paynes1
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Re: CN NA 2025.10

Post by paynes1 »

Ikraus
Thanks for answering.
I hadn't gone via Edit-Options- (activity profile) before. Interestingly, and confusingly,if I go that route and select (2025.1) Activity Profile-Points 16 points are showing (minus Custom). This includes the ones that seem to be missing when I go via Find-Find Options then drop down 'All Points of Interest' on right side of screen.

If I put 'hotels' in the search box top right, it seems to populate hotels on the map that appear to be very similar to thos of 2024.2. If I put Lodging it shows hotels and campsites (tent symbol).

I hadn't discussed this with Garmin support so I will contact them with the above.

Steve P
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 110 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I misunderstood where you were finding the categories... I don't think I've ever noticed or used those Find options before.

I do now see all seventeen categories in the list, but it does not matter which map I select.

The categories here seem to restrict results to only the selected category.

If I select Hospitals, but search for "Lake" I see only hospitals with Lake in the name. Searching for "hotel" finds only some Canadian hospitals with hotel in the name (Hôtel-Dieu de Lévis), but no lodging.

Change the category to Recreation, and I see "Lake" parks but no hospitals.

I think if you select "All points of Interest" and then search for "hotel" you can avoid sleeping on your motorcycle, but you might have to ignore some results without the bed icon.

Or hope Garmin's idea to wait for a new map restores the missing categories.

You said you had trouble installing the 2025 map, I wonder if it is still not properly installed. Might be interesting to see what happens if you uninstall from the computer and then use only the map on the XT via USB cable.

One reason I did not know about the categories in Search was that I usually rely on Google. It gives me a lot more information on which to base my decision: prices, pictures, link to maps and Street View to see how safe or noisy the areas might be, etc. Once I've decided, I use BC search on the hotel name or address only to get a waypoint.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 277 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I despise the search bar functionality in Basecamp. It's behavior is not intuitive. My approach is to select the area of the map that I want to search and then press Ctrl+Alt+F. This opens a "Find Options" window. Click the "All Points of Interest" box to select a specific category, most of which will contain sub-categories for narrowing the search.
pasted.png
pasted.png (43.06 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Once you have selected the appropriate category (you do not HAVE to select a subcategory), clicking the Search button will bring up a list of the hits in the area around where the map is centered as well as balloons showing locations on the map.
pasted.png
pasted.png (781.02 KiB) Viewed 182 times
At the top of the list you can see that I selected the category "Lodging" and its subcategory "Hotels/Motels". You can change those here to modify your search. Obviously this is only useful if you want to see what is in a certain area and not for searching out a specific POI by name or address.

BTW, a corrupted ProductDataCache can result in a significant loss of categories and subcategories. This can be fixed by deleting or renaming the ProductDataCache directory which will result in it being rebuilt on next Basecamp startup. I have had to do this twice in the three years that I have been using Basecamp.
The ProductDataCache directory is located in: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Garmin\BaseCamp\
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
paynes1
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by paynes1 »

Hurrah!!

Thanks Peobody.

I renamed the ProductDataCache directory as you suggested and re-opened BC. A new version of the ProductDataCache directory was created, and when I opened BC again the drop down 'All Points of Interest' was fully populated.

I will let Garmin support know your solution.

Steve P
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Try clearing the cache by deleting C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Garmin\BaseCamp\ProductDataCache and DeviceCache
Florida Red Wing
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by Florida Red Wing »

MSTOCK27370 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:51 pm I just updated my computer and devices with the new CN NA 2025.10 maps. A Nuvi 54, Zumo 590, Z 396 and Z 550, all with lifetime maps.

All updated with no issues. The 54LM and the 590 both have SD cards installed to increase available storage, so there was no issue with map size.
The 396 still has enough internal memory so it also loaded the map without issue.
The 550 has an SD card. I used Mapinstall to load all of the USA and most of Canada onto the SD card up to the 4GB limit that Mapinstall shows as I was selecting the maps. This too went to completion and is working - except for the street name display issue that's been present in the newer maps for over a year.
Michael, what's your secret to load CN NA 2025.1 to your Zumo 550. The latest maps Garmin allows me to load to my 550 is 2024.1. My understanding is the Zumo 550 will no longer be supported with new maps. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks,
FRW
MSTOCK27370
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

Florida Red Wing wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:21 pm
Michael, what's your secret to load CN NA 2025.1 to your Zumo 550. The latest maps Garmin allows me to load to my 550 is 2024.1. My understanding is the Zumo 550 will no longer be supported with new maps. Am I wrong about that?
Your 550 must have an SD in it or there isn't enough memory to load maps.
I install maps to my computer first.
I attach the 550 to the computer and run the install to computer again. This only takes a minute or two and it loads the unlock file on the 550.
Then I run Mapinstall and load the map to the 550 SD card.

** CAUTION ** If you do this step with the SD card installed in the Zumo and the 550 attached to the computer, it will take HOURS. The USB connection is very slow. There are some other steps that I have written down, just not infront of me now. You copy a couple of files from the 550 insternal memory to the SD card. Then you remove the 550, and remove the SD card and put it into an SD card reader - if your computer has one. The files you copied onto the SD card makes the software think it is looking at the Z 550 with much larger memory, not an SD card. The Mapinstall to the SD card attached this way only takes about 30 or 40 minutes. If you need this last couple of steps, I can find my notes.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 357 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

All you need on the card is a folder named Garmin containing the file GarminDevice.xml copied from the Garmin folder on your device. Once you have the map on your card remember to delete that file
Florida Red Wing
United States of America

So, my original question was, when I plug my Zumo 550 into my PC and attempt to load new maps it will allow me to reload CN NA 24.10, but doesn't give me any more options. When I searched Garmin's website I found this:
Florida Red Wing
United States of America

So, my original question was,

Thanks,
FRW

When I plug my Zumo 550 into my PC and attempt to load new maps it will allow me to reload CN NA 24.10, but doesn't give me any more options for version 2024.2 or version 2025.1.

When I searched Garmin's website I found this: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=F which states that the Zumo 550 will no longer be supported with new versions of maps.

It sure would be nice to be able to update my Zumo 550 to the latest maps available from Garmin, but I don't see a way to do that, even to the SD card installed in the unit.

If there is a work around, any help you can provide this non-tech old man would be appreciated.

Thanks,
FRW