Zumo XT section

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Skipper
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Sweden

Re: Zumo XT section

Post by Skipper »

I wonder why in the whole world they would choose to exclude the TPMS.
I, as many of my bikerfriends with a 590, have bought TPMS and if this is not included
in the XT, it would certainly make us think twice about upgrading.

I have asked Garmin Sweden about it but thay do not seem to know if
it is included or not but I am pretty sure it is not, as it does not mention it in the intructionbook.,
which is in Swedish

Still waiting for the XT to be launched in Sweden, said to be mid April.
2010 Vulcan 1700 CT (Nomad)
RV Kabe Travelmaster 880 LT Royal
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

Sadly TPMS is not included in the XT. Almost a deal breaker for me. That being said, there are plenty, relatively cheap, stand alone TPMS system on the (Chinese) market. I have yet to find something really nice but it will be another extra thing on the bike that I rather would've seen integrated in the navi...
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
Skipper
Sweden

Post by Skipper »

I emailed Garmin and got the following answer.
Not what I wanted to hear.

Hello Leif,

Unfortunately, the TPMS is not supported by the XT. I do not have any information confirming whether this is something that will be added in the future. I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Rick
Product Support
Garmin International
For 24-hour access to support videos, manuals, FAQs & more, visit the Support Center.
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

I still have my 590 mounted in addition to the XT.

Ironically the first day that I rode with my XT my 590 told me I had. a slow leak. I was about 100 km from home and have a compressor and repair kit on the bike. It was just above freezing so I would rather do it in a warmer spoke. I could see from the graph of the pressure drop that if I topped up the tire I could get home so I did that.

Not having TPMS on the gps isn't a show stopper as I could alway get one of the aftermarket unit but it sure would be nice it Garmin was able to add it to the XT.

..Tom
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

By far the two most common complaints about the 590 and 595 were that the screen sucked and the price was exorbitant. Garmin was obviously listening. They improved the screen immensely and lowered the price point below both the 590 and 595. In order to lower the price point they left out some features that had been included in the previous models. I suspect Garmin has very extensive data on just exactly how many TPMS sensors they sold and if they felt it as a significant demand they would have continued to offer the feature. The fact is, there are stand alone TPMS kits out there for around $50. Considering that to add TPMS to the 595 you need to purchase a pair of sensors for an additional $140 it all makes sense to me.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
Hati
Been liked: 15 times
Australia

Post by Hati »

Breezly wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:43 pmThe fact is, there are stand alone TPMS kits out there for around $50.
True, but the problem is reliability. I had to get in a hurry a set through eBay once I ordered the XT. Essentially two types are available, three if you count the phone app version. The cheap Chinese eBay offerings have many shortcomings, the app based one is the most expensive out there, leaving the Cyclops set to be the only one to consider if it didn't have an extremely low high pressure warning threshold (43 psi).

In short, apart of car TPMS systems, there is really nothing out there that is a quality product for us riders.
Skipper
Sweden

Post by Skipper »

Well, you wouldn't think that the cost for Garmin to include it would be so high.

The bluetooth is already there and the software already exists.

I have no idea what is involved to include it in the software, may be somebody on this forum could make a guess.
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

The lack of TPMS was not a concern for me, as my '12 R1200RT has this feature. It has proved itself useful, warning me that I had a puncture well before I could feel it.

My KLR has tubes and 'leaks' tend to be fast and dramatic; TPMS is of limited utility when things go from 32psi to 0psi in five seconds.

As to including it in the XT software, I should think it would be trivial. It's just an XT app, isn't it? It's no different/costly than including the Explore app, which communicates with your phone's Drive app via BT.
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

With its ability to update itself via WiFi, I suppose it is not out of the question that a TPMS app could be added at a later date. Perhaps if Garmin hears the demand they might respond, the better to sell the sensors.
Skipper
Sweden

Post by Skipper »

I have written to Garmin International directly and told them what we think of their decision not to include TPMS for the XT.
Looking at their own homepage there is no end to how good this is and now that is obviously not the case any longer.

I and a lot of my friends in Vulcan Riders Sweden have invested about a 100 us dollars for this and
now it is obsolete if you want to upgrade your equipment.

As has been pointed out in this thread it should be a relatively easy fix as it is already developed and it should be easy to
incorporate this app in the software.

I hope that you all will write to Garmin as customer pressure would certaimly help to make them change their mind.

I will certainly also keep the pressure on the Swedish Garmin disvision.