Entering coordinates

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
FrostBite
United States of America

Entering coordinates

Post by FrostBite »

I am having a problem entering coordinates. For example if I want to enter 34.872...I can not enter a number greater than 5 after the decimal. This problem does not occur except in the first position after the decimal point. Help
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Entering coordinates

Post by sussamb »

Which format are you using? Can you give an example of a location you're trying? Your Zumo won't allow you to enter numbers that don't make sense so that is probably the issue.
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

You may have your format or datum set to a location that doesn't allow numbers over 6 in that location. Try to restore (reset) your coordinate settings back to their default values.

Where To>arrow down (lower right corner of the screen)>Coordinates>Format>Restore (bottom of the screen)>yes. Let us know if this helps.
FrostBite
United States of America

Post by FrostBite »

Wingstyle, I will try that and let you know.
FrostBite
United States of America

Post by FrostBite »

The suggestion seemed logical but after reformatting I still can not enter the coordinates I wish. I wish to enter 32.838212 but I am not allowed to enter a digit greater than 5 in the third position. Perhaps this photo will help explain:
gps.JPG
gps.JPG (109.63 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
As you can see, the numerals greater than 5 are not available in the 3rd position
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That's because you're trying to enter a decimal format into a degrees and minutes format. You need to select the lat/long decimal format.
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

Sussamb is absolutely correct. Reset puts you back to h ddd mm.mmm with a Datum WGS 84. As Sussamb stated you have a decimal format. You need to change your format to h ddd.ddddd.

Where To>arrow down>Coordinates>Format>Format box>arrow up>pick h ddd.ddddd>OK>back. You should be able to enter 34.872. Sorry, I should have told you that to begin with. However; reset will make sure you are using the correct datum WGS 84.

Here are a couple of Wikipedia links that may be helpful
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographi ... conversion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Geodetic_System
FrostBite
United States of America

Post by FrostBite »

Sussamb is absolutely correct and Wingstyle your directions were spot on. Y'all rock. Now back to rallying.