Security Screw

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Pockets
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Security Screw

Post by Pockets »

Hi again, Can anyone help me understand how the little security screw works on my motorcycle mount, I was under the impression that if I screwed it down it would stop the unit from being removed from the mount, so to remove it from the mount you needed to unscrew it lift the clamp and away you go. But on mine every time I fit it onto the mount and then need to remove it the little screw has magically wound its self down locking it to the mount. So to remove it I have to unscrew the little security screw every time I use it.What I want to do is clip it in at the beginning of a journey and take it out at the end without having to use the little safety device.
I’m sure it cannot be down to vibration there isn’t time for the screw to wined it’s self all the way to the bottom.
Sounds complicated but I’m sure you understand what I mean.
Look forward to your reply’s.
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: Security Screw

Post by Fallguy67 »

Several years ago when I got mine there was a guy on another forum that was selling a screw to replace the stock that you could screw/unscrew without the special screwdriver. I did a quick search and found a couple of things similar, you may like one of these or search some more for others...

https://www.ebay.com/p/Migsel-Security- ... 0REALw_wcB

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24703
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

What Fallguy67 said.

I replaced, on one of my mounts, the "security screw" with the knurled knob screw (offered at the time by someone) because it got to be a pain each time I wanted to stop and take the GPS off the mount on the bike. The little knurled knob screw, if I remember correctly, came with a tiny "O" ring to slide onto the bottom part of the screw so it would not just fall out when you popped the lever up. You could, after removing the GPS, close the top and re-tighten the screw to minimize it falling out of the mount.

I now have the 550 in my 1996 Explorer on a windshield mount and it still happens (I have the mount with the original security screw there and keep the little tool handy).
Pockets
Great Britain

Post by Pockets »

Is it not possible to remove the screw?, seems to be more of an inderance than a help, and just rely on the release mechanism on the back. The thing that makes it worse on my bike is the screen sits very close to satnav which makes it very difficult to unscrew the tiny screw with the screw driver.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Pockets wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:12 pm Is it not possible to remove the screw?, seems to be more of an inderance than a help, and just rely on the release mechanism on the back. The thing that makes it worse on my bike is the screen sits very close to satnav which makes it very difficult to unscrew the tiny screw with the screw driver.
Yes it is possible but not recommended. I have never had it not screwed in (if even from vibration which may be the reason it does that) but the possibility of the release mechanism releasing on its own accord is probable. That is why they have the screw.

And if it did release the results might well be catastrophic with the device hitting the pavement after a large bump.
Last edited by carolinarider09 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallguy67
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Yes, can remove it, but I think I would want some way to secure the latch.
Pockets
Great Britain

Post by Pockets »

Right I’m a bit confused now, if I fit my 550 into its cradle press down the security lever and do nothing else should I simply be able to lift the lever and remove the 550 from the cradle? In my experience if I fit the 550 to the cradle go out on the bike for run, when I attempt to remove the 550 it will not come away from the cradle, in order to remove it from the bike I I have to unscrew the security screw all the way to the top.
Sorry to keep this up but its really annoying me that I have to go through unscrewing routine every time i want to remove it from the bike.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Yes in the best of worlds and design, the security screw would simply "hang in there". But it does not. As the cradle is subjected to vibrations, no matter how trivial, the screw will thread itself in a little. A little is just enough to lock the cradle lever.

I don't know if this was by design as I have not checked the cradle's operation with the replacement knurled knob type security screw since I usually just screw in when I mount the GPS.

The design was such that it would make it very hard to remove the GPS from the cradle as during attempted theft or just normal bumps on the road.

And yes, most of us attach the GPS to our bikes with some type of ram mount that allows one to change the angle of the device which means its easy to simply undo the mount and rip the mount and wiring off the bike, even if the security screw is active. But, I think, its a design to prevent casual theft at a gas stop for instance. Not over night stays.

However, the new GPS devices, after the 550 like the 660 and the 665, did not use a security screw, most probably because of feedback from us the customers. They simply have a locking lever, button that you press to release. It works very well as I have never had a GPS device unlatch itself (a 660 or 665) while riding.

My first Garmin GPS was a 6820 I think and I don't remember the way it mounted. When I got the 550 I was impressed with the way the unit seemed to be made for us, the guys on two wheels. It was solid, the mount was solid (security screw and all) and I thought that was pretty cool. But I had to remember to always have that little knurled tool in my pocket or on the bike to allow me to remove the GPS at extended stops. A pain but still the device was always secured in the mount even if I forgot to turn in the screw. But things change and get better or at least different.
Fallguy67
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Pockets wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:58 pm Right I’m a bit confused now, if I fit my 550 into its cradle press down the security lever and do nothing else should I simply be able to lift the lever and remove the 550 from the cradle? In my experience if I fit the 550 to the cradle go out on the bike for run, when I attempt to remove the 550 it will not come away from the cradle, in order to remove it from the bike I I have to unscrew the security screw all the way to the top.
Sorry to keep this up but its really annoying me that I have to go through unscrewing routine every time i want to remove it from the bike.
As carolinarider09 said vibration is going to cause the screw to thread itself. You could removed the screw completely, but my fear would be that the security lever may come up due to vibration on a ride and cause the 550 to fall out. There are after market mounts as well that have a different lay out that don't use the stock security screw.