Load Custom Waypoint/POI Symbols on 595

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Aggie95
United States of America

Load Custom Waypoint/POI Symbols on 595

Post by Aggie95 »

Is it possible to load/use Custom Waypoint or POI Symbols on the zumo 595. The symbols from BaseCamp would be great, if I could find them. Does anyone know if the symbols from BaseCamp can be loaded onto the 595? I have a few thousand POIs that fall into one of six Categories and I would like them to show on the 595 if I get close to one or more of the POIs. I would like them to show a familiar but specific Symbol correlated to the Category to which the POI belongs.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Load Custom Waypoint/POI Symbols on 595

Post by sussamb »

Unfortunately it's only handhelds that accept custom symbols. The last On the road device that accepted symbols from BaseCamp was the 14xx series

You can however create symbols for POIs and use POI Loader to install them.
Aggie95
United States of America

Post by Aggie95 »

Sussamb,
Can you tell me how to use custom symbols for Custom POIs on the 595? I have tried several methods, none of which has worked, so far. I have used the symbol naming scheme of 001.bmp, 008.bmp, 009.bmp (I later learned that this is the convention for BAseCamp only) and "waypoint name", "Custom 1", "Custom 2", etc. I have used "Category Name", of course using the same name in the individual POI definition, and copying the custom symbol into the folder from which the .gpi file is constructed by POILoader. I haven't found anything that works.

Also, I would like to use the symbols provided in BaseCamp, but i cannot find where they are located.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can only use custom symbols in POI Loader when creating the POIs from the beginning, so if for example you have a gpx file named alpha in a folder then in the same folder you need a symbol named alpha, the file names must be exactly the same, then point POI Loader at that folder.

Note the restrictions here https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=g ... LNr3BP8m36 although I've successfully used icons up to 44x44
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

Aggie95 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:37 pm Is it possible to load/use Custom Waypoint or POI Symbols on the zumo 595. The symbols from BaseCamp would be great, if I could find them. Does anyone know if the symbols from BaseCamp can be loaded onto the 595? I have a few thousand POIs that fall into one of six Categories and I would like them to show on the 595 if I get close to one or more of the POIs. I would like them to show a familiar but specific Symbol correlated to the Category to which the POI belongs.

You and I are having the same problem
Aggie95
United States of America

Post by Aggie95 »

Sussamb,

Thanks so much! I have scoured the www looking for this information. This worked! Also, you have provided me with links to Garmin Support that answer my questions a couple of times. But, I have tired many times to find such info on the Garmin site with no success! Do you have some sort of "Magic Key" or is there something I don't know about searching their site?

Next, can you tell me if there is a way to pull icons out of BaseCamp to use in the zumo 595. There are icons in BaseCamp that are quite suitable to me and I would like to use the same icon in both, but I cant find these symbol files anywhere...

Thanks Again for your help!!

Patrickg450,
Custom POIs combined with the "Proximity Alerts" should help you with your issue. Proximity Alerts can be set to announce POIs nearby both audibly and visually, but I'm not yet sure what "visually" means. I think on the 595 it may mean a message displayed on the banner across the top of the map. With this lockdown, I haven't been able to confirm this. Sussamb may be able to address this; he's obviously quite knowledgeable about Garmin!!
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Sorry but no way to pull the icon set from BaseCamp, would be nice if there was :)
patrickg450
United States of America

Post by patrickg450 »

I have had "hit or miss" success with my old waypoints that I have loaded with the POI loader. Sometimes it has worked, most time it has not, so far they are just "test ones" close to home as I drive to work or to the store.

DO yo have a good .GPX or .GPI file you can shoot me? Maybe I can look at it ans see what I am doing wrong. Also I only need 5 or 10 LARGER ICONs myself. I did get some from the POI loader group, but they are OK as best (for me). What all 48x48 icons do yo have?