Waypoints, or Shaping points?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
pidjones
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Waypoints, or Shaping points?

Post by pidjones »

To have the best chance of a route laid out in Basecamp stay without taking other roads on the 396, is it best to use waypoints to anchor the route, or shaping points. I want to lay out a route to follow from Knoxville, TN to the enf of US 70 in Arizona, following Hwy 70 the whole way. I plan to divide it state-by-state to reduce it to casual riding day-size chunks (well, Tennessee will take two days). My past experience has been with Mapsource and a Streetpilot 2730, which were well-behaved for the most part. Of course, this was only using waypoints.
advnzer
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Re: Waypoints, or Shaping points?

Post by advnzer »

afaik a shaping point is only a non announced waypoint.When you place that point its actually a way point but if you right click it you can turn alerts off.It might actually be called a via point rather than waypoint
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

The advantage of shaping points is that you can have many more of them, and you can skip them more easily. Viapoints you HAVE to go through unless you take some action so I only use them for places I must stop at, eg fuel or food stops. The rest I set as shaping points.
Toronto Paul
Has liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by Toronto Paul »

Sorry to hijack this thread but "shaping points"? Where are they found?

I have a 595 with Basecamp v4.7.0. When I'm mapping a route I only see waypoints as an option.

Thanks in advance,
1998 BMW R1200C - Zumo XT
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

To turn a viapoint into a shaping point right click the point and select Do not alert on arrival. You can also do it in your device. Open the route in trip planner, tap the Flag icon of the point you want to change and you get the option to change to shaping point, and vice versa tap to change back to viapoint.
Steve W
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Canada

Post by Steve W »

Waypoints are points that you create and name within the app. Right click on a POI or location on the map to bring up the context menu. Via points are created when you use the route edit tool (rubber band) to relocate a route to your needs. The point that's created is, for now, a "via point" that will be announced during your use of the route. These can be changed in the route properties window to "shaping points" that will not be announced. There are also "route points" that comprise the bread crumb line drawn by the app. These names have changed over the years which adds to the confusion.

My advise is to only use waypoints for the start and end of a route, and maybe must stops such as hotels along the way. Missing a waypoint during navigation is instant immersion in routing hell with some GPS units.
pidjones
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by pidjones »

And I learned that if you are starting from your initial waypoint, you must tell a 396 that it is the first place to go, not the final waypoint. Otherwise, the 396 will recalculate the entire route to the final waypoint using whatever whim it comes up with, even ignoring your avoidances.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well it should route according to the settings on your zumo, and take account therefore of any avoidance.
Dusty ST
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 10 times
Great Britain

Post by Dusty ST »

sussamb wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:47 pm Well it should route according to the settings on your zumo, and take account therefore of any avoidance.
My Zumo is set to avoid toll roads and not recalculate off route, however it decided to do both a couple of weeks ago in France...
I hope they don't have cameras to catch U turners in front of peage barriers!