Zumo XT section

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT section

Post by Tom Schmitz »

My first impressions upon reading through the manual.

I like most of what I see, but there are some concerns.

There is no audio-out, so interfacing with my BMW will leave me in the clutches of BMW's notoriously (worse than Garmin) bad BlueTooth protocols.
It has the Incident Report feature, of which only the SMS messaging can be canceled. I recall this feature being an issue on the previous zumos.
The battery is internal and not readily replaceable. I keep things long enough to have batteries run out of life.

They have a sort of bromance going with HISTORY, TripAdvisor and Foursquare. Not a plus or minus, but a 'meh'. As long as it doesn't get in the way it is neither here nor there but I would prefer an opt-out on this sort of thing.

I was never interested in the 39X and 59X zumos, but I think I should read through their manuals to become more acquainted with modern zumo stuff, the better to compare and contrast.

Back to reading between the lines in the XT manual...
tcbandituk
Has liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by tcbandituk »

tcbandituk wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:06 am Anyone know if it has Livetrack on it?
Can't see it mentioned in the specs.
Looking at the manual, it's not on the XT, so I'll stick with my current one for now......
Bond007
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by Bond007 »

The new Zumo XT looks amazing! I will be purchasing one as soon as they come available in Canada 🇨🇦 !!
Tom Schmitz
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 19 times
United States of America

Post by Tom Schmitz »

Even though I just recently got around to modifying my z660's cradle to eliminate unnecessary cabling on one bike and recently purchased a back-up digitizer and screen for it, I decided to place an order for an XT with Touratech. Whenever they get here; who knows. I did the pre-order with Tt because Garmin had no way to place an order. The next day the Garmin site opened up for orders. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Good thing I'm not keen on being the first one on my block to have an XT...

An extra mount and cable were ordered for the second bike on a separate order. Who knows how long it will take to get the accessory bits into stock.

I do like the simple power cable of the XT and the way the cable connector goes into the mounting plate. A step forward, compared to the z660.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

For anyone that hasn't found it yet, the manual is here
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partN ... ab=manuals

Some of the XT pages still point to nothingness.

----

The lack of wired connection is an issue for me. I ride with a pillion. I find it particularly helpful if she can hear and see the satnav directions. Especially on the continent when driving on the right introduces many more hazards, it is very useful for the pillion to match the unknown foreign placename on road signs with the unknown foreign word on the satnav.

With what appears to be only BT connection, it would seem that the Zumo can connect only to one headset and smartphone. Not both. While sophisticated BT headsets have two channels to allow rider to pillion communication AND connection to an individual music / phone source, I am not aware of any that can share a single source.

With a wired autocom, we can both share the same phone call (while it is still legal), we can communicate with each other, we can both hear whatever is coming from the satnav. Not that we do all of this much of the time, but being able to do it when we need to is sometimes very useful.

In any case, it seems that in order to use this XT, I would need to purchase BT capability for my autocom. (Early versions were not very good in my experience, I assume that they have improved). I don't know if they can support rider / pillion and inout / output from a smartphone.

Research needed

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

jfheath wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:39 pm With what appears to be only BT connection, it would seem that the Zumo can connect only to one headset and smartphone. Not both. While sophisticated BT headsets have two channels to allow rider to pillion communication AND connection to an individual music / phone source, I am not aware of any that can share a single source.
Sounds like the 590 / 595 modus operandi, so not surprised if the XT is the same.
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

jfheath wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:39 pm For anyone that hasn't found it yet, the manual is here
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partN ... ab=manuals

With a wired autocom, we can both share the same phone call (while it is still legal), we can communicate with each other, we can both hear whatever is coming from the satnav. Not that we do all of this much of the time, but being able to do it when we need to is sometimes very useful.

In any case, it seems that in order to use this XT, I would need to purchase BT capability for my autocom. (Early versions were not very good in my experience, I assume that they have improved). I don't know if they can support rider / pillion and inout / output from a smartphone.

Research needed
I have (happily!) replaced my old Autocom AVI Pro with a Cardo Packtalk Bold. Everything I have tried works as advertised (Voice command, Phone calls, music, access to "Okay Google" etc.) I have not yet tried connecting with another headset but evidently it can share your music (and I imagine instructions) with other users. There are some glitches with bluetooth but they aren't show stoppers.

..Tom
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for that @V-Tom.

I've had a conversation with the very helpful guys at Chain-Speed here in the UK. They inform me that their Bluetooth Module BTM-03 provides the BT capability at the Autocom end to enable me to do exactly what I do now with that bunch of wires from the Zumo 590. Now normally, I would be reluctant to trust the word of a salesman, but I make an exception with ChainSpeed - they really do know their stuff. I've asked advice and bought stuff from them for years.

So when they get their next delivery in, the XT and BT module will be on their way to me, at which point I'll be able to report back. Assuming that I'm still around by then.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

[mention]jfheath[/mention]

I really got my money's worth out of the Autocomm and enjoyed using it but have the sense that time's moved on and has left them behind.

I ride about 50,000 km /30,000 miles a year. It's hard on the units and on the cables and, unless you need to hook up several devices ad/ or record your voice modern Bluetooth headsets (and I'm only familiar with the Card Packtalk Bold) are simply a better solution. No cables to wear out, the noise cancellation and auto volume control work so well that people I call or that call me don't even realize I'm riding over 120 kph. I liked the 590 and l have mine mounted (as much for the TPMS as for anything.). I can't speak to communicating with other bikes yet but from what I read the Cardo mesh works brilliantly.

And the single unit I bought wasn't a whole lot more than buying a replacement headset and cables for my Autocomm would have cost.

..Tom
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for that [mention]V-Tom[/mention] . I have only just got round to looking at the Packtalk. It looks good. I'm going to give that some serious scrutiny - perfectly happy with my Autocom, but next time it starts costing me money I will have an alternative way to go.