Installing map to PC

CRracer
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Installing map to PC

Post by CRracer »

I've seen, and have bookmarked the Garmin support page that cover GE failing to copy files.

My question is, I did a 'choose map to install' in GE. It asks me to select a portion due to not enough internal memory, so I do, and I select the box to install on PC and the process begins.

I didn't pay attention, but did it initially 'download' then switch to 'copying'? I ask because it initially was showing ~2MB/s, then after about ~25% it drops to ~345kbps and it's at this point I notice it says 'copying files'.

It got to a little over 50% before it failed. After a restart and ugging in zumo again. Going through the same process, it pretty much starts at the ~25% mark, showing 'copying files' @~345kbps.

So I'm thinking the initial speed was a download over internet, and it's failing locally during the copy process. I'm assuming the copy process is from the zumo to the PC, is this correct?

Looks like options to try are new USB cable, another USB port, or a new SD card(why this? It's not installing anything there, and there's already the full map pack on there)

On 3 separate PC's, I've tried multiple USB ports and used two different USB cables. I'm pretty sure I'm NOT using the cable that came with my Zumo originally.
CRracer
United States of America

Re: Installing map to PC

Post by CRracer »

I have been trying to install my map from my nuvi 295w to my laptop. GE fails without even starting with this GPS.

A little searching turned up a link to Garmin map updater. Found a link to it, actually from Garmin's website, got it installed.

It gives option to install map to GPS, GPS and PC, or PC only. I chose PC only(you have to have GPS connected in order to advance in this program). Instead of copying files from GPS to PC, it downloads to PC. It worked like a charm. The default directory was the same program data/Garmin/maps.

Once installed, I disconnected GPS, launched mapsource and mapsource was using the map I just downloaded and installed. Closed mapsource and ran Basecamp, it too was using the map I just installed.

I'd left my 550 at work and it was about ~45% through installing map from 550 to PC, using GE, but I suspect it'll show failed when I arrive in the morning.

I did find my original USB cable that came with my 550, I remember way back, I needed to use that cable with the 550 as my only other cable back then wouldn't work correctly with the 550. I'll try it, if it fails with 550/GE combo, I'll install map updater at work too.

I did use the Garmin cable with the nuvi 295w/GE combo when it failed. Along with numerous other cables. However, the 295w/GE combo had no problem reinstalling map on GPS, doing a complete download again. Just don't understand what it's hang up is with installing to PC.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

The downside to MapUpdater is it only handles the map, for your older devices that's fine. Modern devices need numerous other files that MapUpdater cannot handle.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

CRracer wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:03 pm So I'm thinking the initial speed was a download over internet, and it's failing locally during the copy process. I'm assuming the copy process is from the zumo to the PC, is this correct?
No, the initial download installs the numerous files needed to create the map etc to your PC, the copy stage is the compilation of those files into the .img map that is installed to your device.

If yours is failing at this stage see https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=i ... qGPhyMFie5

I note also you're trying to do it at work, often this fails due to restrictions placed on work computers.

As you have a 550 this may also be of help https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=b ... KUAt8x67J7
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

I've tried 3 PC's, one at home, two at work. I've tried 3 USB cables(now, including original Garmin cable). I've tried all USB ports between the 3 machines.

I've used 2 different SD cards, both of which my 550 reads maps off of.

GE won't install to PC, the maps for either my Zumo(it'll do the initial download, but fails at some point during file copy), or my nuvi 295w(it won't even start the download with this one, just fails immediately).

Garmin map updater had zero problem in stalling the maps for the zumo and nuvi to my PCs (all of them).

GE wouldn't even install maps to PC, using an SD card that was cloned from the Zumo, which Basecamp had no issue with using an GE opens when that SD card was inserted in laptop.

BTW, my 'work' computers are just like my home computers. Most came from home, I just tend to do downloads at work(DSL) vs home(wireless, I live in the country). It's my business, I'm the IT guy😁
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

No idea then, sorry :(
stkm04
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by stkm04 »

I have another question about this topic:

My old computer died on me and I had to set up a new one. Before that happened my ZUMO was already updated to the latest version.

Now, when I connect the ZUMO with GarminExpress, GE states that the device is up-to-date. How can I force GE to allow me to install the maps on the PC. Since GE thinks everything is ok (maps are updated) it does not offer an "Install" option.

Thanks.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You should see a Map options button, then you can elect to install map to your PC.
stkm04
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by stkm04 »

Thanks!

Initially I did not see the MAPS option. Then I checked the PE version and realized that I was running an old version. I upgraded to 7.1 and now I am back in business.

Thanks again!
ondras76
Czech Republic

Post by ondras76 »

sussamb wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:24 pm You should see a Map options button, then you can elect to install map to your PC.
I don't see the option "Instal to Computer" any advice for me. I just see "reinstall map" option.
Thanks.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=606
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 16.35.31.png
Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 16.35.31.png (281.36 KiB) Viewed 3110 times