How to put maps onto your PC

Adobney
Great Britain

Re: How to put maps onto your PC

Post by Adobney »

so now I have uninstalled all Garmin programs/apps from the PC.
I have deleted the img file from the zumo memory card which is now all but empty. I found and deleted two small .gma files. couldn't find any .unl file.

So I hoped that the zumo would only have the 2013.4 map on it. Once started up, I could see on the zumo that the only map available to be ticked was indeed the 2013.4 map.

I then had/have two goals. 1. Get the 2013.4. map from the zumo onto BC. 2. Get Garmin Express to recognize that the map on the zumo is the 2013.4 map.

I reinstalled Garmin Express, added my zumo as the only GPS device. what happens? the damn thing keeps saying in Map options that the map is City Navigator Europe 2018.20. Where does this come from? This map isn't on my PC anymore (as far as I know, I uninstalled it).

I installed BC. Once the ZUmo is connected to the PC, I can see under devices that the map is the 2013.4. and a message about restrictions of this map. Under Maps, Manage Map Products I arrive at Map Product Manager, Map product information tab. There I can see the global map and my 2013.4 map, both indicated as not lockable (is this normal?) with file locations. But the actual file location appears to be empty. There is also a 2nd tab called unlock regions (where it says map product not installed for 11 regions, with comments stating region unlock code from "complicated name".gma.
Do I need to do anything with this ?

When I disconnect the zumo from the PC then in BC I can only see the global map.
any suggestions where I'm going wrong? or what to do next?
cheers
Andrew
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You keep referring to the 2013 map and I'm unclear why? You need to update to the latest if you have a LM model, as you say you do. That is 2018.30 if your device accepts a NTU map, but as it's only offering you 2018.20 maybe it uses the NT map. Let Express install that to your device and your PC.

As for BaseCamp, it's behaving as I'd expect. It's showing the 2013 map when your Zumo is connected as that is the map you currently have installed on it. When you disconnect the Zumo you won't see any maps except the base map.
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:46 pm You keep referring to the 2013 map and I'm unclear why? You need to update to the latest if you have a LM model, as you say you do. That is 2018.30 if your device accepts a NTU map, but as it's only offering you 2018.20 maybe it uses the NT map. Let Express install that to your device and your PC.

As for BaseCamp, it's behaving as I'd expect. It's showing the 2013 map when your Zumo is connected as that is the map you currently have installed on it. When you disconnect the Zumo you won't see any maps except the base map.
regarding your first question. I was simply trying, as a first goal, to get the zumo to just have the 2013.4 map on it. then it should be like when it was new.
after that i was planning to update the map with Garmin express, but hoping with having removed the NT maps from everywhere that it wound update wuth an NTU type map, not the same NT again
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ok but you can't as you suggested get the 2013 map from your device into BaseCamp. Since you appear to have just that map on your Zumo the next step is as I mentioned to use Express to update the map on your device. Express will also send the same map to your PC for BaseCamp to use, see the Install options in Express when you've selected the map update.
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Interesting - when I put a check for maps for a 340 into Garmin, it comes back with NT maps - not NTU

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/115830#maps
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes, I wasn't sure which is why I kept making a comment about it, strange though. I have a 1490 and it also uses NT maps, so how Adobney is getting NTU maps I don't know :?:
Adobney
Great Britain

Post by Adobney »

sussamb wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am Yes, I wasn't sure which is why I kept making a comment about it, strange though. I have a 1490 and it also uses NT maps, so how Adobney is getting NTU maps I don't know :?:
If I look at the settings on the Zumo - My Installed Maps, then I see the following info (with a box to the left that is ticked) CN EUROPE NTU 2013.40 Western Europe trafficTrends Europe 3.75.

As far as I'm aware, this is what the zumo came with.
alan sh
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Ok - I'm stumped. Unless I can get my hands on one to try out, I am confused.

Alan
Alan
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well it wouldn't be the first time Garmin website was wrong, so given Adobney has a NTU map it should be simple enough to run Express, it will detect the map and install the up to date one, which is 2018.30
alan sh
Great Britain

Post by alan sh »

Good point.

Alan
Alan