Mapsource and a map update

CRracer
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Mapsource and a map update

Post by CRracer »

Was reading on here about Basecamp possibly causing routing issues with my Zumo 550.

Found my original City navigator nt North America v8 and installed on my win10 laptop. Install went fine, found my 25 digit code to unlock it in the xml file from my Zumo backup on my laptop. Once installed, mapsource opens and seems gtg.

After closing it, windows is determined to not allow me to open again. After more research, I found the most recent update for mapsource, 6.13.2, and installed it. Windows seems happy now.

I've got this 'map update 2008' dvd. I don't know if there's actually a purpose to install this, but I tried. It wants me to enter my code to unlock prior to install, which I do, but installation fails to connect with the Garmin server(I'll assume it's pointing to an outdated location).

I see people mention having multiple maps installed, is there a point to this?

My zumo doesn't have lifetime updates, though I've updated it enough I probably should have opted for that the first time updating. The most recent map I'd updated too was North America NT 2015.1. this particular map was too big to do a complete install, and whatever I used at that time, didn't allow the rest of the map to be loaded to the SD card. I was only able to load the lower 49 states SW in internal memory. This was all rather off-putting at the time as there was no portion I could install that covered everywhere I traveled.

I've been away from my Zumo pretty much ever since.

Decided to get it back. Got on Garmin's website, bought the lower 49 states map, not an update. Used GE, with my 550 connected and myself logged in and to my surprise, GE wanted to install the map on my SD card. So I did. After installing, my Zumo map info now showed the lower 49 sw 2015.1 and my new lower 49 2021.1.

I removed the .img, .sum, and .unl from the internal memory and am now left with the lower 49 2021.1 under map info on zumo.

In mapsource, with zumo connected, mapsource still only shows my original 2008 nt map from my original DVD install.

It's my understanding that mapsource will see maps installed to my laptop for Basecamp. I haven't installed them to laptop yet. GE has option to install to PC. Choosing this option, which map is going to be installed to my laptop? Reason I ask is when the Zumo is connected, GE says installed map is lower 49 sw 2015.1. I called Garmin, they tell me that GE says this because that's the last map update installed to my zumo 550, and that the lower 49 2021.1 that I bought was a complete new map set.

Since my Zumo 550 was the device I connected, launched GE and went to my purchases tab and downloaded 2021.1 to the zumo, it appears to be licensed to that GPS as when I hook up my nuvi 295w, go to purchased tab, there's no new purchases shown(I'd assume this to be correct). I'm logged in to GE and all GPS are registered to me on my.garmin.com.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 355 times
Great Britain

Re: Mapsource and a map update

Post by sussamb »

Not sure what you're asking here but if you're hoping to install a map download purchased through the Garmin website to your PC that isn't possible. Also that map would be locked to the device you bought it for.
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

Like I said preceding the ? Regarding GE and installing to PC, what map would be installed toy PC? The map that is currently on my zumo 550, or the map that GE says is on my zumo 550?

The ? Regarding why people might have multiple maps, and what the advantage might be seemed obvious.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

The map that GE says is on your Zumo. This assumes I'm correct that the newer map you bought was via a download from Garmin?
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

Yes, my newer map was purchased as a download. Dang it...

Perhaps you know the following: why am I not able to install my map to my PC, using GE. Doesn't matter if I've got my Zumo 550, or my nuvi 295w plugged in. GE says zumo 5550 has lower 49 2015.1 installed, nuvi 295w show North America 2014.1.

Is it unable to install either because they're no longer at Garmin's website? Either one will 'start' the install, shows some download speed, but both fail before getting to even 1%.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That's possible but I can't say for sure, I guess you'd need to call Garmin. However try this FAQ first https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=G ... C0ULxHR2T6
communicator
Been liked: 6 times
France

Post by communicator »

CRracer wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm After closing it, windows is determined to not allow me to open again. After more research, I found the most recent update for mapsource, 6.13.2, and installed it. Windows seems happy now.
6.13.2 is not the last version of MapSource. The last is 6.16.3.
You can downlod this las version here : http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/
Go down until you see this line: "MapSource_6163.exe 2010-11-10 16:04 54M" and donwload it.
On s'en fout de connaitre la vérité, l'essentiel c'est d'avoir raison (Me Eric Dupond-Moretti)
It doesn't matter what the truth is, the important thing is to be right (French Lawyer Eric Dupond-Moretti

Fun is not a straight line !!!!
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

communicator wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am
CRracer wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm After closing it, windows is determined to not allow me to open again. After more research, I found the most recent update for mapsource, 6.13.2, and installed it. Windows seems happy now.
6.13.2 is not the last version of MapSource. The last is 6.16.3.
You can downlod this las version here : http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/
Go down until you see this line: "MapSource_6163.exe 2010-11-10 16:04 54M" and donwload it.

You're right, and that's what I have. Been looking at too many numbers lately😁
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

sussamb wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:17 am That's possible but I can't say for sure, I guess you'd need to call Garmin. However try this FAQ first https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=G ... C0ULxHR2T6
I'll check that out.

Got me wondering though. Took my new maps on SD card out. Put old 2015 sw map back in internal (Basecamp reads the map, but the progression line is red, not green, then once read, it disappears).

At the moment I'm installing a different portion, and have selected to install to PC. It appears to be working this way.
CRracer
United States of America

Post by CRracer »

My portion, and installing to PC failed. It failed on 3 separate machines. All windows 10. I'm wondering if a windows 7 machine would work better.