Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: Audio warning issue

Post by sd129 »

simoncrewe wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:53 am
Grispoil wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:18 pm
Skipper wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:06 pm
And I can choose 20 over, 15 over, 10 over, 5 over, at the speed limit or OFF.
Also, choose differently for citytraffic or outside.
Where exactly are you getting these options?
I must have checked all menu items on my XT and I just cannot locate these...

Yvan
Go to settings - Driver assistance - Speeding Alert - Inside the City / Outside the City
I have those settings too, but I didn't think that's what we're talking about here. AIUI, they are for when you're exceeding whatever the current speed limit is, and I do seem to be able to turn them off. I believe Garmin refers to them as "Speeding alerts".

I thought the problem wasn't with that, but with the warnings that come up before you get to a change in speed limit, telling you the speed limit is about to change (which Garmin calls "Speed limit reduction" alerts). AFAIK you'd get them regardless of what speed you're doing at the time, though I don't know for sure whether anybody has tested that.

I notice that in the manual on some Garmin sites (e.g. the UK one) it lists "Speed limit reduction" as one of the alert types you should have on your driver assistance list, but other sites (e.g. the US one) don't include it, so maybe sussamb is right and it depends on what region you're in. However, I'm in the UK and despite it being listed on our web site I certainly don't have "Speed limit reduction" on my list so I have no way to disable it short of turning off the audio and losing everything, which is pretty annoying. I can only hope Garmin get enough complaints to make them do something about it. This sounds like a straight-up software bug to me, but one I'd have thought would be pretty simple to fix if they actually want to.
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

sd129 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 pm
I thought the problem wasn't with that, but with the warnings that come up before you get to a change in speed limit, telling you the speed limit is about to change (which Garmin calls "Speed limit reduction" alerts). AFAIK you'd get them regardless of what speed you're doing at the time, though I don't know for sure whether anybody has tested that.
This is correct. I have no option to turn this off in the Australian maps either.
Jefro
Has liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Jefro »

simoncrewe wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:53 am
Grispoil wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:18 pm
Skipper wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:06 pm
And I can choose 20 over, 15 over, 10 over, 5 over, at the speed limit or OFF.
Also, choose differently for citytraffic or outside.
Where exactly are you getting these options?
I must have checked all menu items on my XT and I just cannot locate these...

Yvan
Go to settings - Driver assistance - Speeding Alert - Inside the City / Outside the City
Here in California, we cannot choose City Traffic or Outside.
Nor can we choose 20/15/10 or 5 over.
Go to settings - Driver assistance - Speeding Alert - Check Mark or Uncheck Mark ONLY.
lehug
Been liked: 3 times
France

Post by lehug »

Hey guys.

Same problem in France.
Impossible to disable this speed reduction alert.

I do have this selection " 20 over, 15 over, 10 over, 5 over, at the speed limit or OFF." but this only disable the speeding alert, which is a different alert. even if I put it OFF, i still have speed reduction alert with the distance count down to the limit.... :|

I sent a message to the French Garmin support...but from personal experience, feedback are completely useless ...they will most likely ignore it and send me an outdated PDF on how to change the volume settings for a decade old GPS :lol:
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

When navigating a route, while listening to music (either MP3s loaded on the XT, or from an app on my iPhone), I do not get an audible beep.
When Navigating a route, with no music playing, I get a beep when the speed limit is going to decrease.

I am not sure what happens when no route is active and I am not listening to music. I'll have to remember to try that and see how it behaves.

I cannot find a way to disable it.
sd129
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by sd129 »

TripleThreat719 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:05 pm When navigating a route, while listening to music (either MP3s loaded on the XT, or from an app on my iPhone), I do not get an audible beep.
When Navigating a route, with no music playing, I get a beep when the speed limit is going to decrease.
I was navigating a route today with music playing from on-board MP3s, and I definitely was getting beeps for the speed limit decreases (I do also get them when navigating without music playing).

Sounds like there's a lot of variation in how it works according to what region you're in, which seems odd. Or maybe it just varies from one unit to another depending on what day of the week it was built!
:roll:
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not really odd, there are many examples of Garmin adapting their devices depending on which region they are destined for to ensure they meet local regulations and/or preferences.
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

Yaaaayyyy After 3 months of dealing with the issue, Garmin released a new software update that has the option to disable the warning. It's under Settings->Driver Assistance-> Reduced Speed Tone. Untick the box. Will test tomorrow. :D
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

Tried out my XT today after the update (with the speed warning de-selected) and the warning is gone

Hooray!!!

..Tom
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

Would have totally got rid of it if I could, but actually like it now so may keep it :D
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT