Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Removing residue from old trips

Post by jfheath »

To clear out everything except trip logs:
Delete your favourites from the Zumo screen menus
Delete Trips from the trip planner app.
Delete Temp.gpx and Current.gpx from the Garmin folder via Windows Explorer.
Reboot the Zumo
I have sometimes found it necessary to turn it off completely - hold the power button in for a while until the red OFF button shows on screen and tap that. I haven't found out why this would be the case though, and it hasn't been consistent.

Any routes and waypoints on the SD card can be deleted from within Basecamp, or by deleting the files from within Windows Explorer.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just to clarify that, as I said any gpx file in that GPX folder should be deleted, not just temp.gpx
Iris
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times
United States of America

Post by Iris »

The last post from JHeath is exactly what I do on my 590.
That is the only way that it can be cleaned out and stay cleaned.
As he mentioned, shutting down the unit completely (after deleting the files) is critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Interesting observation the other day investigating my Zumo 590 plus 5.

The 4.6.0 software does not create a temp.gpx in the GPX folder (as far as I can tell)

Instead, when routes are transferred to the Zumo, it puts them in separate file in the Garmin/GPX folder and names them as
Route.gpx, Route0.gpx, Route1.gpx, Route2.gpx, etc
and
Waypoints.gpx, Waypoints0.gpx, Waypoints1.gpx, Waypoints2.gpx, etc etc

This is very similar to the way that routes are stored on the memory card. One pair of files per route.

So to clear out old routes etc.
Delete the contents of Garmin/GPX
Delete Current.gpx from the GPX folder - but not CurrentTrackLog.gpx, or (position.gpx)

Delete routes, favourites, History from the Zumo itself.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
peaksbumbler
Great Britain

Post by peaksbumbler »

Resurrecting this thread - Zumo 395 - following guidance from earlier posts, I have managed to delete most of the unwanted waypoints, destinations, tracks etc, but am still left with about a dozen tracks from last year visible when I select the "internal storage" folder through basecamp. I cannot see anything in the GPX folders in explorer having deleted what little appeared to be in them. According to the Zumo itself, there are no destinations stored, no trips stored, no tracks stored, and yet I appear to be able to "clear travel history" if I select "Apps", "Tracks", "Active". However, selecting "clear Travel History" does not make any difference, no matter how many times I have tried it, shutting down immediately afterwards, or simply plugging back into the PC.

I assume these tracks are not taking up a huge amount of space, and there is plenty on the system, but it is just annoying to have these visible every time I use BC to download or upload new details.

Any further thoughts? Thanks.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I wonder if you are referring to the archived travel log files.

I have no experience with the 396, but some of the information from the 590 and 595 may be relevant.

On the 590 these are stored in Internal Storage/GPX/Archive. I assume the same is true for the other Zumos, but cannot be certain.
In there you will find around 20 gpx files, numbered consecutively - eg 23.gpx, 24.gpx, 25.gpx up to 42.gpx

The CurrentTrackLog.gpx in Internal Storage/GPX builds up a number of tracks that the ZUmo has plotted while out riding or driving. This records thousands of points that it has plotted. Each point has date, time, elevation, latitude, longitude, bearing, speed and one such point its recorded every few seconds of the trip.

Eventually this file becomes full - something around 3.5Mb, but often less. When this happens, the file is moved to the Archive folder and given the next consecutive number - eg 43.gpx - and a new empty CurrentTrackLog.gpx is created.
On the 590, it will only keep the most recent 20 gpx files, so in the example above, when 43.gpx is created, the oldest file - 23.gpx - is deleted.

You can delete these if you wish, but the system will keep creating new ones. They take around 60Mb of space - which out of 16Gb isn't a great deal. But there is an option to turn off the track logging. Sometimes to clear out everything, deleting temp.gpx is also required. I have found this necessary to get rid of routes that I have transferred from Basecamp, which then keep popping up as being available for import. I have found no there way of getting rid of these.

Often, after deleting system files, you have to perform a cold restart of the Zumo. When it starts up again it rebuilds the files and folders that it needs, if they are not there. By cold start, I mean turn it off by holding down the power button until the screen shows a red button to turn it off. It then takes much longer to restart - which is what is required.

I do all of the above quite frequently - but I am not an expert in the Zumos. I just know what I think I have found out and it works for me. Deleting files from the Zumo has to be carried out at your own risk. Delete the wrong ones, and you could end up having to send it back to Garmin for a reset - which will cost you.

Personally, I like to keep them - and will download the newest ones every couple of months so that I have a copy before they get over-written. I like to keep a record of long trips and I use them to plot the routes traveled on mapping software - such as Ordnance Survey maps on MemoryMap. BAsecamp will read them and provide information as you move the mouse around, or draw speed or elevation graphs.
I like to keep a record of our holidays and longer trips - write them up with memories, photos and route maps. Years down the line, they make interesting reading. Its also nice to go back to places that we went to and to find those brilliant riding roads that we came across quite by accident.

I believe that these logs have been used as evidence in court to fight against speeding fines, and to prove that you were somewhere else at the time (eg if your reg plate has been cloned).

On older photos, before cameras has GPS, the time stamp and position coordinates of the Zumo log files can be used to electronically stamp the lat/long coordinates onto a digital photograph. (You take a photo, its time is recorded. Free software will find out where you were at that time from your stanav log and put the coordinates into the jpg file).

peaksbumbler
Great Britain

Post by peaksbumbler »

Thanks for the reply. In basecamp, in the Zumo internal storage, I still have 17 tracks and one waypoint showing, which I cannot delete through BC – no option exists. When I look in file explorer, having selected “show hidden files”, the Zumo doesn’t show as such, but under Virtual Garmin (D:) there are two empty gpx folders. I deleted some stuff in there earlier on when trying to clear the unwanted data out. Obviously the 395 doesn’t have the same file structure as the 590.

So I guess from what you are saying, I simply have to live with this.
I really don’t understand Garmins lack of consistency in programming. I have a walking / cycling GPS 64S and can delete everything through BC – why not the Zumo?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

On the road devices work differently from On the trail devices. That's the main reason why. On the trail devices work from the gpx files themselves so BaseCamp can edit/delete them etc. On the road devices work off hidden files that neither BaseCamp or you can access.
EmmausMoto

Post by EmmausMoto »

peaksbumbler wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:25 pm Thanks for the reply. In basecamp, in the Zumo internal storage, I still have 17 tracks and one waypoint showing, which I cannot delete through BC – no option exists. When I look in file explorer, having selected “show hidden files”, the Zumo doesn’t show as such, but under Virtual Garmin (D:) there are two empty gpx folders. I deleted some stuff in there earlier on when trying to clear the unwanted data out. Obviously the 395 doesn’t have the same file structure as the 590.

So I guess from what you are saying, I simply have to live with this.
I really don’t understand Garmins lack of consistency in programming. I have a walking / cycling GPS 64S and can delete everything through BC – why not the Zumo?
I had the same problem. Wanted to get rid of Activity Logs since I had already used them to create new tracks and they just got in the way of viewing the real tracks on basecamp. So I plugged in my 396. Then opened windows explorer, went to the C: drive. Then Zumo 396 then internal storage. Here I opened GPX then the Archive folder. I highlighted all these, copied them for safety then deleted. After restarting Basecamp, the Activity Logs were gone when viewing the internal storage of the Zumo. Hope that helps.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post, as you'll see from jfheath's post above he said exactly the same. Archive files cannot be deleted via BC and have to be deleted using the technique you and he suggest.