New member from old forum

Feel free to join up and say hello here.
Drjfjr
Has liked: 5 times
United States of America

New member from old forum

Post by Drjfjr »

Wow- didn’t know this site existed. Missed the old zumo forum. I have a 550 I bought when they first came out. Buttons started falling off of it on my last trip. Just ordered a new 595 but still plan to get the 550 repaired. It’s still a great unit.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Re: New member from old forum

Post by carolinarider09 »

Welcome to the forum. I still have my second 550. Had the buttons repair by Palm DR. Excellent work. Its still a good unit and I can get maps loaded still.
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Post by kernowing »

Welcome to the forum Drjfjr. The 550 was a good unit which the majority of Zumo users seem to have had at some time.
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

Welcome to the forum Drjfjr.

I never owned a 550. Had several friends that had them and loved them. I had, and still have, a SP2610. It is stuck in the dark reaches of my cabinet:-) It still works and in some ways worked better than my 660, but with no features. It took a while for Garmin to iron out the kinks on the 660, but once they did it works well and I like it. Each new model seems to have great features delivered along with quirks and things we wish were still there. I often wonder if/when the smartphone will fully take over our GPS needs.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I very much doubt it for me (re mobile phones as sat navs) I like the ability to plan stuff on the computer and transfer it to the satnav - and to transfer the logs back again.

Last time we bought a car, we got one with a satnav built in - and for the price of the additional extra, my humble opinion is that it was a waste of good money. It has voice recognition, but it doesn't recognise much of what I say. It made me realise what a superb bit of kit the Garmins are.

As for the 550. Yes it was good. Mine was terrible at calculating the ETA - half an hour from the estimated time to the destination the ETA would start stretching away, sometimes taking an hour to get there. But you get used to things like that. The 660 had many improvements, including the ability to automatically skip route points as long as you were on the plotted route. The ETA was almost spot on, and it was so much faster in operation and had a bigger, brighter screen.

You will like the 595. That makes similar leaps forward.

Correction. You will hate the 595. It will attempt to drive you nuts. But don't let it. It's a different beast, does things in a different way, and as soon as you realise that and start learning how it actually works, it is a real beauty. There are plenty of us on here who have done all of the tearing out of hair that is necessary. No need for you to go through the same steep learning curve. Just yell out.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Moose
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Post by Moose »

Welcome it's about time you got here
Drjfjr
Has liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by Drjfjr »

Wingstyle wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:15 pm Welcome to the forum Drjfjr.

I never owned a 550. Had several friends that had them and loved them. I had, and still have, a SP2610. It is stuck in the dark reaches of my cabinet:-) It still works and in some ways worked better than my 660, but with no features. It took a while for Garmin to iron out the kinks on the 660, but once they did it works well and I like it. Each new model seems to have great features delivered along with quirks and things we wish were still there. I often wonder if/when the smartphone will fully take over our GPS needs.
I used my 550 in Europe and New Zealand and all over the US. I once decided to use my cell phone instead when on a business trip to Fresno California. I drove up to Yosemite Kings canyon and no service. Rendered my cell phone useless as a GPS as I did not have maps downloaded. This and cost of replacement (new decent cell phones are close to twice the price of a dedicated Motorcycle GPS) and the ability to plan routes and download routes influenced my decision to upgrade. I’m worried that even after getting the 550 buttons repaired it will let me down. It is a 13 year old unit but it goes well with my 17 year FJR1300. It even looks ok on my 3 year old Ducati.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)