Removing residue from old trips

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Controlu
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Removing residue from old trips

Post by Controlu »

Plugging my 396 into computer and looking at the internal storage via base camp, I see many blue flag way points and Active Logs that still remain from trips out of state that I will not be repeating. How do I get them deleted from my internal storage? I can't do it in Base Camp cuz I don't get the option. The actual routs have been removed but I still have the residue.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Removing residue from old trips

Post by sussamb »

I guess you're talking about the trip log? On older devices you could select clear trip log but on the newer ones I believe you just switch it off to clear it. I keep trip log recording permanently off so can't confirm that.
betthe
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by betthe »

Using my 665 (not a 396) i see the following, using windows explorer

Please note, i am NOT using BaseCamp
Garmin Zumo (L:)
Removable storage (M:)

Looking at the (L:) drive, i have a folder "GPX", and in that folder, a file "Current.gpx"! I copy any files or folders to my desktop before deleting. The "Current.gpx" holds what i believe you are trying to delete.

You can not do this using BaseCamp...
Always make copies before deleting...
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

Not sure if it is the same on 396 but on the 660, you can delete some of the data on the unit under My Data and Favorites. You can get rid of the rest by deleting the current.gpx and temp.gpx files while connected to the computer, like Bethe said. Deleting the two gpx files may remove some of the same data as you can do on the unit. I can't remember for sure what all it removes.

I try to remember to delete both gpx files every time before I transfer routes. This is very helpful if you have a route with the same name already on the unit. Sometimes if you have the same name it will use the old route since it is in its memory.
Controlu
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by Controlu »

Thank you for the replies.
axil
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by axil »

Not sure if you got the information you needed or not. I just got a 396 to replace my 660 and managing data is quite different. To deleted waypoints on the 396 go to "Saved" (via "Where to"), press the menu bar in the top left corner (indicated by the three bars), and then select "Delete Saved Places" from the menu. This will then let you choose which places to delete. You can also delete an individual waypoint by selecting it, then clicking (i) and then the menu, which will then let you delete, edit or share that point. Just like the 660 you can only delete data from internal memory by using the device itself, not from Basecamp.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Here is some related information that I have worked out for the Zumo 590. The same MAY apply to the Zumo 396, but I have no way of finding out. If you use this info and discover it is the same or different, please let us know.

Most things can be deleted from within the Zumo menus - as has already been described.

But some things cannot be deleted in this way. Please - if you intend trying any of this for yourself, make sure that you have backup copies of the files. I have tried this out only with my Zumo 590, and while I suspect the 396 may be broadly similar, I cannot guarantee it. If you are not sure, don't do it. There's a possibility that it may stop your Zumo from working at all.

When a route is sent from Basecamp to the Zumo 590, it is a two stage process. First the route is transferred. Then the Zumo 590 has to import it into the trip planner App. This allows more routes to be transferred than trip planner can handle - so you can delete any or all imported routes and replace them with others that have also been transferred.

temp.gpx

The transferred routes are stored in a file call temp.gpx in the Internal Storage / GPX folder on the Zumo 590 Deleting this file gets rid of all of the routes that were transferred to Internal Memory. To get rid of routes that were transferred to the SD car, there is on GPX file for each route in the Garmin / GPX folder on the SD card, which can be deleted, along with the correspondingly numbered waypoints.gpx file.

Current.gpx

All favourites, and routing points are saved in a file called Current.gpx in the Internal Memory /GPX folder. Deleting this seems to have no effect, because when the Zumo 590 restarts, it somehow manages to recreate itself ! I thought that the Zumo 590 used to create an empty Current.gpx. I need to change my document.

CurrentTrackLog.gpx

As you ride along, Current track log build up a track gpx file of satnav readings and records time, speed, elevation and lat/long position - every second or so. This is stored in a file called CurrentTrackLog.gpx, and can be interrogated by Basecamp to show where you have been and draw speed and elevation profile graphs.

When CurrentTrackLog.gpx becomes full, it archives it by saving it into the GPX/Archive folder with a name something like 123.gpx. It then starts a new CurrentTrackLog.gpx. When that is full, it archives it with the next sequential number 124.gpx. And so it goes on. It only ever keeps 20 Archive files, so when the 21st archive file is created, the 1st gets deleted.

I like to keep these logs - they are a useful reminder of our tours and precisely which roads we have ridden - so I download them every couple of months or so, before the older ones get overwritten.
Last edited by jfheath on Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

To explain part of the above. Current.gpx is a one way copy of the favourites in the devices inaccessible memory. If you delete it as stated it will simply be recreated. This is because on boot up Garmin devices look for any gpx files in the GPX folder, merge those with what's in the inaccessible memory and then write a new current.gpx
OldNick
Canada

Post by OldNick »

I'm not fully understanding the previous posts. My problem is having a long list of previous route names (routes that are no longer relevant) that appear when I use Trip Planner and click IMPORT. These old routes are not in the microSD memory. If I look at the Zumo 590 internal memory via my PC I see a list that includes a GPX folder which within itself there are a list of GPX files and an "Archive" folder. Not really knowing what I'm doing I deleted the contents from the "archive" folder thinking maybe that's where the list names were stored but it didn't seem to do anything. I was reluctant to delete the main list of GPX files as I don't know what that would do or whether it would corrupt the main GPS map or whatever other damage might occur. Are these the files that cause the old route names to appear or is there another file such as the those in the TEXT folder than contain these old route labels (cannot open those as they are .GLX files and I have no idea what's in those). I really need to find a way to clean up that old route listing names.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can delete all the files in the gpx folder, since current.gpx will contain them all, but just in case that worries you copy them to your PC just in case. You can even delete current.gpx, your device will recreate it next time it boots, and as I said it's simply a one way copy of what's held in inaccessible memory.