Low audio volume

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Florida Red Wing
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Low audio volume

Post by Florida Red Wing »

I just purchased my third Zumo 550. I have my maps and music all stored on an SD card in the Zumo. Both of the other Zumo's will blast music so loud that I have to keep the volume down to less than 50 percent. On the Zumo I just purchased with the volume up all the way I can hardly hear the audio prompts or the music.
Anybody have any idea what the problem might be?
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Re: Low audio volume

Post by Oop North John »

How are you getting the audio from the 550 to your ears?
Florida Red Wing
United States of America

I have the Zumo mounted on a 2010 Honda Goldwing. The audio is connected to the auxillary audio input of the bike. The audio is piped into my headset by way of EdSets helmet speakers. As I stated earlier, my other Zumo 550 works fine. It's just this one that seems to be a problem.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

I have to ask, just to eliminate them

You have checked both the master and media volume levels on the Zumo, correct?

You have not, by accident, pressed the mute button on the wings audio?

Have you checked the audio directly out of the Zumo's mount to verify the audio level?

There are times, with my 550, that I have found issues with its operation and sometimes those could be traced to the contacts between the unit and the mount. I would wipe them down, just to be sure.
Florida Red Wing
United States of America

carolinarider09 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:41 pm I have to ask, just to eliminate them

You have checked both the master and media volume levels on the Zumo, correct?
The Zumo music and navigation volume are both set at 100 percent.

You have not, by accident, pressed the mute button on the wings audio?
No, the mute button has not been depressed. I even switched over to my bikemp3 player and it's volume is much higher.

Have you checked the audio directly out of the Zumo's mount to verify the audio level?
I have not done this yet, but I will.

There are times, with my 550, that I have found issues with its operation and sometimes those could be traced to the contacts between the unit and the mount. I would wipe them down, just to be sure.
I have not cleaned the pins in the mount or the bottom of the gps. I have looked at both and wiped them with a rag. I will try cleaning them with an eraser to see if that helps.
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Florida Red Wing wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:01 pm As I stated earlier, my other Zumo 550 works fine. It's just this one that seems to be a problem.
I asked as I have a Bluetooth headset where one of its features is that you can change the volume for different features ie music / GPS / intercom. This feature is buried deep in the manual, and when I was having my ears blasted by GPS instructions but couldn't hear the music I was very confused. Reducing the GPS instructions level on the headset returned me to a happy person.

Hope you get yours sorted out as easily.
Florida Red Wing
United States of America

Thanks for all the responses. After trying them all without success I contacted Chris Short at Palm Dr who repairs broken GPS units about this issue. He told me that the Zumo 550 sometimes needs to be taken apart and repaired internally for audio volume issues. He said he should be able to do this repair for about $50.00.
Here is a link to his web site. http://www.palmdr.com/
Thanks again for everyone's input.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Chris is an excellent choice. He repaired by Zumo 550 several years ago, still going strong.