Motorcycle mount cradle failing

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
Harald
Has liked: 1 time
United States of America

Motorcycle mount cradle failing

Post by Harald »

My 10 year old mount cradle is flaking out on the motorcycle. It constantly pops up an error message "The USB cable is plugged into the wrong port". Everything still works fine, but the error message pops up at the most inopportune times (like when I want to see the upcoming turn). The Zumo 660 works fine when it's in the car mount and only has this error in the motorcycle mount. I should note that I average 1000 miles per month and ride in a lot of rain here in the Seattle area, so it's not a electronics friendly environment.

I highly suspect that some contamination has gotten inside the cradle connector and is intermittently shorting a couple pins together. I've tried spraying electrical contact cleaner on the pins while depressing them to try and get things flushed out. This was followed with high pressure air to try and blow out contamination and dry it. No help. I might try this again.

Next step will be to access the stored USB port that's part of the wire bundle. I had tied it up under the tank/seat area with a bag over it to stop debris from getting inside, but perhaps it's contaminated. I'll clean it up and perhaps even cut it off and cap each wire individually to eliminate any shorting possibility. I don't see any need for this port anyway.

Next on the list will be removing the whole assembly and sticking it in an ultrasonic cleaner to try and get that connector cleaned up.

Replacement p/n 010-11270-03 cradles are no longer available from Garmin and ones on the secondary market are priced rather high.

Anybody else have this problem and find a cure?
kernowing
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 55 times
Great Britain

Re: Motorcycle mount cradle failing

Post by kernowing »

The 660 mount is available on the UK ebay site--new or second hand.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_saca ... unt&_frs=1
2007 GL1800 Goldwing
2018 Triumph Speedmaster 1200 (now sold)
Zumo 660LM
Harald
United States of America

Post by Harald »

kernowing wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:06 pm The 660 mount is available on the UK ebay site--new or second hand.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_saca ... unt&_frs=1
There's some on the US Ebay site also, but all are 2 to 4 times as expensive as they used to be. Supply and demand, I guess. Surprisingly I can save a few dollars buying from England over the US, even with shipping costs.

I may have to resort to this if I can't fix my current cradle. Or I may relegate the 660 to automotive use (where I have a fully functional cradle already) and buy a new one for bike use.
Wingstyle
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

Next step will be to access the stored USB port that's part of the wire bundle. I had tied it up under the tank/seat area with a bag over it to stop debris from getting inside, but perhaps it's contaminated. I'll clean it up and perhaps even cut it off and cap each wire individually to eliminate any shorting possibility. I don't see any need for this port anyway.
This may do the trick for you. If I remember correctly from posts on the other site, there was an issue of the mini-USB dongle getting moisture in it and causing an error message as you indicate. I believe the mini-USB dongle is for the external traffic receiver.

Once you get the issue resolved, please let us know what fixed it. Good luck.
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Not all contact cleaners are equally effective. Some in fact can damage the circuit boards if it gets inside. The very best one I have found, recommended to me by my son, who uses it daily in his NY recording studio, is Deoxit. I use both the cleaner and the protective spray. Not cheap, but you only use small amounts and it works very well.

On my bike it has "revived" malfunctioning radar detectors, GPSes and bluetooth comms gear.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
dave726
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by dave726 »

Wingstyle wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:04 pm This may do the trick for you. If I remember correctly from posts on the other site, there was an issue of the mini-USB dongle getting moisture in it and causing an error message as you indicate. I believe the mini-USB dongle is for the external traffic receiver.

That same error happened with my Z665 mc cradle years ago. Rain got into the XM radio/traffic receiver port. Back then, WD-40 was the recommended contact cleaner. I sprayed a liberal amount of that into the connector and by morning everything was normal. Once resolved, consider using the Pipe wrap/electrical style tape that bonds to itself when you wrap it with slight tension. It's possibly more waterproof than a baggie.
joebedford
Canada

Post by joebedford »

I fixed that problem on my 660 by cleaning the contacts on the GPS and the pins on the mount. I didn't do anything to the USB port.
axil
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by axil »

Wingstyle wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:04 pm
This may do the trick for you. If I remember correctly from posts on the other site, there was an issue of the mini-USB dongle getting moisture in it and causing an error message as you indicate. I believe the mini-USB dongle is for the external traffic receiver.

I have had this happen when moisture has gotten into the USB connector on the cable. The last time it happened, the electrical tape I had wrapped over the connector had came loose. Rewrapping with new tape made the problem go away.
farp
Canada

Post by farp »

I solved this problem by applying a small drop of oil (I used 50 wt) to each of the contact pins and then depressing the pin several times to make sure the oil coated the sliding surfaces. When the pins were not oiled they would depress into the housing and get stuck there which broke the contact. I could not ride more than an hour or two before this would happen. After applying the oil I've had several long rides of 8 to 10 hours and have never had a problem with losing power to the Zumo.