Surpriiiiise.... Says Garmin about the mount bracket.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Hati
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Re: Surpriiiiise.... Says Garmin about the mount bracket.

Post by Hati »

Took the RT out today for the first time in over 5 weeks (shocks were off for refurbishment), so I had a look at the mount bracket. It does have a rotational slop, probably a couple of degrees in total. The XT does not move on the mount while the bike is running, it can be clearly felt though by hand.

I guess after the porky 595 that was moving quite a bit, the XT looked rock solid for me.

On an aside: what an amazing screen this device has!!! I have it in a pretty much 90 degree angle to the horizontal. I have no reflections at all this way, even the thin line of a GPX track is clearly visible, direct sun or otherwise. I was struggling with that on the 595 at least half of the time and have missed turns because the line could not be distinguished at a glance. No more of that!
Ray N.
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by Ray N. »

I have to agree with Hati about the screen. It's by far the best screen I've ever had on a motorcycle mounted GPS
2021 Goldwing DCT Tour - Zumo XT
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

A stick-on anchor - of course!

I have probably got a few tucked away in a drawer here somewhere. I think I'll be adding that to mine as well - can't hurt (can it?). Thank you.
axamax
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

Jefro wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:42 pm I have the "sloppy fit" with my Zumo XT bracket.
If you grab the face of the unit and try to rotate it left or right, the fit is a bit loose, and the unit will move a slight amount left/right.
I called Zumo Tech Support and they said it was a known issue, and they would be sending me a new mounting bracket when they become available, which might be awhile.
In the meantime, I put some blue painters tape on the left and right side of the bracket to tighten up the fit.
Jefro.
Mine is the same. It will rotate a couple of degrees. I've just put some insulating tape on the sides it seems to illiminate it. I keet losing power (ie switches to the battery power), especially on the bumpier bits of our dreadful roads. I'll see if the tape stops the problem.
Jefro
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Jefro »

axamax wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:44 pm..... I've just put some insulating tape on the sides.....I keep losing power (ie switches to the battery power), especially on the bumpier bits of our dreadful roads. I'll see if the tape stops the problem.
The blue painters tape is fairly thin, and I put just a small piece on the left and right sides.
I have not had the power interruption yet.
axamax
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

I've changed the insulating tape on the unit for masking tape on the mount.
I was still getting occassional power interuption with the insulation tape. So far the masking tape is working.
Just waiting to hear back from Garmin. Does anyone know how many units were affected? The serial number of mine seems to suggest it may be one of the very first UK/European ones.
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times
Australia

Post by mastercore »

Great idea.

My mount is pretty solid but I am going off road and the knocks can get quite extreme.

I think this is a super simple solution for peace of mind when bashing around outdoors.

Thanks for the tip.