595 routing worries

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
supfisherp
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

595 routing worries

Post by supfisherp »

My friend and I have Zumo 390 and 590's when either of us plot a route in Basecamp and send to the other, they match perfectly and life is wonderful. I really felt like things were in control. Another friend bought a 595 and his does not seem to take any notice of the route plotted and seems to make it up as it goes along! Sometimes it works for an hour or two before taking random turns and other times it is just plain wrong from the start!

There does not seem to be any logic to it. I have swapped to using the 595 to try to resolve the problems, but so far am having no luck.

There was some advice about converting waypoints to viapoints (do not alert), although this sometimes seems to help, other times it make no difference.

Any advice would be really appreciated as we are pulling out what little hair we have left!
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Re: 595 routing worries

Post by advnzer »

are the same maps on all the units...i mean identical maps!
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

What I've found is that the 595 gets really stupid really fast if anything is even slightly "off" between it and BaseCamp. Also, I'm finding the 595 appears to route differently than other models. I've attempted to use other folks' routes and it simply won't do it- each route you want to run has to be made specifically for the 595 and every single setting, no matter how insignificant it may seem, has to be exactly right and in synch in both BaseCamp and on the device. Routes that run fine on a nuvi, when put on my 595, send me into fenced pastures & require me to ford rivers where no bridges exist.

This thread -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=242 contains valuable "how to" info. Here are some things I've done in an attempt to get some usefulness from the $$$$ 595LM paper weight:

- delete ALL routes and waypoints from the device and the SD card if applicable;
- switch the device from Motorcycling to Driving. Motorcycling is off-road motorcycling too so get rid of it. I will be "driving" from now on;
- open BaseCamp, click the list of routes to be working with. The list should be in the bottom left hand box;
- double click the first route, a "modification" box opens. Arrange your view so you can see the entire route on the map with the whole box too. Change the Activity in the box from Motorcycling to Driving. The route may change, you may need to go back in and add some shaping points to get it back.
- click the recalculate button. Again, the route may change, put it back if needed.

Now, when transferring the route from BaseCamp to my device, I choose to NOT use the Device/Send to button. I drag and drop the route to USER DATA. That's the SD card. Import the route on the device as usual. This way the route is never stored in "permanent" device internal memory and is much easier to delete later.

I've gone through and done all my routes this way, even the ones I don't plan on using ever again. I'm hoping some of the problems I had with routing will go away since driving doesn't include off-road and now everything activity-wise in BaseCamp on my laptop and the settings on my device match. I had several routes that changed when I switched from motorcycling to driving and a couple that changed when I recalculated. In hindsight, the ones that changed were the dirt road ones where some paved roads weren't too far away. As mentioned, I just inserted a few shaping points to get my desired route back.

Don't forget to change your basic BaseCamp Activity to driving too. Go to EDIT/OPTIONS. You can set all kinds of stuff there.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
supfisherp
Great Britain

Post by supfisherp »

advnzer wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:07 am are the same maps on all the units...i mean identical maps!
Yes they are all on 2019.2, we have been having the problem since last September so have tried various maps.
supfisherp
Great Britain

Post by supfisherp »

rbentnail wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 am What I've found is that the 595 gets really stupid really fast if anything is even slightly "off" between it and BaseCamp. Also, I'm finding the 595 appears to route differently than other models. I've attempted to use other folks' routes and it simply won't do it- each route you want to run has to be made specifically for the 595 and every single setting, no matter how insignificant it may seem, has to be exactly right and in synch in both BaseCamp and on the device. Routes that run fine on a nuvi, when put on my 595, send me into fenced pastures & require me to ford rivers where no bridges exist.

This thread -> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=242 contains valuable "how to" info. Here are some things I've done in an attempt to get some usefulness from the $$$$ 595LM paper weight:

- delete ALL routes and waypoints from the device and the SD card if applicable;
- switch the device from Motorcycling to Driving. Motorcycling is off-road motorcycling too so get rid of it. I will be "driving" from now on;
- open BaseCamp, click the list of routes to be working with. The list should be in the bottom left hand box;
- double click the first route, a "modification" box opens. Arrange your view so you can see the entire route on the map with the whole box too. Change the Activity in the box from Motorcycling to Driving. The route may change, you may need to go back in and add some shaping points to get it back.
- click the recalculate button. Again, the route may change, put it back if needed.

Now, when transferring the route from BaseCamp to my device, I choose to NOT use the Device/Send to button. I drag and drop the route to USER DATA. That's the SD card. Import the route on the device as usual. This way the route is never stored in "permanent" device internal memory and is much easier to delete later.

I've gone through and done all my routes this way, even the ones I don't plan on using ever again. I'm hoping some of the problems I had with routing will go away since driving doesn't include off-road and now everything activity-wise in BaseCamp on my laptop and the settings on my device match. I had several routes that changed when I switched from motorcycling to driving and a couple that changed when I recalculated. In hindsight, the ones that changed were the dirt road ones where some paved roads weren't too far away. As mentioned, I just inserted a few shaping points to get my desired route back.

Don't forget to change your basic BaseCamp Activity to driving too. Go to EDIT/OPTIONS. You can set all kinds of stuff there.
Some great information here, thanks so much! I will give it a go and let you know.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

supfisherp wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:22 pm Some great information here, thanks so much! I will give it a go and let you know.
Follow-up.

After doing all this stuff I finally had a chance to put the 595 to the test on unfamiliar roads. Performed flawlessly and sensibly:

- asking about skipping a point- perfect.
- recalculating route when I decided to go a different way- perfect.
- recalculating for a detour around road construction- perfect.

It's still early in my testing phases but the things above seem to have improved 595 usefulness & functionality.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A