Zumo 550 CIty Navigator 2020 -- I AM LOST

shadango
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Zumo 550 CIty Navigator 2020 -- I AM LOST

Post by shadango »

I have had this Zumo for years.....probably 10 ish.

Its been reliable and I have loved it -- but have had a love hate relationship with it too...very clunky trying to upgrade maps that Garmin SAYS I have access to. I always have had a nightmare trying to mes with the maps....so I let it go, with the 2016 maps for the last 4 years.

TIl today....figured I would TRY to update with the 2020 version. The garmin site says my zumo comes with the maps and free updates and only needs the unlock codes...I follow their process and ....nothing.

Trying to use it in conjunction with Base Camp and Express .

Express installed "canada and border states on my Zumo......which doesnt help me....I need PA and some mid atlantic states....

But the Express program ONLY gives me access to "Canada and Bordering states".

OH. MY. GOD.

I am lost.

Can any one help ?

Should have left the old 2016 maps on it....but figured I would try....and now its only got the Canadian map on it.

Express gives me NO OTHER OPTIONS.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 550 CIty Navigator 2020 -- I AM LOST

Post by sussamb »

Your zumo is one of a number of models that doesn't work well with Express as it won't install maps directly to a sd card. What you need to do is install the maps to your PC and then use BaseCamp or MapInstall to send the maps to a sd card.
shadango
United States of America

Post by shadango »

sussamb wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:25 am Your zumo is one of a number of models that doesn't work well with Express as it won't install maps directly to a sd card. What you need to do is install the maps to your PC and then use BaseCamp or MapInstall to send the maps to a sd card.
Yeah, its been a real trial for the last several years.

Thing is, when I try and download the 2020 maps onto my PC, using the serial number of my unit etc, I cant seem to get it to do so....basecamp installed the same 2020 "canada and bordering states" maps that was on my Zumo.....how do I get the regions I actually want?

I am logged onto the Garmin US site and looking at my profile, and "nuMaps subscription North America Download is listed as my subscription/content (along with city Navigator North America NT 2013 , which expired 8/26/13.....

I really dislike Basecamp. The old mapquest software was so much easier to use (imho).

Just seem to be running in circles.

Should I consider "resetting" the Zumo? and if I do, I will lose all my waypoints etc saved up over the years I suppose?

I have replaced the screeen in this 550 and to be honest was ready to cut bait and go for a brand new one....

But the reviews of the newest Garmin motorcycle GPS units seem to be less than stellar....so the "make due with what I have" bug hits me again...
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

My Zumo 550 has lifetime maps. I am assuming that yours does as well. In other words, you have legitimate access to the maps. I have the 2020 maps on my 550. Here is the process I have used to update the maps on my 550. One thing I failed to include in the process is do not have Garmin Express running at the start of the process. You launch it later.

Here is how to update the maps on a Zumo 550 with lifetime maps. It requires an SD Card (I used an 8 gig card) and access to a computer with Garmin Express loaded and two USB connections so you can connect both the Zumo and the 8 gig card.

You connect the Zumo (I took the SD Card out of mine) and the 8 gig card (freshly formatted in FAT 32) to the computer and copy all the files from the Zumo's memory to the SD Card. In essence cloning the Zumo's internal memory.

You now eject your Zumo 550 from the computer, leaving the SD Card connected.

Once done, you can launch Garmin Express with the SD Card still installed and it will see it as your Zumo 550.

It will ask if you want to update maps (if new maps are available) and you just tell it to go ahead (well you actually have to use the mouse)

In about two or so hours, the new maps will be updated to the SD Card.

Now you have to do the following in the Garmin Folder on the SD Card

Rename the map files (in the Garmin Folder) from gmapprom.img, gmapprom.gma and gmapprom.unl to gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp,gma and gmapsupp.unl. You will need to do this after Express has finished installing the map on the SD. The map files must remain in the \Garmin folder on the SD card.

I then deleted all the other folders (except the Garmin Folder) from the SD Card, ejected the SD Card from my computer and put it into my Zumo 550.

Start your 550 and the maps will be downloaded or should I say, linked, to your device.
shadango
United States of America

Post by shadango »

Carolinarider09 --

In two words --- YOU ROCK!

Those were extremely clear instructions.

WHen I first connected the SD card to express, it STILL said I had the Canada maps only installed....but then it allowed a full update!

I have rebooted my Zumo with the full maps!

Ok...now if you will indulge me further....I do not want o hose this up....

What is my next step as far as connecting it to the Base camp software so I can build my new routes with the new maps?

I downgraded to version 4.6.2 based on other stuff I read.....is that gonna work?
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

shadango wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 pm Carolinarider09 --

WHen I first connected the SD card to express, it STILL said I had the Canada maps only installed....but then it allowed a full update!

What is my next step as far as connecting it to the Base camp software so I can build my new routes with the new maps?

I downgraded to version 4.6.2 based on other stuff I read.....is that gonna work?
Thanks, but it was not my work. I got it from someone else (I forget who, but I think it was on another forum), I posted it on the Goldwing forum and marked it so I could easily find it again. So, all I did was document it, but glad it worked for you.

Regarding Base Camp, I am sorry I cannot help you with that specifically. I have it loaded on my Mac but don't use it. Well, I do look at it occasionally just for fun, I don't really use it. I use Microsoft Trips and Streets and let my Zumo recaluate the route based on the waypoints. However, you might have a look at the Advrider.com website. That may be were I got the 550 map process from.

By the way, my Zumo 550 is about 10 years old (more or less) had it repaired by Palm Dr a few years ago and still use it but not on the bike. I find it a very durable unit and I am not going to let it go :)
shadango
United States of America

Post by shadango »

So in basecamp, under "maps" it says I have installed the north America 2020 maps....but the detail is missing....it says the maps are locked....and when I try and unlock them, it says "success", but then no changes to basecamps maps...

Could Garmin have made this any more complicated? LOL

I am working off the Zumo's ,and seems OK....enough to fix up my new routes ...
shadango
United States of America

Post by shadango »

carolinarider09 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:02 am
shadango wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 pm Carolinarider09 --

Thanks, but it was not my work. I got it from someone else (I forget who, but I think it was on another forum), I posted it on the Goldwing forum and marked it so I could easily find it again. So, all I did was document it, but glad it worked for you.

Regarding Base Camp, I am sorry I cannot help you with that specifically. I have it loaded on my Mac but don't use it. Well, I do look at it occasionally just for fun, I don't really use it. I use Microsoft Trips and Streets and let my Zumo recaluate the route based on the waypoints. However, you might have a look at the Advrider.com website. That may be were I got the 550 map process from.

By the way, my Zumo 550 is about 10 years old (more or less) had it repaired by Palm Dr a few years ago and still use it but not on the bike. I find it a very durable unit and I am not going to let it go :)
Yep...my Zumo is 12 and I have installed a new screen in it once.....and she is still kicking.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

4.6.2 should work fine. If the maps aren't showing the detail check you have the setting correct. I'm not at my PC at the mo but you should have a Detail button with drop down list on the tool bar, if not you can add it via the View button on the toolbar.

The map shows as locked as it will be, it just means you can't install it to someone else's device.
shadango
United States of America

Post by shadango »

sussamb wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:54 am 4.6.2 should work fine. If the maps aren't showing the detail check you have the setting correct. I'm not at my PC at the mo but you should have a Detail button with drop down list on the tool bar, if not you can add it via the View button on the toolbar.

The map shows as locked as it will be, it just means you can't install it to someone else's device.
I'll give it a look...thanks!