Zumo 665 Map Update Issue

For everything Garmin Zumo 660/665 related
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Zumo 665 Map Update Issue

Post by carolinarider09 »

I have a Zumo 665LM. I had some issues when I loaded 2019.10 maps and then got the issue fixed, I think, with 2019.20.

Just tried to load 2019.30 using Garmin Express and it would only let me load the 49 states, could not load US and Canada maps. Could load Canada and the US border states.

I also have a 660LM with I had no issues loading the US and Canada maps.

I have a 16 GB Micro SD card. I thought it might be the problem so I changed it out with a spare 8 GB card. Still could only select the Lower 49 states.

Fully formatted the 16 GB card earning all files and tried again.

It appears that the maps will only load on the device and not the SD Card. I thought you could load maps on the SD card with Garmin Express but that may not be the case.

Tried using Garmin Mapinstall and while it seemed to load onto the SD Card, it always errored out at the last part of the process.

Does anyone have an thoughts/ideas about what I am doing wrong or what the issue might be.

I am using a Mac to do the map installs.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo 665 Map Update Issue

Post by sussamb »

There are a number of devices that Express won't install to a sd card. Your 660 is one of them. You need to install to your PC then use BaseCamp etc to install the map to the card.
Wingstyle
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Wingstyle »

sussamb, I believe the OP is having problems with a 665. His 660 seems to have worked.
I also have a 660LM with I had no issues loading the US and Canada maps.
I have a 660 and have loaded the last several maps with Garmin Express onto my microSC card. I just check my version with Garmin Express and I am at 2019.30. When I checked Garmin Express prompted it had an update, so I updated to version 6.11.1.0. I thought I had just updated Garmin Express not too long ago. I guess I'll see if it still works at the next map update.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

My error I'm busy providing safety for the Spine Race at the mo, maybe it's the 665 that has the issue then as unable to check the Express FAQS from here.
mwroma
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by mwroma »

The 665 is one that wont install updates to device and sd card at same time, you have to install what fits on device at time of update and then use mapinstall to put remaining on sd card. I was disappointed when I ran into this as the 660 will do it all automatic and was cheaper than the 665.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=W ... =noProduct
carolinarider09
United States of America

mwroma wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:01 pm The 665 is one that wont install updates to device and sd card at same time, you have to install what fits on device at time of update and then use mapinstall to put remaining on sd card. I was disappointed when I ran into this as the 660 will do it all automatic and was cheaper than the 665.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=W ... =noProduct
Thanks that is very interesting information. This is the first time I have had an issue with the 665 about map size. I have traveled to Canada several times using the 665 and, in further past, my old 550 and always had the necessary maps. So, when I could not install the same maps on my 665 on this new map release, I was surprised.

I looked at the link provided and understand, I think, how it might work. So, I will undertake this process and see how it works out. It will be interesting.

As an aside, I have not looked to see what the map size is (memory needed) for the new maps. It would be interesting to see what the size was and the memory available the 660 vs 665.

I still have the 550 as well and trick Garmin express into doing the install on the SD Card. It has a worked several times. I have seen a YouTube video on doing that with a device other than a 550.

Thanks again for the information.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Just completed my map installation for my Zumo 665 as described in the link in mwroma's post.

It loaded and I verified that Canada road detail was now available (major roads were there before but not other roads and streets). So it worked.

What the Map info says is

CN North America NT 2019.30 Basic 3D

CN North America NT 2019.30
(1) Labrador - Newfoundland, Pemberton, British Columbia
(2) Lower 49 States

Thanks again. Maybe we should find some way to bookmark this on the forum so its obvious to all.