Renaming via points

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Fitz
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Ireland

Renaming via points

Post by Fitz »

Most of the via points on my routes are unannounced shaping points. I use announced via points for places I actually want to stop. I edit the names of the announced points to something meaningful, e.g changing "London Road and Brook Street" to "Stop 3 coffee shop."

However, when I transfer the routes to my 396, they're not behaving consistently. The stopping points are all announced, but most revert to their original name, and only a few announce with their new edited name.

What am I doing wrong / why are they not consistent, anyone?

Thanks
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Renaming via points

Post by sussamb »

Have you deleted the older routes before sending the new ones? Mine transfer fine normally but I have heard of folks having issues if pre-edited routes aren't deleted.
Fitz
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Ireland

Post by Fitz »

Yep, brand new routes composed in BC from scratch.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

A year too late, but I will comment for anyone coming to the topic for the first time.

I am pretty sure that I used to be able to rename any point on my route and it would appear in the Zumo with the modified name. At some point, and I don't know when, this behaviour seems to have changed. However, It is entirely possible that I have not remembered correctly, or that I never came across it before by sheer chance - but it came as a complete surprise that I couldn't rename them when I tried a few days ago. Sorry - I can rename them in Basecamp, but the renames are not echoed by the Zumo.

All points can be renamed in Basecamp, only some of them retain the changed name when the Zumo receives them. I only came across this annoying quirk a few days ago, so i investigated. I am using a Zumo 590 and a 595.

I haven't finished with it yet, but at the moment it seems that:

Any Waypoint can be renamed and its name will be retained in the Zumo
Note that a Waypoint can only be created with the Waypoint Flag tool.
It will appear in the Zumo in the list of favourites

When adding points to an existing route using the Insert Tool (the rubber band tool), the placed point may or may not land on a known location.
* If the point is given a specific name, and you rename it, the new name will not appear in the Zumo
* If the point is given a 'made up' name comprising road numbers, it can be renamed and will be accepted by the Zumo.

I have just tried and cannot repeat this last observation in orange. At present it seems that only Waypoints created by the user, or Waypoint dropped onto an existing feature (eg a hotel), can have their name changed in such a way that the Zumo recognises it. ie it has to be a waypoint. The edited name is transferred to the Zumo. The original name isn't. So it may well be using its own internal database of names as decribed below.

I am guessing that the Zumo recognises the coordinates, and if it has a name associated with the coordinates, it displays that, rather than the name in the transferred file. This would help to put meaningful names on routes that are derived from other software which has just coordinates, and no associated name.

I never used Waypoints in my routes very much, unless I needed the address and /or phone number of a location in my satnav. I would just use the rubber band (insert) tool to define the start and end and then add the intermediate point. Finally, I would change them to Via or Shaping points.

Since discovering this, I think more carefully about the Via points at the outset. I now create my key points the using the Waypoint (flag) tool, or pick then up from known features on the map and create a waypoint from the pop-up. The Waypoints then become my Via Points. I let Basecamp create the route from the selected Waypoints. Then I add the intermediate points - these become my non announcing shaping points.

The Via Points which announce I can edit to my hearts content - because I created them as my own Waypoints. I didn't care about the other points - they were never shown on my 590. I may change my mind about that, because the 595 shows the name of the shaping point when it offers to skip it.

I will try to find out more.
Last edited by jfheath on Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by Iris »

When I am riding along and following my route and my next destination is a place that I have saved, I wish that I could easily see what it is.
I forget if my destination is gas, or is it lunch or is it someplace to take a picture of....I just never know unless I remember it.
Is there an easy way to see it as I’m riding? I don’t want to have to click through and scroll all the directions in order to find it.
I’m using a 590. On the bottom right I am able to toggle between next destination (“via arrival”) or final destination (“Arrival”) and a few other options.....But if I choose to see how many miles until my via arrival, I don’t know what that via is.
Does that make sense? I want it to say WHAT that via is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

No. Unfortunately, the Zumo 590 Does not tell you the name of the next Via Point. I wish that it did. The 595 does when displayed with 'skip' information. But its not the name you gave it in Basecamp, unless you created it as a Waypoint.

They announce as you approach them and display the name . They normally do this a mile or two away, then half a mile away and finally at around 60 yards away. It seems to depend on speed and other navigation instructions. Occasionally it doesn't display the name on the banner. I haven't worked out the circumstances when that happens. It can't be random.

If you created the Via Points as Waypoints with the Basecamp flag tool, then Zumo will have them as favourites. You can get those to show up in the map, and I think that by touching them it will tell you the name. Not sure about that, I need to check it out, and i am away from my satnav at present.
--------
Nb you can display 4 items of data on the screen at the same time. - not just the one in the bottom right. Click the 3 bar menu, and select Data. If it isnt there you might need to enable it in settings, map tools. Note thst the display is different if you have a route running, and different again when the unit is in bike or car mode. It remembers a setting for each.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.