Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Re: Speed cam warning

Post by XIKO29 »

lehug wrote:
But clearly, for the past years in France, speed cam are drifting from a road safety tool to a money milking system.
Welcome to the portuguese system. [emoji35]

Is prevention, they say; for me it's like kid's play, hiding from one of them. [emoji2357]

We have many hidden speed cam's (most of them) and then we have the SINCRO for 3 or 4 years (i think). Basically there are around 50 big boxes with a small sign a few meters before and 30 "rotation" speed cam's. So you never know if that box has a speed cam inside or not; today can be empty and tomorrow have a speed cam.
If you are caught by SINCRO, it automatically sends the information to the authorities and in a few days you receive the notification with the photo containing date, hour and speed, of the infraction.

Honestly, i like speed (not toooo much but more than legal) but i'm not against speed cam's. What i think is ridiculous is the joke that they exist for prevention and then they are always hidden [emoji2357]

If it was really for prevention, they could day "On day X (or week Y) there will be speed cam's (without telling how many and the location) on A1 (for example for being the most important highway/motorway in Portugal that connects Porto to Lisbon)".
Then, only a stupid would be speeding knowing previously that there are speed cam's somewhere.
That's prevention!

Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

I recently installed the Pocket GPS World database https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras onto my XT as well as the Garmin Cyclops. The Garmin version does just flash into view for a second with a single tone, as that's the notification I've selected. The Pocket GPS World behaves like the other Garmin sat navs I've owned as it announces the speed limit, and leaves a speaker icon in the left of the upper banner. Not had chance to test it, but selecting this repeated the warning / displayed it. For me the Pocket GPS World set up is better in the UK, but Cyclops will be ok to use in France etc.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

I removed the Garmin ones and have been a PGPSW user for many years. I use it in France as well and it's very accurate. One advantage is that if you report a new camera then you're given a further year's subscription free, I've now earned enough free years to see me through the next 10 years or so ...
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

The Cyclops take your direction of travel and direction of the camera into account, how about PGPSW and or the poiloader?
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, unfortunately that is a limitation of the PGPSW database, it doesn't take direction into account.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

sussamb wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:13 am I removed the Garmin ones and have been a PGPSW user for many years. I use it in France as well and it's very accurate. One advantage is that if you report a new camera then you're given a further year's subscription free, I've now earned enough free years to see me through the next 10 years or so ...
I was lucky enough to be the first to report one that caught a few thousand drivers when they gave lifetime subscriptions :D

I do wonder how the Cyclops ones get their updates from?
xedysx1986
Poland

Post by xedysx1986 »

Hi. After installing POIs from www.poihandler.com, do I need to disable standard POIs from garmin? The icons are so small, can you change it somehow? One more question which is better, poihandler or Pocket GPS World. Thanks

Before downloading from poihandler, do you mark a single file?
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

You do not need to disable the built in POIs.

You can increase the size of the icons. The icons are .bmp files that in the same folder as the pois. Just increase the size of the icon using a program like MS Paint. Then reload the pois using POI Loader.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Oop North John wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:40 pm I recently installed the Pocket GPS World database https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras onto my XT as well as the Garmin Cyclops. The Garmin version does just flash into view for a second with a single tone, as that's the notification I've selected. The Pocket GPS World behaves like the other Garmin sat navs I've owned as it announces the speed limit, and leaves a speaker icon in the left of the upper banner. Not had chance to test it, but selecting this repeated the warning / displayed it. For me the Pocket GPS World set up is better in the UK, but Cyclops will be ok to use in France etc.
I will be interested to hear your experiences of using the PGPSW data on the XT. I have it installed on the XT & have removed the Cyclops data, it does not seem to work as well as it did on my Zumo 595, that could be down to me.
Keep us posted.
Northernlanes
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Northernlanes »

for me PGPSW speed camera databaae works fine on my XT, as it did on my 550 and 396 before it.
I also have free lifetime PGPSW updates having previously supplied the various yellow speed camera icons on their site., because of the XT's higher def screen these are a little small but I've doubled their size in a image editor (unfortunately these aren't on the PGPSW site)