How Do I Remove Excess Themes?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

How Do I Remove Excess Themes?

Post by rbentnail »

When I look at my XT I have themes' names repeated, sometime 3 times. How do I delete the copies? When I look at my XT when connected to my computer I see only one of each so I'm not sure how to clean out the extras. I'd like to show some screenshots but it seems my laptop doesn't do that anymore, and I've never figured out how to do them from the XT screen.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Re: How Do I Remove Excess Themes?

Post by lkraus »

Your duplicates are probably using different file names, but the displayed name is actually contained in the file. Likely the theme was modified in a text editor and saved with a different file name, but the <TITLE> field was not changed.

Every theme begins with a section like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<GARMIN_MAP_THEME>
  <METADATA>
    <TITLE>Garmin HV Wide</TITLE>
    <DESCRIPTION>Wide High Vis Theme</DESCRIPTION>
    <LOCALELIST>
      <locale>motorcycle</locale>
    </LOCALELIST>
    <Version><Major>3</Major><Minor>30</Minor></Version>
  </METADATA>
It is the TITLE that shows up on the Zumo menu.

I'd probably open each of the duplicates in a text editor and change the TEXT field to match the file name. Then I could distinguish between them on the XT and decide which version is worth keeping.

Another option that might be easier, open the files in the JaVaWa theme editor and make the changes there. You can use different tabs or windows for each file and compare the colors onscreen.
compare.jpg
compare.jpg (82.43 KiB) Viewed 124 times
To reduce menu "clutter", I've backed up all the themes in the \zūmo XT\Internal Storage\Themes\Map folder to my computer and deleted all but the default Garmin.kmtf and two others.

If your laptop runs Windows, there are some good tips here for creating screenshots. I think I call up Snip & Sketch via the PrtScr key at least once a day.

For screenshots from the XT, got to Settings>Display, scroll down and check the "Screenshot " box. A camera icon will appear in the top right of the screen. When it is tapped, the screen will be copied to a file in \zūmo XT\Internal Storage\Screenshot.
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

lkraus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm Your duplicates are probably using different file names, but the displayed name is actually contained in the file. Likely the theme was modified in a text editor and saved with a different file name, but the <TITLE> field was not changed.

Every theme begins with a section like this:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<GARMIN_MAP_THEME>
  <METADATA>
    <TITLE>Garmin HV Wide</TITLE>
    <DESCRIPTION>Wide High Vis Theme</DESCRIPTION>
    <LOCALELIST>
      <locale>motorcycle</locale>
    </LOCALELIST>
    <Version><Major>3</Major><Minor>30</Minor></Version>
  </METADATA>
It is the TITLE that shows up on the Zumo menu.

I'd probably open each of the duplicates in a text editor and change the TEXT field to match the file name. Then I could distinguish between them on the XT and decide which version is worth keeping.

Another option that might be easier, open the files in the JaVaWa theme editor and make the changes there. You can use different tabs or windows for each file and compare the colors onscreen.
compare.jpg

To reduce menu "clutter", I've backed up all the themes in the \zūmo XT\Internal Storage\Themes\Map folder to my computer and deleted all but the default Garmin.kmtf and two others.
Do you have any instructions in English? :o I have never seen on my Garmins nor on my computers any of what you are showing me here. I have just enough computer skills to be dangerous, literally. I understand zero of what you are saying. I just want know how to remove the excess themes from my XT. I connect it to my Win11 laptop and go to zumoXT/internal storage/themes/map. The names of the files I see do not match the names of the themes on my XT. How do I know which is which?

Also, is there a way to use the XT as a gps while it is connected to my computer? This plug in, unplug, repeat 5 or 6 or 7 times to try to get something done in a giant PITA!

lkraus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm If your laptop runs Windows, there are some good tips here for creating screenshots. I think I call up Snip & Sketch via the PrtScr key at least once a day.
I'm working through 6 or 8 suggestions from Google, youtube and duckduckgo but so far nothing seems to be working. It used towork with WIN+PRT SC, I don't know how I could have screwed it up.
lkraus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm For screenshots from the XT, got to Settings>Display, scroll down and check the "Screenshot " box. A camera icon will appear in the top right of the screen. When it is tapped, the screen will be copied to a file in \zūmo XT\Internal Storage\Screenshot.
Seems simple enough, I'll give it a try.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:52 pm I have just enough computer skills to be dangerous, literally. I understand zero of what you are saying. I just want know how to remove the excess themes from my XT. I connect it to my Win11 laptop and go to zumoXT/internal storage/themes/map. The names of the files I see do not match the names of the themes on my XT. How do I know which is which?
You could just try the themes, stick with the one that works for you and never look at that menu again. Theme files are very small and deleting the extras will not gain a noticeable amount of storage.

To understand why you see duplicates, you need to know that a theme file is a specially formatted text file with a .kmtf file extension. The XT menu does not display the file name, it displays the text defined within the file as the TITLE, as shown in my earlier post. It is likely that some of your themes were modified and given new file names, but TITLE was not changed.

OK, let's try this. Make a list of the duplicate/triplicate themes that you see in the XT menu, so you know what TITLEs to look for. The theme filenames are all unique, so we will be looking into the files to fix the ones with duplicate TITLES.

Connect the XT to the PC via USB. In File Explorer, navigate to zumoXT/internal storage/themes/map. Left-click and drag that entire Map folder over to your Desktop. (Trying to edit a theme on the XT with NotePad or JaVaWa will require extra steps).

Go to https://www.javawa.nl/zumocolors.html. Click the "Select theme file button". Navigate to the Map folder on your Desktop.

Look at the file dates on the .kmtf files. Open the first file newer than 2019. (Anything with a 2019 date is probably an original theme and can be ignored for now.). Click the Edit button.
title.png
title.png (22.75 KiB) Viewed 84 times
The top two lines will show the file name and the Title of the theme. These are the only two lines you need to look at. If the TITLE is one of the duplicates, and is the same as the filename, leave it alone. Go back a page and select another file to edit.

If the TITLE is a duplicate and is different than the filename, change it to match the file name (without the .kmtf extension), and Save the file.

Look at all the remaining theme files in the same way, correcting the titles as needed.

When complete, drag the corrected files (with todays date) from Desktop/Map back into zumoXT/internal storage/themes/map, overwriting the files with the same name.

Each theme should then have a unique name in the XT menu. You can try each one and decide to keep it or not. Reconnecting to your laptop and deleting the corresponding filename will remove it from the menu.