anything special about SD cards in Garmin Zumos?

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Seagoon
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: anything special about SD cards in Garmin Zumos?

Post by Seagoon »

I have a connected problem. Earlier today I did a hard reset to my 550 to attempt to cure a couple of problems. Then I tried to update my maps. It always used to work with my 8gb card but not this time so I tried the "cloning " technique above but my PC wouldn't recognize the card as the 550, only as the card. So I formatted again, reinstalled the card in the 550 and tried to load via Mapinstall.CN 2019 is showing in the list of maps but when I try to load it onto the card Basecamp tries to get me to select which sections of the map I want rather than load the whole lot.
In the Basecamp Library it shows that CN 2017 is somehow on the Zumo memory although I know it was on the card before I formatted it.
Is the problem with me or is it the 550?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Are you sure it's the whole 2017 map on your zumo? There is no way formatting or hard reset would move a map from card to device.

What is the free space on the card? You may find the latest map etc is now too large to fit, so may need a 16 Gb card.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Seagoon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 pm I have a connected problem. Earlier today I did a hard reset to my 550 to attempt to cure a couple of problems. Then I tried to update my maps. It always used to work with my 8gb card but not this time so I tried the "cloning " technique above but my PC wouldn't recognize the card as the 550, only as the card. So I formatted again, reinstalled the card in the 550 and tried to load via Mapinstall.CN 2019 is showing in the list of maps but when I try to load it onto the card Basecamp tries to get me to select which sections of the map I want rather than load the whole lot.
In the Basecamp Library it shows that CN 2017 is somehow on the Zumo memory although I know it was on the card before I formatted it.
Is the problem with me or is it the 550?
You sparked a thought- with my old nuvi, computer formatting was fine but for my zumo it didn't work. I bought a new card and without formatting put it in the zumo. It then asked if I wanted to format it, I said yes. Haven't had a problem since.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Seagoon
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Seagoon »

I eventually worked out that I had an old version of Basecamp with the current version of Mapinstall. I went to the recomended version of both(4.6.2 and 4.04 I think) and then had no problem downloading the latest map. I shall see how it works at the weekend but it seems good at the moment.
shadango
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by shadango »

I am having issues with getting maps sorted out and wandered across this thread....

So the newest version of basecamp has issues loading maps? I did update BC when it prompted me to do so....after not using the program for a while.

How do I revert to an older version?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Download one. Do a search for Perry Garmin utilities