Unorthodox & Temporary Installation

Wondering how to mount your Garmin Zumo? feel free to ask in here or even show off your mounting method.
m185945
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Unorthodox & Temporary Installation

Post by m185945 »

My intent is to keep my zumo 590LM powered up during all times that the motorcycle ignition switch is on.

The reasons for asking the following question is because:
• my zumo 590LM battery is so old that the charge only lasts about one hour
• I cannot afford a battery replacement
• I will be riding about 8 hours per day

The following discussion excludes Garmin part number: 010-12110-00 because the motorcycle I will be riding will be a rental/hire. In other words, I am proposing a temporary solution and I cannot afford the 010-12110-00. I already have 010-12110-00 on my bike, but do not want to remove it for a temporary transfer to a rental/hire bike.

Proposed Configuration in detail:

• Hella power receptacle (female) on motorcycle
• Hella power plug (male) inserted into above
• Cable from above to inside of tank bag
• End of above cable includes standard cigarette lighter receptacle (female)
• Standard cigarette lighter plug (male) inserted into above
• Cable from above routed outside of tank bag to zumo 590 on a RAM mount (not 010-12110-00)
• End of above cable is USB Micro and will be connected to the USB Micro port on the zumo 590LM (it is understood this connection will make the 590 vulnerable to water).

Will the above cabling configuration keep the zumo 590LM powered on at all times the motorcycle ignition is on?

Besides exposing the zumo 590LM to water do you see any adverse consequences for the above cabling configuration?

I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Novice using the zumo XT.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: Unorthodox & Temporary Installation

Post by Stu »

590 charge issues viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2 :)
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Stu gives a good improvement but it's not a day-long solution.

I think that configuration will work fine particularly b/c the cigareete socket is (as you describe) inside the tank bag. I'd change one minor thing tho- instead of a cigarette lighter socket to usb cable I'd use a 2 usb adapter in the socket and use standard usb cables. Small velcro straps are your friend for such things so longer cables can be used (reasoning follows). Then I could keep my phone charged inside the tank bag as well, charge my mp3 at stops, etc. Plus, with a simple 2 usb port wall outlet, the same cables could be used in a motel room as well, hence the need for longer-ish cables.

Look for something like this, pay attention to your usb power needs of your devices.
usb adapter.JPG
usb adapter.JPG (25.38 KiB) Viewed 14780 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

You can indeed use USB to power the Zumo, but the USB connector is quite fragile, so if you choose this way maybe use an angled connector to remove some of the strain from the Zumo USB connector (like this one: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12110-02)

My Zumo came with an automotive mount beside the motor mount, if you the automotive mount than using that might be a beter option then using USB.
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

are you sure the rental motorcycle has no provision for a gps?I would think that most hire bikes would have gps for hire too and are therefore gps ready???Or at least set up for powering some device?
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

mzeist wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:08 pm You can indeed use USB to power the Zumo, but the USB connector is quite fragile, so if you choose this way maybe use an angled connector to remove some of the strain from the Zumo USB connector (like this one: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12110-02)

My Zumo came with an automotive mount beside the motor mount, if you the automotive mount than using that might be a beter option then using USB.
Yeah, mine came with an automotive mount too but I surely would not use it on a bike. It's just a snap-in ball setup, very cheap. The cable linked looks like the one that comes with the new unit also, for use in the auto.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:11 pm Yeah, mine came with an automotive mount too but I surely would not use it on a bike. It's just a snap-in ball setup, very cheap.
yes you're right, the auto mount is not very sturdy. I misread your post, thought you would put and use the Zumo in the tank bag somehow.
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT