Audio warning issue

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Re: Audio warning issue

Post by Hati »

Well I am sorry to say that (without me changing any setting or updating the device) the annoying audio warning is back with a vengeance, interrupting my intercom connection and being a general nonsense. No idea why it behaved itself the previous outing. Just have to keep remembering to mute the bloody thing every time I start up the bike...
Jefro
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Jefro »

But if you mute the XT during your ride, you would not get the audio directions for a planned route.
They made every audio alert optional except the Speed Reduction Alert.
Must be some kind of liability issue from their lawyers.
Hati
Australia

Post by Hati »

Jefro wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:47 pmMust be some kind of liability issue from their lawyers.
I disagree. I have 3 other Garmin GPS devices not counting the 595 I sold and none had this issue. The 595 also had this speed warning but it didn't have the audio part "stuck on". I think it's a software engineering oversight, more than anything else.

The problem with muting (that I have to use currently) is that it resets every session, it's not permanent.
US00678
Italy

Post by US00678 »

Hi there, I finally had today the chance to ride & test my new XT checking also the very annoying warning issue about upcoming speed limit change.
First the speed limit is, very often, a pure invention from Garmin as there is no road sign reporting such limit, simply they decided that all roundabouts have to be a 30km/h limit.
The orange banner appears all the times, and there is no way to prevent it or to limit it to a just one adivce, the countdown from 250m to zero is really useless.
The sound is, apparently, random, I was listenig music from the XT and I've heard it only few times, typically when the warning was sent between 2 songs.
Also with the music off the "ding" is not always played or arrives late compared to the banner on the screen.
Really useless, I hope they'll add a control to switch the sound and banner off.
Exurban
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

Roundabout design speeds vary a little but 30 kph is actually about right. It’s not Garmin making it up, it’s highway design standards so, there doesn’t have to be an actual sign for them to apply the warning.

It seems many agree that it should be optional to have the banner warnings, ideally the user would get to choose which ones they want operative.

As for audio, I thought you can turn those off. One place in the manual it says you can turn off audio and banner, then in another it says you can turn off audio alerts but not banners. It sounds like they were aware of the distinction at some point but changed their minds. I read somewhere that whether you hear the tones or not is dependent upon whether your phone or GPS is controlling the headphones. But I don’t use headphones when riding so I wouldn’t know.
Hati
Australia

Post by Hati »

Exurban wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:51 pm Roundabout design speeds vary a little but 30 kph is actually about right. It’s not Garmin making it up, it’s highway design standards so, there doesn’t have to be an actual sign for them to apply the warning.
This may well be the case, but I can tell you that in Australia, the XT does not warn for anything other than actual speed limit change. It is also very accurate, I have yet to see a "phantom" limit change that does not exist on the road.
As for audio, I thought you can turn those off.
You can, but only by muting the XT (3 dot menu, map screen). The problem with this is that it un-mutes itself every time the GPS is powered up, so the user has to be very diligent to remember to mute the device again after a fuel/rest stop. Very annoying, especially when it cuts off communication. The side effect of this is that if you use audio guidance, that will be muted too, not to mention music played from the GPS' SD slot
Iris
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by Iris »

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but you can’t go into the main volume settings and just simply put the proximity alert at 0%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hati
Australia

Post by Hati »

Iris wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:11 pm Maybe I missed it somewhere...
Yup, you have, page one of this thread. I have a full list of all audio settings.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Iris wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:11 pm Maybe I missed it somewhere, but you can’t go into the main volume settings and just simply put the proximity alert at 0%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It has been confirmed by Garmin that this is how the XT is (at the moment) and that the speed limit warnings cannot be turned off by the user.It is on this forum & a number of motorcycle forums discussing this issue.
Skipper
Been liked: 4 times
Sweden

Post by Skipper »

I can turn all warnings off, including the speedwarning.
Got my XT last Thursday

And I can choose 20 over, 15 over, 10 over, 5 over, at the speed limit or OFF.
Also, choose differently for citytraffic or outside.
2010 Vulcan 1700 CT (Nomad)
RV Kabe Travelmaster 880 LT Royal