Garmin support for Zumo XT2

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
MotoTomCC
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Garmin support for Zumo XT2

Post by MotoTomCC »

Like so many others, I've had incredible headaches with my Zumo XT2. I belong to a motorcycle club in the DC area and ride leaders for upcoming rides will share gpx files of the routes in advance. Frequently, but not always, when I'm on a ride with others using the same gpx file, my route will deviate substantially from the route that the other riders are following. The main (sole?) difference is that I have an XT2 and am using Tread to download gpx files to it, whereas the other riders have an XT or a BMW Navigator unit and are typically using BaseCamp and/or Rever.

The latest version of the Tread app (2.08.29) appears to be a real improvement for route planning, but it's not clear to me that it's any better at importing gpx files - I still often get routes that differ from those of my partner riders. Actually, it might be better if the gpx files I imported were always wrong, then I'd know not to trust the XT2. But, as it is, they're sometimes correct and I start to feel XT2 & Tread are trustworthy, only to have them cross me up again at a later date. It's like an intermittent electrical problem - the worst kind of a problem there is to fix.

Also, I have tried to do the responsible thing, that is, to notify Garmin of the problems I've been experiencing and to make responsible recommendations about XT2 problems and how they might be improved. But, Garmin does NOT make it easy to leave such comments. Today, I went to Garmin's Support website, which requires you to either enter the name or serial # of your device. Neither the Zumo XT, nor the XT2, are listed as device options - you have to enter your serial #. Elsewhere, I wanted to leave a comment about a map problem but, again, you have to specify your device and Garmin's system would not accept "Zumo XT2".

Garmin says it's listening to us, but the recent hefty discounts on Zumo XT's and XT2's and the omission of them from Garmin's models list makes me wonder if Garmin is looking to leave the motorcycle GPS market.
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 27 times
Canada

Re: Garmin support for Zumo XT2

Post by technoguppy »

@MotoTomCC Seems you have some reading to catch up on.

Here's my suggested readings to get you caught up!
viewtopic.php?t=2750
viewtopic.php?t=2442
viewtopic.php?t=2804

FYI - I still have not (and probably will not) use the Tread App for syncing routes to the unit. Seems it is fraught with issues, recalculations, deviations, or other changes that are done in the background without the users knowledge or permission.

Files from BaseCamp when loaded to the XT2 (without syncing to Tread) work without issue (for me). This is the method I highly recommend until Garmin truly fixes all the issues.

My two cents...
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
gwilki
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times
Canada

Post by gwilki »

@MotoTomCC FWIW, here is the link that Garmin tech told me to use to report these issues

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/
Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON Canada
Sean OZ
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 5 times
Australia

Post by Sean OZ »

The TREAD app is dead in the water for me! I've completely deleted it from my iPhone.
As others have said, the only reliable way to import routes is directly from base camp.

I'm very disappointed that Garmin, after making such a big announcement telling all of us XT2 owners how wonderful the tread app was going to be, only to find out it's as bloody useless, as tits on a bull! :(
Sean OZ
Australia

Post by Sean OZ »

The Garmin Australian support website is still providing a dropdown list, which shows the XT2 model and is providing support. No need to enter in any serial number.
MotoTomCC
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by MotoTomCC »

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have read many of the posts about the XT2 and Tread, but a common aspect of them is that the posters are already proficient with Basecamp. I'm not. I don't have prior experience with Basecamp and I've heard from others that it's clunky and has a long & steep learning curve. Given that Garmin says the XT2 is not intended for use with Basecamp, I'm hesitant to invest the time and energy in learning Basecamp (I've already spent tens of hours trying to learn XT2 and Tread).
Is Rever a decent alternative to Basecamp for route generation?
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 27 times
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

@MotoTomCC I think you are bypassing an opportunity here.

BaseCamp (while not the most intuitive software on the planet) is not overly cumbersome.

Once your XT2 connects, it gives a warning which you dismiss as the next step, then it all works great.

BaseCamp is the champ when it comes to creating and transferring routes to the XT2. I would not in any circumstance rely on Tread to do it correctly or to yield the results you are seeking.

I (highly) recommend you download it (it's free), play around with it, there are some tips & tricks to be learned for sure but it is not a steep learning curve by any means. I think once you have the basics (adding a waypoint, creating a route, setting your profiles which need to match your devices, and transferring and importing them into the XT2, you'll find it much more reliable than Tread will ever be.

My two cents (based on many years screwing around with this stuff). Here is a link to an 9min video that should help you get started or at least point you in the right direction (pun intended).

Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
Sean OZ
Australia

Post by Sean OZ »

I use GAIA GPX website to first create the route. I find it a lot more intuitive to use than Base Camp.
I then export the route from GAIA GPX into BASECAMP and finally send from Basecamp to the Zumo XT2.

Haven't had the opportunity to test it out on a long ride but I have tested it making complex routes around town. Worked flawlessly for me. NO TREAD app involved at all!

PS @technoguppy The "Triumph Rocket 3 GT" of yours, looks like a beast of a bike. 2,458cc
Holy Cow, that's 2,000cc more than my much-loved Honda CB500X :lol:

I learnt how to do it from watching this series of videos.