Routing?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
w2ge
Has liked: 22 times
United States of America

Routing?

Post by w2ge »

Kk, I create a route in BaseCamp. I always start and end with waypoints and mostly use viapoints to shape my routes, I only use waypoints for places I want to stop, I.e restaurants, sight seeing stops, rest stops, etc . But fir example, let’s use a simple route, say 50 miles to a location. Only waypoints are start and end point. If I place the start waypoint at say my exact home, and when you start the route..the 396 asks where do I want to go.. (Shows the start and end waypoint) if I choose the end waypoint the 396 recalculates the route using its own algorithms and completely disregards my intended custom route. If I choose my start waypoint it routes in a circle right to where I’m at..?

My workaround has been to place my starting waypoint AWAY from where I’m actually starting from, (Or add another waypoint say 1000 feet away from where I’m actually starting from but along the route) choose that start waypoint, then the 396 will calculate to that waypoint and then start (Follow) my custom route.

Is this just the way “trip planner“ works, or is it a 396 quirk, etc? With my older Zumos etc routes would be fine starting ANYWHERE on the custom route.. gps would just “pick it up” from wherever along the route you were.

2.) I have literally hundreds of routes that don’t have a close secondary waypoint to get me on track (many from years ago, Mapsource, etc. or BaseCamp before I started to use the 396) Is there a way right in the gps to add a waypoint on the route so it’ll follow if I forgot to modify it in BaseCamp after downloading it?

Or... is it something altogether I need to know? Some setting?

TIA
Last edited by w2ge on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil - Current VP New Sweden BMW Riders, Past President
Voorhees, NJ
Zumo 396 -> SENA 20s EVO
BMW R1200RT
APRILIA Caponord Rally
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Routing?

Post by sussamb »

It's the way trip planner works, so it's not your 396 ;)

You can easily add additional points in trip planner should you forget to do it via BaseCamp or MapSource. Just open up the trip planner app, select the route and amend it.
w2ge
United States of America

Post by w2ge »

Thanks Suss,

Forgive my ignorance... not quite sure in gps how to do that.

I do know that when I choose a “trip” first thing I see is the list of starting waypoint then all the viapoints, etc. If I tap the first viapoint after my start waypoint it does change it to a waypoint and then I can choose that when I hit GO as my “next destination” and that would work... is that what you mean?

I’ve tried to shape a route in my gps and haven’t a clue. I get “tap a valid location”. Then “touch map” but nothing works. Screen too small🤦🏻‍♂️😜
Voorhees, NJ
Zumo 396 -> SENA 20s EVO
BMW R1200RT
APRILIA Caponord Rally
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

In Trip planner if you tap a location you'll see options to move it up or down or delete it or by tapping the plus sign you can add additional locations.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

w2ge wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:20 pm Kk, I create a route in BaseCamp. I always start and end with waypoints and mostly use viapoints to shape my routes, I only use waypoints for places I want to stop, I.e restaurants, sight seeing stops, rest stops, etc . But fir example, let’s use a simple route, say 50 miles to a location. Only waypoints are start and end point. If I place the start waypoint at say my exact home, and when you start the route..the 396 asks where do I want to go.. (Shows the start and end waypoint) if I choose the end waypoint the 396 recalculates the route using its own algorithms and completely disregards my intended custom route. If I choose my start waypoint it routes in a circle right to where I’m at..?

My workaround has been to place my starting waypoint AWAY from where I’m actually starting from, (Or add another waypoint say 1000 feet away from where I’m actually starting from but along the route) choose that start waypoint, then the 396 will calculate to that waypoint and then start (Follow) my custom route.

Is this just the way “trip planner“ works, or is it a 396 quirk, etc? With my older Zumos etc routes would be fine starting ANYWHERE on the custom route.. gps would just “pick it up” from wherever along the route you were.

Or... is it something altogether I need to know? Some setting?
Phil, You're not wrong. The GPS itself has changed the way that it handles planned trips. When I was using my StreetPilot 2610, I started the routes from HOME and you just rolled onto the route line if you weren't at HOME and the GPS just picked up the route wherever you joined. My 450/550 asks if I want it to provide directions to the beginning of the route. I just click on NO and ride over to the route and once I'm on the route the directions just start working. Now, the new Zumos (395, 590, 595 more?) ask you where you want to start the route and give you a list of WayPoints to pick from. If you're starting out at the beginning you should pick the first WayPoint of the route. My 590 creates a "mini-route" giving me directions to the first WayPoint, then the route begins with my planned trip just as I created it in BaseCamp.

I haven't tried a route that begins at HOME on my 590, so I'm just guessing. My guess is after the GPS creates a route to your house, it should pick up the rest of the trip after that. But, the best option is to change the beginning of the route to a spot nearby but on the first main road of your trip.

What I've done, is create two different WayPoints in BaseCamp. When I leave my neighborhood to ride I can either head north or south depending on where I'm headed. So, my two WayPoints are on the main road, one to the south of the neighborhood and the other to the north. So any route I build in BC has one of them as the start point. Then when the 590 asks which WayPoint to start from, I select the first WP and I get directions from HOME to the main road. Once I cross that first WayPoint the planned trip starts.

If you have hundreds of saved routes, I don't know what to tell you about using them with newer devices. Do you have them all loaded on your GPS or do you just send them to the GPS when you're going to use them?
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
w2ge
United States of America

Post by w2ge »

Arrgghhh. Sucks when it’s already on the bike and I’m ready to go, or on Sunday my “Home” route started at exactly where I was at (Restaurant) and of course it wouldn’t work right...

I just wanted to hear from others that yes, this is just the way trip planner works. 🙄

I’ve got another trip planner question but I think I’ll post as a NEW TOPIC...
Voorhees, NJ
Zumo 396 -> SENA 20s EVO
BMW R1200RT
APRILIA Caponord Rally
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

If it were me I'd add two waypoints to my favourites, one a few hundred metres away if I turn left and one if I turn right. I'd then add them into any route that started from home and select those points as my start.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

The guys describe it exactly. Coming from an old nuvi 780 to the 595 I was immediately frustrated by the start position. Without knowing the ins & outs I rationalized it by defining the GPS accuracy making me miss the exact point the device wanted me to roll over. And I mean exact point- miss it by 5 ft and the route is frustrating from [literally] the very start. It's why, now, I never use where I am starting as where I am starting.

Picture this: lodging with 6 acre parking lot. Picking the Waypoint for the Motel puts the start point in acre grid #2, where the lobby is. But the room & parking space are in acre grid # 5. Unless you ride to the lobby, you've never actually rolled over the start point. Well, [in my mind] given the increased accuracy of gps in general the same thing is happening in my driveway. I too have hundreds of routes, I feel your pain. Slowly but surely I have been using Base Camp and the MOVE tool to relocate my start points down the road a few hundred yards. Thus far it's worked fine.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A