Duplicating internal drive on zumo 396

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
lather
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Re: Duplicating internal drive on zumo 396

Post by lather »

sussamb wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:17 am Also need to set to show system files, the folder you're not seeing contains the large map files etc, it's named .system
I have set my folder options to show system files but do not see the .system folder or any img files.
I can see these on my Zumo 390.
lather
United States of America

Post by lather »

mpenner wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:28 pm JaVaWa device manager is very handy for exactly what you are try to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have JaVaWa device manager. It sees my Zumo 390 and Etrex but it cannot see the Zumo 395.
Also, the 395 is invisvble to Mapsource.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

To see the .system folder Win needs to be set to show hidden and system files (2 separate settings). Some devices must also be set to mass storage mode, and also MapSource requires devices to be in mass storage mode, it won't see devices in mtp mode, neither will JaVaWa.

Full details here:

The .system folder is a hidden folder using the default Folder View Options in Windows. In order to see the .system folder on your device you need to make Folder View Option changes in Windows as follows:

Windows 8 and 10:

1) Open the Control Panel. (Right click on the Windows square in the bottom left of your computer screen. Select Control Panel and click on it.)
2) Inside Control Panel, click on "Appearance and Personalization", then "Folder Options" or “File Explorer Options". This will open the File Explorer Options window.
3) Inside the File Explorer Options window, click on the "view" tab.

Select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"
Remove check mark for “Hide Empty Drives”
Remove check mark for “Hide protected operating system files” (Recommended)”

Windows 7:
1) Open Windows Explorer and select Organise, Folder and Search Options
2) Click the View tab.
3) Uncheck ‘Hide protected operating system files.
4) Check ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’

In addition, you may also need to change your device to Mass Storage mode in order for the .system folder to be visible in Windows. You can make this change on your device by following these procedures:

1. Start device by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
(may see Configuration and Settings, if so select it)
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down the device and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

As an alternative to step 1 and 2 above, you can bring up the "trip information" screen by tapping the speed icon, then press and hold the speedometer for about 10 seconds to access the developer screen. Now go from step 3.
lather
United States of America

Post by lather »

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply! The problem was the MTP setting.
CRracer
Has liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

lather wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:36 pm Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply! The problem was the MTP setting.
Lol, did you get it changed to mass storage?

Speaking of which. On my 396, after setting it to mass storage, when I plug it in to PC I get a notice of switching to mass storage, I've got 20 seconds to hit cancel.

On my friends 395, there is no message, it just switches. Is there a way to get the option to not go to mass storage when plugged in to PC if a person doesn't want to?

Seems like my 550 goes in to convert mode which I can cancel and it's just in it's regular use mode, and my nuvi 295w asks if I want to switch.
lather
United States of America

Post by lather »

CRracer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 pm
lather wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:36 pm Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply! The problem was the MTP setting.
Lol, did you get it changed to mass storage?

Speaking of which. On my 396, after setting it to mass storage, when I plug it in to PC I get a notice of switching to mass storage, I've got 20 seconds to hit cancel.

On my friends 395, there is no message, it just switches. Is there a way to get the option to not go to mass storage when plugged in to PC if a person doesn't want to?

Seems like my 550 goes in to convert mode which I can cancel and it's just in it's regular use mode, and my nuvi 295w asks if I want to switch.
Yes I put it in permanent mass storage. The options are auto detect and mass storage single session. my 395 does not seem to work in auto detect.
What is the advantage of MTP?
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

mtp is safer, which is probably why Garmin switched to it as they got fed up having to deal with folks who had bricked their devices :lol: