Change Map Name in Installed Map List?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FarRaider
Been liked: 1 time
Italy

Change Map Name in Installed Map List?

Post by FarRaider »

I dug my XT out and decided I wanted to add some OSM maps. I CANNOT for the life of me get the XT to be seen by the PC but that is another issue and I have a call into Garmin for this.

As a workaround, I have been unzipping the downloads, placing the .gmap folder in my Garmin Map folder on the PC, going to BaseCamp and then using Map Install to install the map to the SD card. I then rename the map in the SD Garmin map folder from gmapsupp.img to the country name. I then drop the SD into the Zumo XT and on start up it displays that it is adding the map and displays it. Functionally, so far so good.

However when I go into the "Installed Maps" folder in the XT to check or uncheck maps I want displayed I see that the map names are a mess.
Most of them at least have the country abbreviation in the confusing name somewhere to make it identifiable, but my France map, I am sure it is my France map, displays as with a Spanish abbreviation "ES". The name is "22.03 ES - Zaragoza (62500001), 22.03 ES Bilbao (625".
I do not have Spain loaded.

My question is: How do I change the names of the maps installed in the Garmin?

I do not see that map name displayed on the XT in my files or in BC and it does not seem possible to change the name within the limited menus in the XT.

Any advice?
lkraus
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 121 times
United States of America

Re: Change Map Name in Installed Map List?

Post by lkraus »

One option, IF the maps do not overlap, is to just make all the OSM maps active. That is a big IF, because if they do overlap, the XT will produce some strange results.

There might be another solution to this problem, but I use JaVaWa IMGName to change the name of the map set.

On the XT recognition issue, it typically takes a full minute or two for my PC to detect the XT connection to my USB 3.0 ports. Even then, large file transfers (gigabytes, as in map updates and music refreshes) sometimes don't complete properly. I've found that going through a USB hub works reliably.

Even with the connection issue fixed, you will probably want to edit the map names with the SD card in the computer. Since the XT is not a mass storage device it will not be assigned a drive letter, which the JaVaWa utilities need to load the files. Moving the SD card to the PC will be quicker than copying the .img files to the PC, changing names, copying back to the XT, etc.
Italy

Post by FarRaider »

lkraus wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:30 pm Even with the connection issue fixed, you will probably want to edit the map names with the SD card in the computer. Since the XT is not a mass storage device it will not be assigned a drive letter, which the JaVaWa utilities need to load the files. Moving the SD card to the PC will be quicker than copying the .img files to the PC, changing names, copying back to the XT, etc.
Thanks for the reply Ikraus. I can change the name of the .img files very easily on the SD but it seems that name has nothing to do with the map name on the XT, when you go in to select the maps to be active. That's the name I am trying to change and I have no idea where that file name originates.
lkraus
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

That's correct, the filename on the SDcard is unrelated to the name displayed in Basecamp or the name displayed on the XT in MyMaps.

As an a example, I downloaded an OSM map for the Caribbean (because it was fairly small) and installed it in Basecamp, then used MapInstall to load it on my XT. I copied it back to my PC Desktop for editing in JaVaWa IMGname (for more or larger maps, just move the SDcard to the PC.)
2024_05_25_14_04_43_Garmin_map_updates_for_Caribbean_OpenMapChest.jpg
2024_05_25_14_04_43_Garmin_map_updates_for_Caribbean_OpenMapChest.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 228 times
The blue top line shows the file name on my desktop and the SDcard.

"Map set name" is the useless name MapInstall made up from locations on the map and which is displayed in MyMaps on the XT. That's the name you want to change, then Save changes.
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 360 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You can change the names using JaVaWa's Device Manager https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html
lkraus
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I knew somebody would have a better solution!

JaVaWa Device Manager has a nice feature that shows you the area covered by a map. This really helps when creating a meaningful name for the map set.

Device Manager still requires the device to have a mass storage mode, which the XT lacks. To change the map names, they will have to be on the SD card and you still need to put the SD card in your PC so that Device Manager can find it.
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

FYI, My XT takes arounf 1 minute to be seen by my PC
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

JohnnyRidesAlone wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:58 pm FYI, My XT takes arounf 1 minute to be seen by my PC
My connection time is very inconsistent, sometime taking under a minute and sometimes taking several minutes. If it hasn't connected after around 4 minutes I unplug it, do a shutdown/restart cycle of the XT, and then try again.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FarRaider
Italy

Post by FarRaider »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I hopefully will get some time today to try the suggestions.
FarRaider
Italy

Post by FarRaider »

sussamb wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:50 am You can change the names using JaVaWa's Device Manager https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html
Thank you! Perfectly simple to do. Now I need to explore the other capabilities of the device manager.