I shall check but it may take some time!
Thanks.

I appreciate your help.
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

sprint wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:09 pm
JohnnyRidesAlone wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:21 pm I shall check but it may take some time!
Thanks.

I appreciate your help.
Have contacted Garmin Product Support about the issue.

It is an problem that they are aware of and I guess will be sorted with a Firmware update at some time. They could not advise how long they have been aware of it, but the units were released around Feb/Mar some 3 to 4 months ago.
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

Sorry I miss read you, I only ever do routes in basecamp on the PC.
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

sprint wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:10 am
Thanks.

I appreciate your help.

It is an problem that they are aware of and I guess will be sorted with a Firmware update at some time. They could not advise how long they have been aware of it, but the units were released around Feb/Mar some 3 to 4 months ago.
I don't believe this is XT specific. I have a DriveSmart and it too limits the zoom to 0.2 miles if you try to add points from the map screen. However if you open up the trip in Trip Planner and then try to add a point from the map you can zoom way in, so it looks like inconsistency across the Garmin range, never noticed it before as i always do it the latter way.
sprint
Great Britain

Post by sprint »

sussamb wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 am
sprint wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:10 am

Thanks.

I appreciate your help.

I don't believe this is XT specific. I have a DriveSmart and it too limits the zoom to 0.2 miles if you try to add points from the map screen. However if you open up the trip in Trip Planner and then try to add a point from the map you can zoom way in, so it looks like inconsistency across the Garmin range, never noticed it before as i always do it the latter way.
Thanks for the replies.

On the XT the problem remains whenever the Shape Route function is enabled be it from the initial route generated via the Trip Planer or via a saved map.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ah OK, that is different then :D