Trip Planner Routes

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 284 times
Been liked: 621 times
Great Britain

Re: Trip Planner Routes

Post by jfheath »

I don't know if the original post (by @burtsr was referring to Basecamp's Trip Planner App, or whether he was just importing gpx files into the Trip Planner app on the XT. We have covered that issue, but I think that you are using the Basecamp Trip Planner App - as you said @Peobody ?

For anyone else looking in, the screen shots below show how what Basecamp's Trip Planner App looks like. It is a tool to help you to plan and organise multi-day trips and generate separate routes for each day. I am no expert on this. I have only dabbled to discover whether or not I wanted to use it.

On the left the Trip Planner App itself. On the right, how the various days show up in the BC. folder/list structure.
TripPlanner.png
TripPlanner.png (112.57 KiB) Viewed 215 times
This is not a method that I use - I have tried a few times, but it always throws up more problems than I was prepared to deal with. But I haven't given it a good workout - so my opinion on that is not really worth much. It is handy that you can plan your stops and it encourages you to select points of interest from its database - all of which are true saved waypoints - and which will appear in the Favourites / Saved list in the Zumo.

All of the the routes that from part of the trip are given a time, but when I look in the gpx files, there is a difference.

This is from the gpx of the route prodcued by trip planner.
<trp:ViaPoint>
<trp:CalculationMode>FasterTime</trp:CalculationMode>
<trp:ElevationMode>Standard</trp:ElevationMode>
</trp:ViaPoint>
This is from another route where I have set the departure time.
<trp:ViaPoint>
<trp:DepartureTime>2024-04-19T11:34:56Z</trp:DepartureTime>
<trp:CalculationMode>FasterTime</trp:CalculationMode>
<trp:ElevationMode>Standard</trp:ElevationMode>
</trp:ViaPoint>
Although there is a date and time listed in the trip, the departure date and time is not set in the gpx file.

You can set it in the Trip Planner App. If you right click on the first waypoint/POI in the entry for a day (eg Skipon), click Advanced in the pop-up menu - it opens up the dialogue box that you will be familiar with:
Set Date.png
Set Date.png (19.86 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Double click the first point and it will allow you to set the departure date and time.
(Yes I know - trip planner should do this, but it doesn't - my screen show is taken AFTER I set the date and time).
If you change the time, that time is reflected in the Trip Planner App. If you change the date, it isn't replicated in the App but the correct information is created in the <DepartureTime> tag in the gpx file for the routes.

In theory, that should work - but I haven't yet set up my demos to show what happens with each of the Zumos.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
communicator
Been liked: 6 times
France

Post by communicator »

you can artificially sort the road books in order in BaseCamp.
You can also sort by half-day J01-01 Morning, J01-02 Afternoon, J02-01 Morning, etc...
Here's a sorted example (day by day) of my road book for Namibia in May 2024:

On s'en fout de connaitre la vérité, l'essentiel c'est d'avoir raison (Me Eric Dupond-Moretti)
It doesn't matter what the truth is, the important thing is to be right (French Lawyer Eric Dupond-Moretti

Fun is not a straight line !!!!
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 284 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:56 am I don't know if the original post (by @burtsr was referring to Basecamp's Trip Planner App, or whether he was just importing gpx files into the Trip Planner app on the XT. We have covered that issue, but I think that you are using the Basecamp Trip Planner App - as you said @Peobody ?
I had not thought about Trip Planner in Basecamp. All of my comments pertained to sort behaviour in Trip Planner on the XT. I wish it was as easy to control sort order in Trip Planner XT as it is in Trip Planner BC (everywhere in BC for that matter).
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok. So that isn't the issue then ! Not to worry, that is an excellent answer should anyone ask the right question.

Back to the square one. I'll see if I can reproduce the issue. I have tested this before and what I tried produced what I expected. But that might have been the problem ....

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

IMO, the tests should be

1. Numerous routes that have a departure date, each one day after the other. No other routes on the XT. Their sort order in the XT Trip Planner app should be by departure date.
2. Add some old routes to the XT. These should be ones created in BC awhile ago so that their creation/last edit dates are older than the ones above. Are the routes from step one listed at the bottom in the XT Trip Planner app, still in departure date order? Can you discern the sort order of the other routes?
3. Do the mimport fix on all the routes using Frank's or the JaVaWa utility. Did the sort order in the XT Trip Planner app change from step 2 above?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Not ignoring your last post - but I had already started to build some tests.

Initial findings are slightly different from what I expected on the XT.

Imported routes with no date set are shown at the top of the list. They are in order proximity to the start point.
Routes with date/time set then follow in chronological order - based on the start date and time that is set for the first point in the route. I set a number of routes with the same date and same time. They were mixed up - certainly not related to distance. But why would you set a few different routes with the same date and time. There is no point in sub-sorting them based on distance from current position.

When importing routes they seemed to be listed in alphabetical order - but I sent them al from Basecamp, and that has them sorted into alphabetical order - so I suspect it will list them in the order that they appear in the files.

I haven't played with the mImport byte yet

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks for working on this John.

FWIW, I export my routes to my hard drive, copy them to the SD card, then import them into trip planner. All of my local routes have an almost exact proximity from my home because they use one of two starting points, either 100 yards left or 100 yards right out of my driveway.

If the XT only looks at departure date and proximity, then randomness is understandable for routes with no departure and the same proximity. However, in my test, one route in my trip did not have a departure date. If proximity were a factor, then that route should have been at the top of the list on the morning of its ride. It wasn't. The list order remained unchanged even though I was hundreds of miles away from the starting point of all of the local routes.

It would be great if someone could identity the sequence logic Garmin is using. That might then lead to some control over the sequence that routes are listed in in Trip Planner on the XT.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hmmm.

So your undated routes are at the top, but not in order of distance to the start point ?

Ok - I'll look a bit harder. I was hoping to have some screen shots from my other Zumos. In fact the 595 behaved exactly like the XT, so it must be the 590 that puts the routes under date headings. My 590 power rubber button has just fallen out, so it is sitting in pieces waiting for the flexible glue to set properly before I can try that again. That gives a much clearer view of what it is doing.

Nudge me if I don't respond soon. I lost power to my garage yesterday, and that needs sorting. No fuses blown, no circuit breakers tripped. I reckon a circuit breaker has failed, but it is far too awkward for me to get at.

jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Just had another quick look at my screen shots. I think you are right. I am wrong. Sorting is by date / time only. Proximity doesn't come into it. I was fooled by one of the screen shots whic supported my beliefs - but the others didn't. I'm getting careless in my old age !

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:59 am Just had another quick look at my screen shots. I think you are right. I am wrong. Sorting is by date / time only. Proximity doesn't come into it. I was fooled by one of the screen shots whic supported my beliefs - but the others didn't. I'm getting careless in my old age !
No worries. I am glad that you see what I see in that proximity does not appear to play a role in trip planner sort order.
I just let the XT create a 'curvy roads' route home my current position to home for my final day tomorrow. I started it and then saved it so that I can choose it in the morning. It appears at the top of list in trip planner. So, newly created routes from Basecamp end up at the bottom but newly created by the XT end up at the top. Color me befuddled.