Basecamp Rant - Using Search

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for MAC then please post in this section.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 36 times
United States of America

Basecamp Rant - Using Search

Post by carolinarider09 »

I know for a fact that a Best Western exists in Dillsboro, NC. It's the Best Western River Escape. When I did a search for this hotel, it brings back a "Yelp" result but will not let me see the location on the map so I can add it to my route. Yes there are icons on the Yelp thingy but they don't work

And why is Yelp being used. I did give a rat's behind about what Yelp says.

Rant over.

Attachments
Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 2.02.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 2.02.01 PM.png (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1107 times
Last edited by carolinarider09 on Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 323 times
United States of America

Re: Basecamp Rant - Using Search

Post by Peobody »

The search function in Basecamp is indeed wonky, but the reason you can't find that Best Western is that it is not in the map data. Set the map detail to highest and then zoom in on the location where that Best Western should be and it is not there, nor does it show up in a general 'lodging' search of the Dillsboro area. Neither does the Dillsboro Inn.

I have encountered this before and have dealt with it in two ways. One was to use the Basecamp waypoint tool to place a waypoint and then edit it with the appropriate icon and information. That other was to use the waypoint tool to place a waypoint in its vicinity and then copy the coordinates from Google Maps and paste them into that waypoint, adding any additional data that I want, sourced from Google Maps.

Edit: Disappointing fact: the Best Western in Maggie Valley is not in Basecamp either.
Edit2: I'm using the CN NA NT 2025.1 map on Basecamp for PC.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
carolinarider09
United States of America

Thanks for the feedback. I did just make it a waypoint on the road I know it is located on.

OH well.. Just one more issue.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 125 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Using CNNA NT 2024.1, Search cannot find the street but will show it, if you know where to look.
Using CNNA NT 2025.1, Search fill find the street and address, but not the Best Western.
Using OpenStreet U.S. 2024-05-18, Search finds the Best Western Plus River Escape Inn & Suites.

Searching more generally for "Lodging", CNNA NT 2025.1 provides fourteen choices within three miles of Dillsboro, the Open Street Map finds nine.

Win some, lose some.

Yelp! results can be excluded with a click on the icon.
Yelp.jpg
Yelp.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
====================================

Hmmm... :?: I just discovered that Yelp is producing NO results in my BC, for any search, anywhere. I don't often use the BC search function, and don't place much value on Yelp reviews, so this is no great loss.

Still, it is curious.
====================================

Though activating two routable maps at once is generally a bad idea, I find that a single search with Where To? on the XT will show results from both maps.
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 217 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

IMHO using Garmin-anything to search is nothing but frustrating. Base Camp, gps, whatever- about the only times I find it useful is to find fuel and even then it's wrong 25% of the time. Google it, you're better off.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 323 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:23 pm Hmmm... I just discovered that Yelp is producing NO results in my BC, for any search, anywhere. I don't often use the BC search function, and don't place much value on Yelp reviews, so this is no great loss.

Still, it is curious.
Mine isn't either. I know that I would have turned it off had I found a way to but I can't find any such option now. Like you, I am grateful that it is not working, but am curious as to why. PC vs. Mac version???
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 125 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Peobody wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:20 pm Mine isn't either. I know that I would have turned it off had I found a way to but I can't find any such option now. Like you, I am grateful that it is not working, but am curious as to why. PC vs. Mac version???
PC here.
United States of America

Another RANT!!!!

Wonder who the "person" was that designed this system. I put the following in the search "box" (top right of screen); danville, tn

Then pressed the return key. The first hit on the last that follows is "Danville, GA".

That is just dumb, dumb. Who was the 'person" who designed and signed off on that response.

Did the same thing on my Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013 and it brings back Danville, Houston, Tennessee, United States. Which is spot on.

And that program is over 10 years old.