Speed cam warning

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
lehug
Been liked: 3 times
France

Speed cam warning

Post by lehug »

Hey guys,

I have a zumo XT fully updated. Driving in France.
When there is a speed cam on my way, i just have a 1 second red pop up + sound, saying "danger zone" .... and that's it, gone.

So for small trips, when i do not connect my intercom to it...there is absolutely no way i can see the pop up, it's a lot to fast

Do you have the same ?
How is it showing on yours ?
It could be a french regulation stuff...

Regards.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Re: Speed cam warning

Post by sussamb »

Where are you getting your data from? You can have warning of danger zones in France but it's illegal to be warned of speed cameras.
lehug
France

Post by lehug »

sussamb wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:58 pm Where are you getting your data from? You can have warning of danger zones in France but it's illegal to be warned of speed cameras.
I have the "cyclop" stuff subscription coming with the XT -> therefore it knows where the danger zone are. :(

In France it's "illegal" to have the exact location of a speed cams, but the speed cam still is in the danger zone (most of the time 2km long)... but still, i just have a warning when entering this zone, 1 sec pop up. To be usefull the pop up should be pinned for the whole duration of this danger zone.

In my opinion, buying a 500€ GPS and paying a subscription for a 1 sec pop up that is even less visible than the speed cam is a bit silly :lol:

how is it working for other countries ?
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That does seem strange. Can't help there as I don't have your model, but just be aware not all danger zones include cameras although clearly most will.
communicator
Been liked: 6 times
France

Post by communicator »

a subscription to www.poihandler.com of 12€ per year + downloading of the radar poi in csv or gpx format + downloading of poiloader = all radar sites in the Zumo XT

I'm saying this, but I'm not saying anything ;) ;) ;)
On s'en fout de connaitre la vérité, l'essentiel c'est d'avoir raison (Me Eric Dupond-Moretti)
It doesn't matter what the truth is, the important thing is to be right (French Lawyer Eric Dupond-Moretti

Fun is not a straight line !!!!
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

If you're below the speed limit then that sounds like normal behaviour if you've got single tone selected. Not used the continuous tone for many years, but suspect it might give more warnings.
lehug
France

Post by lehug »

Oop North John wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 pm If you're below the speed limit then that sounds like normal behaviour if you've got single tone selected. Not used the continuous tone for many years, but suspect it might give more warnings.
continuous tone does give the sound but no other pop ups, and for small rides i do not use my helmet intercom and won't hear anything :D
lehug
France

Post by lehug »

communicator wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:34 pm a subscription to www.poihandler.com of 12€ per year + downloading of the radar poi in csv or gpx format + downloading of poiloader = all radar sites in the Zumo XT

I'm saying this, but I'm not saying anything ;) ;) ;)
I will have a look to that.

Actually, what i did is donwloading the LUFOP database and send it to the device via POIloader. This one is free =)
Still, i will have a look to Poihandler. ;)

edit : https://lufop.net/
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times
Australia

Post by mastercore »

Fool proof way to avoid speed traps:

Use cruise control or better foot control to stay within the speed limits.

As a bonus, if you do not connect this device to your phone, i.e. to the internet, you are not giving away real time data on your location, destination and other juicy tit bits that Garmin wants to sell behind your back to make money off you.

At least they should be transparent about what they do with our data, and if they sell it, they should pay us back some of the cost of the unit!
lehug
France

Post by lehug »

mastercore wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:53 pm Fool proof way to avoid speed traps:

Use cruise control or better foot control to stay within the speed limits.
But clearly, for the past years in France, speed cam are drifting from a road safety tool to a money milking system.

They use to be in dangerous areas, where there is a lot of accidents, but now they are poping everywhere on high trafic road and and are tricky.
- Speed cams box are a lot smaller than before -> you don't see them
- Speed cams were paint with high visibility tape, not any more -> you don't see them
- Speed cams were most of the time announced several km ahead so you were careful in this dangerous area -> you don't see them
- speed cams 10m after the speed reduction, you don't brake hard, you pay =) -> more money
- Road work speed cams to protect road workers are now used everywhere in high payback places -> not legitimate use of "road work speed cams"
- Unbranded cars with speed cams were used by the police, they are now private with monthly goal -> make more money
- Speed limits used to be simple 30 school/city center, 50 city, 70 dangerous places, 90 roads, 110/130 motorway -> it's a now a mess and there is so much exceptions so you never know the speed limit based on the road "type"

Uncool story :
Close to my place, there is a perfectly fine 70kph road bend, but someday 4 drunk guys in a car arrived in a shitty car at 150kph, no wonders they all died... now the road is 50kph plus a speed cam -> still i don't know how will a drunk driver at 150kph will see an hidden speed cam ...

I would be supper happy to have 10 times more speed cams -> just don't put them in tricky places where any normal driving person will be tricked.