Zumo 590 + 595 & Basecamp - What the Manuals Do not Tell.

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 590 - What the Manuals Do not Tell.

Post by sussamb »

Nope, I said there was a road but it doesn't exist on the ground, or is that what you meant to say?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Quite right. Yes thats what I meant.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

jfheath wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:36 pm
Is Linville local to you ? It will make more sense if I can create a local example for you to go out and try.
Linville is about 150 miles to the west of me. I'm in a town called Asheboro, North Carolina. Would it help if I provided you with routes? I have many that I have never had a problem with, perhaps you can tell me the differences that make them "right" to follow.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

One thing that would be useful to know is how you create these routes. Do you generally import routes from other sources or create your own? Either way do you install or create them directly on your device or use BaseCamp and then send the routes to your Zumo? Have you any feel for which methodology tends to give you more problems?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:52 am
Linville is about 150 miles to the west of me. I'm in a town called Asheboro, North Carolina. Would it help if I provided you with routes? I have many that I have never had a problem with, perhaps you can tell me the differences that make them "right" to follow.
If they work OK, then there is no problem - but yes, send me some and I'll certainly take a look and offer suggestions. I'll pm you an email address if that is easier to use than adding attachments on here.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 am One thing that would be useful to know is how you create these routes. Do you generally import routes from other sources or create your own? Either way do you install or create them directly on your device or use BaseCamp and then send the routes to your Zumo? Have you any feel for which methodology tends to give you more problems?
I create my own routes, very rarely do I ever import others. I create them using Base Camp and then drag & drop to my SD card and import for use.

I've never really created a route so much. It's pretty annoying to me. But I hve picked a final point with one or two via/shaping points on the zumo and that seems to work well as long as I remember to do it in that order, starting farthest away and then moving closer. I usually have only one or two points, maybe 3, but the zumo handles this fine.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Madtiger
Great Britain

Post by Madtiger »

Thankyou for this information, I'll send you a PM for the document...

I have the new XT and am struggling to get to grips (with off road riding) after having a Montana before.

Questions...

1. Can I upload and use maps from third parties (i.e. Talkytoaster) as I have done with the Montana before? - I know Garmin say the topo maps in the XT now include off road tracks, but do they really include all the byways etc. that are included with opensource maps such as the ones from Talkytoaster (BTW: highly recommend his maps)?

2. Do I still need to use tracks for off road riding, or can I now start to use routes(trips) in the XT with shaping points and be sure I will be directed along the exact route I had planned?

3. You say I should use the same map in basecamp as on the device when route planning (fully understand why!), it takes ages to load the map from the XT when I connect to my Mac, in order to use the same map. Is there a way to speed that up, or keep the map loaded in basecamp somehow. I seem to remember that you could copy the map image from the Garmin device to a usb stick (in a folder called Garmin) and leave that in your PC/Mac to speed up basecamp loading the map for planning use, is that still the case?

Any help greatly appreciated

Steve
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I noticed your PM, so I'll add more detail as best I can to my reply, along with the file.

Quick Answers

1. Yes. I dont know of TalkyToaster, but I use OSM maps - Sometimes. They are very detailed, but do not have road speed limits, so route times and ETAs are way off.

2. I dont know. I had a first play yesterday with the Europe maos, found a track that asecamp plotted a route along if i set the vehicle to off road. The route was transferred correctly to Zumo, but recalculated if I changed the preferences to car in the Zumo. I couldn't get the topo maps to show up in Basecamp. Express did not have an option to install them. I may have missed something.

3. I dont know. See answer above. I am not an off-roader, but still keen to find out. My next step is to try routing along tracks with OSM. So far I have been less than pleased with XT due to a couple of issues, both reported, one acknowledged and one mysteriously resolved (apparently). I am less than convinced with the benefits of the Garmin Explore website, but their maps are superb with increased detail on Zoom in showing contours, and ending up with satellite imagery. Still more research to do on that.

Nb if you have 3rd party maps active (ie ticked in MyMaps on XT), then disable the others that you are not using. The Zumos do weird things if it has two routable maps running for the same area.

sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just to add there is nothing special about TalkyToaster maps, his are based on the OSM database like all OSM maps. Difference is he charges for some of his whereas most OSM mapping is free :)
mike_walker
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by mike_walker »

Hi there - I'll PM you to request your manual. I've spent literally days fighting with Basecamp and my newly-aquired 590 and so am hoping your information can help!