Data or Map Corruption

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
BillL
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Data or Map Corruption

Post by BillL »

Hi,
Has anyone experienced a corrupt map or map database? This seems to me to be a Zumo issue and not a BaseCamp issue. Long post to follow.

I was on a trip last week-end in Connecticut and Massachusetts. A number of times my Zumo 550 seemed to loose its way while navigating. Actually, the first bit of weirdness came when telling it to follow a route crated in BaseCamp. It seemed unable to navigate. The route was displayed on the map and it was displaying the track. However, there were no prompts to follow turns or exits. The lower right-hand box that normally displays distance to next turn contained only a black arrow that seemed to point North.

Several attempts to reset the process by stopping navigation and reselecting the route did not fix this. Including turning the unit off and re-starting seemed to do nothing for this either. This lead me to believe that perhaps my exported route was corrupt.

Next I abandoned the pre-made route and told it to navigate to the favorite that was the end point of the route. This seemed to reset the navigation part of the unit’s processors. Prompts came to life.

However, the unit began to loose its way. I was following a Connecticut state highway with controlled access similar to the Interstates on our way to a proper interchange with an Interstate. The navigation prompts suddenly took me off the state highway and on to local streets. From the display, it seemed that the state road disappeared from the map display. I went back to foggy memory of the route and navigated by hand, watching the bizarre instructions and lack of roads on the map. It was dark and raining.

That evening I re-built the routes in BaseCamp and re-downloaded the gpx file to the unit. In the same session, I attempted to transfer the evening’s tracks to BaseCamp using the “Transfer” menu command. No tracks were found with this command. The tracks were found in the current.gpx file created when mounting the Zumo to the computer. I’ve not experienced this before.

A subsequent attempt to transfer tracks at the time I write this also failed to see or transfer tracks to BaseCamp. Something wrong in here.

Next day, my son drove on a trip to North Adams, MA, staring in suburban Hartford. He was navigating with Google maps on his iPhone. I had the Zumo following along trying to diagnose what was happening.

Numerous times, I watched the Zumo “run out of road” on the display and then it would recalculate, prompting to “proceed to the highlighted route” a point not near our current location shown on the Google map.

Operating environments as follows.
MacBook Pro, OS X 10.14.6, BaseCamp 4.8.4, City Navigator North America 2020.10
Zumo 550 Software Version 5.00 Audio Version 2.30, GPS SW Version 3.00
Map Info: CN North America NT 2020.10, Lower 49 States NW.

Configuration Notes: I do not keep a map in the Zumo memory. My map is a gmapsupp.img file on an SD card. I have the North America maps on one card and EU on another card.

One more note. This unit just came back from the Palm Doctor repair guy in Mankato, Minnesota. I had an outing in Minnesota since then with planned routes over city streets and County roads in rural Minnesota. No events of “getting lost”.
2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200
BillL
United States of America

Re: Data or Map Corruption

Post by BillL »

After some study and comparison of the version of map in BaseCamp and the map in the Zumo, there are vast differences in the amount of detail. Most evident when viewed in Basecamp with the Zumo connected and switching between maps.

Near home, Minnesota, detail seems equal. When viewing the area of our last visit, the display seems to be missing at least 50% of local roads. Rural and city.

Corrupt map install? I found another thread from about a year ago that seems to relate similar problems.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=267

Edit: Link fixed. Sorry for the error.
Last edited by BillL on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

What map detail setting are you using in BaseCamp? If both are using the same maps you will see the same detail if the BC setting is at Highest.

Your link by the way is to this thread.
BillL
United States of America

Post by BillL »

sussamb wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:39 pm What map detail setting are you using in BaseCamp? If both are using the same maps you will see the same detail if the BC setting is at Highest.

I have looked at the detail settings. I am not sure I understand your comment. If BC detail is turned down and then MapInstall is run to move a map to the Zumo, the detail transferred is dependent on the display setting in BC?
BillL
United States of America

Post by BillL »

BillL wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:43 pm
sussamb wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:39 pm What map detail setting are you using in BaseCamp? If both are using the same maps you will see the same detail if the BC setting is at Highest.

I have looked at the detail settings. I am not sure I understand your comment. If BC detail is turned down and then MapInstall is run to move a map to the Zumo, the detail transferred is dependent on the display setting in BC?
I'm thinking I've been bitten by the broken version of MapInstall I've been reading about. I think I am 1 revision behind on the current version of the map. 2020.1 vs 2020.2. I've forgotten how to tell BC to look for updates. (lifetime maps on the Zumo).
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

The broken version of MapInstall won't affect what Express has installed on your PC. I assumed the detail was missing in BaseCamp, and that will vary dependant on what detail setting you have set there, but from what you now say it's map detail missing on your Zumo?

If you sent the map to your Zumo using Express it should be fine, if you sent it using MapInstall that could be the issue. The solution is to revert to an earlier version of BaseCamp.
BillL
United States of America

Post by BillL »

sussamb wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:36 am The broken version of MapInstall won't affect what Express has installed on your PC. I assumed the detail was missing in BaseCamp, and that will vary dependant on what detail setting you have set there, but from what you now say it's map detail missing on your Zumo?

If you sent the map to your Zumo using Express it should be fine, if you sent it using MapInstall that could be the issue. The solution is to revert to an earlier version of BaseCamp.
The last time I updated maps, year ago maybe, I got impatient with the slow USB 1 cable connection and tried to cobble together a way to use the SD card slot on my MacBook Pro. Somehow I botched that process. One of the things I did was clone the Zumo to the card by copying all the files to it. This got Garmin Express to see it as a unit. Somehow I lost the gmapsupp.img file on this card and ended up navigating in New England on some kind of base map. I can't explain a more detailed map environment seemingly in Zumo when navigating closer to home. This cloned card was in the Zumo slot.

I had archived the files on the SD card prior to horsing around with cloning the Zumo to the card. I restored that last night, dumped the existing gmapsupp.img file and had MapInstall install maps from the Mac to the Zumo SD card. This was my standard procedure until I had gotten impatient with the slow cable connection. The existing gmapsupp.img file needs to be removed from th card in order to transfer a new set of maps. MapInstall will not write over an existing .img file.

This process I learned from the old site. Lesson learned. Follow the process and don't get sloppy. I am back with an operational device. No map in internal memory and all of North America on an 8gb card that the Zumo sees as 4gb.

Hopefully, this closes the loop here with an understandable explanation.

Edit: BC 4.8.4, Garmin Express 6.14.0.0, MapInstall 4.3.2

Thank you all.

Bill