Internal Memory access (Mine's nearly FULL)

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Aggie95
United States of America

Internal Memory access (Mine's nearly FULL)

Post by Aggie95 »

1: Is it possible to see/access the file/folder structure in the Internal Memory on the 595?

It was possible to see the directory on the Montana 680t I had before the z595, but I haven't been able to see the same on the z595.

A reason I ask about this is the Internal Memory on my z595 is nearly full of something. I know the Maps are only about 3.4Gb and the OS should not be any where near that size, so I question what is consuming 7Gb of the 8Gb of Internal Memory. I had a fiasco on my Montana when I last tried to update the maps. Instead of updating or over-writing the maps, the installer/updater installed a second copy of the same maps and consumed another 3.4Gb of the 8Gb Internal Memory. Garmin (NON)Support first told me that there was nothing I could do to remove the extra maps, but after I insisted for almost an hour that this was unacceptable and demanded they provide me with a new Montana to replace mine, or tell me how to free up the memory, they finally determined that I could delete the extra maps. But, on the Montana, I could see most, if not all, of the files and folders in the Internal Memory; I cannot see/access the same on the 595??? I suspect the same thing has happened on my z595 (I bought my z595 from another user that moved a zumo XT), the Map Updater has installed a second map instead of Updating the Maps. The Updater suggests that you install the new maps to the SD card but does not tell you that you will never be able to remove the old or new maps from the internal memory! What happens when you get to map update #3, or #4, or #7? Do they expect us to throw away the unit when the memory gets full!

OK, so my question is, "Can the Internal memory be accessed and/or managed?"
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Internal Memory access (Mine's nearly FULL)

Post by sussamb »

What you're missing is the hidden .system directory, depending on which OS you have depends on how you can see it.

It's that directory that contains many of the essential operating files, it's hidden for a reason.

If you use Express though to update your maps it will remove the old map so I wouldn't worry.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Great info in this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=95
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
mbirth

Post by mbirth »

sussamb wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 pm What you're missing is the hidden .system directory, depending on which OS you have depends on how you can see it.
Or you can go to the volume settings and keep holding the top right corner until the diagnostics page appears.

(If that doesn't work, go to "View Map", tap the "Speed" indicator (bottom left) and hold your finger on the "0" inside the circle in the top middle.)

There, go to "Configuration and Settings" --> "MTP Settings" and set it to "Mass Storage".

To show the ".System" folder, also go to "RWFS Settings" and enable showing it in Mass Storage Mode.

Make sure to return the settings to their original values after you're done. ;)
Td5
Finland

Post by Td5 »

I'm trying to install the Europe 2022.20 map and my 595 say memory full.
Re-formatted the 32GB memory card and tried again, no luck.

Changed the MTP and RWFS settings as described here, still can't find the old
maps so I could delete them.

How can the new map be installed on a 595 with full internal memory?

TIA,
JV
biz
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by biz »

My HD Roadtech 590 (595fw) only has 4GB internal, which is MILES too small for the current maps, but they install OK, automatically splitting between the internal memory and the SD card.
Td5
Finland

Post by Td5 »

To mine and also Garmin tech. support surprise this didn’t work.
But they suggested that I have a 32GB SD card with enough space and install the map first to PC.
From there with Garmin map install, a free G program, to Zumo 595. This worked fine.
I have no knowledge where the map is, but it show up in Zumo.
biz
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by biz »

Really surprising - just updated mine as usual, with the latest maps, and had no problem at all.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Td5 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:13 pm To mine and also Garmin tech. support surprise this didn’t work.
But they suggested that I have a 32GB SD card with enough space and install the map first to PC.
From there with Garmin map install, a free G program, to Zumo 595. This worked fine.
I have no knowledge where the map is, but it show up in Zumo.
It may but MapInstall only installs the map, not all the other updates that come with a map update that ideally your 595 needs. You really need to get Express to work, so ensure Express is up to date and try it again.
lkraus
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 98 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I encountered the full storage problem a year or so ago. Using Mass Storage mode, I found several large files in \.System\SID. Looking at them with a good text editor, I saw references to old maps going back a few years. I was able to delete everything in that folder (~4Gb) and then had room to install the entire new map in internal memory using Express. The necessary files in the SID folder were re-created in the process, but I still had a few hundred Mb of free memory with the new map.

My Zumo had been switched between 590 and 595 firmware several times, so that may have been a reason the old files were not deleted by Express.

The maps keep growing as more information is always being added. I've since had to drop the Central America area to keep the map in internal memory, but I don't plan to ride in that area anyway.