File names on SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Controlu
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

File names on SD card

Post by Controlu »

When sending a route from BC to my 396 SD card the file names disappear and are replaced (I think) with some unknown numbering system. What am I doing wrong?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: File names on SD card

Post by sussamb »

Sorry but I'm not clear what the issue is. Are you saying it's different behaviour compared to sending it to your device?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

How are you "sending a route from BC to my 396 SD card"?
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Controlu
United States of America

Post by Controlu »

I create a route I'll call Smokin' Joes. When complete I drag and drop that route to Memory Card>User Data. It loads, I get the green line that indicates the transfer is complete. However, using windows and looking at Zumo 396>Memory Card>Garmin>GPX all I see is Waypoints0.gpx and Waypoints1.gpx etc. If I need to use one of these as a backup, how do I find Smokin' Joes?
In fact, I upload my routes in this manner to both the card and to internal storage. I then get the message when starting the 396 if I want to import the route or nor. When I say yes, is that route imported from internal storage or the card? Who's to know?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

First, not sure why you are sending them to the card anyway but certainly no point sending them to both. Don't worry about what they're called when you look at them in Windows, what happens when you look at them on your device?
Controlu
United States of America

Post by Controlu »

I was informed, on this or another forum, it would be a good idea to to put them on the card also as a backup in case needed. Sounded good to me.
As for looking at them on the 396, I'm not given the option or I don't know how to do that. I'm asked if I want to import the new file, I say yes and it's there. I have no idea how to access the card.
Controlu
United States of America

Post by Controlu »

P.S. If don't send them to the card, then what is the card for?
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Well most use a card for maps or music, large files. Routes take up very little space. So you've imported the route, what do you then see in Trip Planner?
Controlu
United States of America

Post by Controlu »

So, My Zumo 396LMT-S starts and I get a screen that is "Where To"? or "View Map". I tap "Where To" and get a screen that includes "Trip Planner". I then get a screen that says "Trip Planner - Enjoy the ride again" with the options of "Saved Trips" or "New Trip". For new trip I need to enter a start and end location. For "Saved Trips" I get a screen that lists the routes that I have downloaded from base camp. Nowhere am I given the option of accessing the SD Card.
If I tap "Saved Trips" and then go to "Tools" I see an option to Import. After taping that I see a route listed that is NOT in the "Saved "Trips" list. Would that be coming from the SD Card? Perhaps, but there is no way to tell.
I'm going to load some MP3's onto the card and see if I can find them.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb is not a fan of using the sd card for route storage, it's well known. I OTOH am. I never put the routes I've created in internal memory but instead use the drag and drop method as described. Mine is a 595 but I see exactly as you are describing in terms of file names on my sd card if I search it using a laptop with the card inserted in the computer. In order to be able to see the route names my card must be inserted in the gps device AND the device must be plugged into the proper usb port, and then I see again what you are seeing when using File Explorer, My PC, etc. In order to be able to see the route names on the computer, I have to be using an app. I use Base Camp.

As far as importing from the card, my device does this automatically, showing the route name I gave it, by using Where To (or Apps)/Trip Planner/Wrench Icon top left/Import.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A